Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v India - 1st Test at Lords

Comments

• Options
    Along with Hamiltons epic drive in an inferior car to win the GP, and the cricket, it is a bloody good day for English sport!
  • Options
    Great knock by matt prior he has to be the worlds best wicket keeper batsman in the world at the moment . Anyone seen the size of tremletts guns ?
    There's Kumar Sangakkara, but he doesn't always keep wicket these days, similarly Brendan McCullan. But Matt Prior did exactly what England needed today.
  • Options

And Broad continues to have a great Test...

Mukund goes bowled for 12, Gambir is injured, Tendulkar was off the field for ages and can't bat until middle of the first session tomorrow, so in comes VVS Laxman. That's either Very, Very Special, or Very, Very Shaky...

• Options

And Broad continues to have a great Test...

Mukund goes bowled for 12, Gambir is injured, Tendulkar was off the field for ages and can't bat until middle of the first session tomorrow, so in comes VVS Laxman. That's either Very, Very Special, or Very, Very Shaky...

It will certainly be an interesting day tomorrow .. me? .. I fancy a draw .. a tight one
  • Options

Prior is a top, top batsman, he plays better in high-pressure situations.

Surely has to be seen as our best keeper/batsman since Alan Knott.

The way Prior is going he will end up with a Test average of 45 or so - one of the highest ever achieved by any English batsman, let alone a keeper.

• Options
    edited July 2011

The way Prior is going he will end up with a Test average of 45 or so - one of the highest ever achieved by any English batsman, let alone a keeper.

Battingwise no argument from me but his wicketkeeping is more debatable.

Knott could both wicketkeep and bat and, in my opinion, is England's undisputed number one KEEPERBATSMAN over the 50 years I've been watching. Much as it galls me to say it Alec Stewart is probably next on the list with Prior battling it out for third with fellow Sussex player Jim Parks.

If we're talking best wicketkeeper and ignoring the batting I'd still choose Knott but Bob Taylor runs him close with Jack Russell or Keith Andrew third from what I've seen.

I await Chirpy's disagreement :-)

• Options

Battingwise no argument from me but his wicketkeeping is more debatable.

Knott could both wicketkeep and bat and, in my opinion, is England's undisputed number one KEEPERBATSMAN over the 50 years I've been watching. Much as it galls me to say it Alec Stewart is probably next on the list with Prior battling it out for third with fellow Sussex player Jim Parks.

If we're talking best wicketkeeper and ignoring the batting I'd still choose Knott but Bob Taylor runs him close with Jack Russell or Keith Andrew third from what I've seen.

I await Chirpy's disagreement :-)

No doubt Knott was the best pure keeper in my mind, although some argue for Bob Taylor.

In terms of batting, its so hard to compare eras because Stewart played against far better bowlers (Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Pollock, Warne, McGrath, Gillespie) than those that are around today.

Having said that, Prior has scored his runs in a lot of very important situations and has batted at 6/7 in tough spots whereas Stewart opened a lot and played at number 3 so had more chances to build longer innings.

Impossible, albeit interesting, to compare different eras.

• Options
    we're going tomorrow. can't wait. got our booze ready to take in! 
  • Options
    Dravid gone, massive early blow, 95-2
  • Options

Place is full of Indians!

Know a bargain eh. . . . . . .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking like a draw to me
  • Options
    england just taken 2 quick wickets....139-4
  • Options
    218-5 (chasing 458). Tea.
  • Options

38 overs to go...

And India down to 4 wickets left, Harbijahn Singh is in and while he can bat he doesn't tend to like the short stuff.

• Options
    This is going down to the wire
  • Options
    Morgan drops. Aaahhh!

Looked dead on lb two balls later an' all.

Still, £3.20 a pint of strongbow in the tavern stand so I ain't complaining.
  • Options
    243-7, should be able to win this now.
  • Options
    Harbhajan Singh c Tremlett b Anderson 12
  • Options
    Morgan drops. Aaahhh!

Looked dead on lb two balls later an' all.

Still, £3.20 a pint of strongbow in the tavern stand so I ain't complaining.
    Did you see the last 2 wickets ?   ;-)
  • Options

33 overs left...three wickets.

I can't see India taking anything away from this Test.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

33 overs left...three wickets.

I can't see India taking anything away from this Test.

Might only be two wickets.

Will Zaheer bat if there are (say) 30 overs left do you think?

• Options
    Yes, Zaheer has a hamstring strain and light exercise should be ok, he'll be batting with a runner.
  • Options
    How many overs left ?
  • Options
    How many overs left ?
  • Options
    256/8!
  • Options

261-9

Zaheer batting with a runner as suggested by BFR

• Options
    India 261 all out. 
  • Options
    All over...fantastic performance by England...KP or Jimmy MOM for me..
  • Options
    A classic Test Match.
  • Options
    All over and I've still got two pints left.

Brilliant day's cricket. How does one become a member at lords?