Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The open

Right, starts tomorrow on the kent golf coast. I will be sitting in my pants for 12 hours tomorrow, glued to the box with no distractions. Would love to see a Rory Donald shootout on Sunday. Think Harrington and Jason day and good each way punts and paddy power are paying seven places. I was talking to a caddy at my course on Sunday and he is carrying for an unknown yank called chris tidland. Reckons he's playing well and well under the radar a la Ben Curtis. Have backed him at 1500/1 with bet 365! He's half that with paddy's. Also look out for a young Danish lid called thorbjorn oleson. 250s with paddy but probably longer elsewhere.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Jason Day is a good shout - but the fact he won't have played much (if any) links golf would rule him out for me. I've got a sneaking suspicion it will be Donald or Westwood. Both of them are playing well and have been for a while. Rory won't win it - I don't think he'll win again until next year. For an outside bet, try Robert Rock. In a superb run of form, and is about 150/1
  • Options
    Jason Day is a good shout - but the fact he won't have played much (if any) links golf would rule him out for me. I've got a sneaking suspicion it will be Donald or Westwood. Both of them are playing well and have been for a while. Rory won't win it - I don't think he'll win again until next year. For an outside bet, try Robert Rock. In a superb run of form, and is about 150/1
    Like Rock and having recently tasted success for the first time recently there are worst 150 shots out there.

The other one I like is Henrik Stenson (95 on BF). His last couple of tournaments offered some return to form and with form figures of 3-13-3 for his last three Opens he's another not without hope at a big price.

• Options
    I'm gonna have a punt on Stricker (35/1) and Westwood (11/1) both with Paddy Power

Heard that if you open a new account and bet £50 with PP you get triple the odds!

Each way with PP a 1/4 the odds with 7 places too
  • Options
    Think you need to sign up on your phone for that offer from PP Creepy.
  • Options

I've done:

Watney 35/1 e/w, Schwartzel 45/1 e/w, Cabrera 75/1 e/w

Just hope I've got some sort of interest come Sunday

• Options
    Cheers mike!
  • Options
    Gmac each way - 33/1 with ladbrokes this morning.
  • Options
    e/w Dustin Johnson & Ricky Fowler. Gone with the Yanks.
  • Options

Got a couple of Sheckels on George Coetzee @ 175/1.

In good form and likes a links course.

• Options
    Bjorn looks good - was thinking of a bet on him last week and never got round to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011

Bjorn     -6

Jiminez -3

Cink      -3

McIlroy +1

• Options
    heard the course is lookin shite and has got a bit of stick this morning off the commentators?
  • Options
    Commentators always moan about Sandwich. They've been spoiled by seeing golf in the US - where every course looks like it was designed to try and encourage players to shoot under 60. Links golf is a f***er for people not used to it, and commentators know that their bread and butter is keeping the 'best' players in the world happy. If they say they don't like it, commentators will agree.
  • Options
    They've actually being saying the Greens are very good. Can't be that bad if Bjorn is -6. And who wants to see yet another tournament won by someone shooting -20 anyway?
  • Options

fowler up to -2. course could look like barnehurst if it likes as long as ricky keeps tucking them away.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    -6 Thomas Bjorn: Hole 17
    -3 Stewart Cink: Hole 12
    -3 Miguel Angel Jiminez:
    Hole 13
    -3 Simon Dyson: Hole 17
    -2 Ryan Moore:: Hole 15
    -2 Rickie
    Fowler: Hole 9
  • Options
    backed Donald at 14s, Mickleson at 33s, Kim at 66s and Bjorn at 175/1.

no adverse comments about the course from the commentators really, just that its tough.  the course & the R&A have made a few holes easier by widening / flattening the fairways but they've also lowered par to 70, from 71.  that said, par is largely irrelevant you just need to have the lowest score come Sunday pm.  whether that's +5 or -15 doesn't make any difference.

if the weather picks up Bjorn's current score could win it.
  • Options
    Had a little bit of interest on Donald & Westwood with Mickleson e/w.
  • Options
    for some reason my old man always put a tickle on Jiminez for the Majors
  • Options
    Dustin Johnsons just gone birdie, hole in one, birdie, birdie!!!!.......go on my son!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    for me betting on the britsh open is like betting on the grand national .one of the favourites will win but you are always gonna get a story with an unfancied runner going for glory ...

darren clarke might feature come sunday,rory too,i fancy jiminez even more  now ..his game is v suited and it wd alsobe good for golf if sergio broke his duck

...and if the weather does get filthy i ll enjoy even more looking at it on the box sunday afternoon !
  • Options
    Westwood 3 over after 5 holes.
  • Options
    for me betting on the britsh open is like betting on the grand national .one of the favourites will win but you are always gonna get a story with an unfancied runner going for glory ...

darren clarke might feature come sunday,rory too,i fancy jiminez even more  now ..his game is v suited and it wd alsobe good for golf if sergio broke his duck

...and if the weather does get filthy i ll enjoy even more looking at it on the box sunday afternoon !
    Jiminez has been Charltonised :-)
  • Options
    Just got back from what has been the best day at work ever, I was down the golf access to all areas virtually, from the locker room to the t's , the only place I wernt aloud was the greens, what an amazing experience can't wait for tomorrow I love my new job
  • Options
    Erm you meant to be out running!!
  • Options
    mate i have walked rd sandwich golf club about 4 times i reckon, just going do long walking today, will run tomorrow night 9pm in diary already
  • Options
    I'm going to the Open tomorrow. I'm not much of a golf fan to be honest but I couldn't pass on a major event near to where I live and considering I was given the ticket.
  • Options
    Anyone else on here that hates golf? I'm not sure how it ever got classified as a sport. It's right up there with darts and syncronised swimming.
  • Options
    Anyone else on here that hates golf? I'm not sure how it ever got classified as a sport. It's right up there with darts and syncronised swimming.
    Fail
  • Options
    I was there today. Brilliant day. I wish I was going all 4 days.