Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v India - 1st Test at Lords

13»

Comments

• Options
    All over...fantastic performance by England...KP or Jimmy MOM for me..
    Don't forget Broad! 7 wickets and a 50. 
  • Options
    Broad or KP for MOM. Something I didn't expect to be saying at the end of this match :-)

Great performance, but India will have Zaheer back and I think Sehwag also, so there is no way that England can start to think that they will dominate like they did against Sri Lanka.
  • Options
    All over and I've still got two pints left.

Brilliant day's cricket. How does one become a member at lords?
    you have to join the MCC, which has a 15 year waiting list
  • Options
    All over and I've still got two pints left. Brilliant day's cricket. How does one become a member at lords?
    Presumably you could join Middlesex which would be easier?
  • Options

How do you join the waiting list?
  • Options
    Was anyone else getting irritated by the constant adoration of Tendulkar?

I'm not talking about the indian fans, I'm talking about the commentators - I know he's one of the all time greats and I absolutely admire him as a cricketer and I know there's the whole thing with the "2000th test, the 100th England v India Test and Tendulkar on 99 centuries" thing, but for god's sake, Aggers was talking about him getting a century when he was only on 4 today!
    Never thought I'd want a player of his quality to fail, but I did today - through no fault of his own, just because I wanted them to stop going on about it!
    Also, the commentators on Sky and Radio 4 were just as bad as each other - but I found Aggers most irritating because I expect so much better from him and the rest of the Radio 4 lot.

Rant over.

(Great, great match though!)
  • Options

http://www.lords.org/mcc/about-mcc/membership/
  • Options
    Broad or KP for MOM. Something I didn't expect to be saying at the end of this match :-)

Great performance, but India will have Zaheer back and I think Sehwag also, so there is no way that England can start to think that they will dominate like they did against Sri Lanka.

Sehwag isn't back until the third Test, and I doubt that Zaheer will play in the second Test. If he does then India will have to drop a batsman to play an extra bowler as the chances of him breaking down again will be high. India have the batsmen, but lack a quality seam attack.

• Options

Broad MoM for me, seven wickets and a crucial 75 not out is a brilliant all-round contribution.

He is so much a better bowler when he pitches it up and swings the thing rather than bowl all of that short pitched tripe.

• Options

The important bit is:

"Four MCC Members need to support a person's nomination for Membership of the Club."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The important bit is:

"Four MCC Members need to support a person's nomination for Membership of the Club."
    hmm, the stripey red and yellow socks won't be enough to get me in then...
  • Options

Broad MoM for me, seven wickets and a crucial 75 not out is a brilliant all-round contribution.

He is so much a better bowler when he pitches it up and swings the thing rather than bowl all of that short pitched tripe.

I heard someone talking about Broad before the test saying that he needs to decide whether he wants to be the Glen McGrath type bowler, nagging accuracy and always on a length, or 'the Enforcer', and he was saying thatthe England bowling coaches should be telling him to be the former. It looks as though that has been said to him and he has got instant results.  
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I heard someone talking about Broad before the test saying that he needs to decide whether he wants to be the Glen McGrath type bowler, nagging accuracy and always on a length, or 'the Enforcer', and he was saying thatthe England bowling coaches should be telling him to be the former. It looks as though that has been said to him and he has got instant results.  
    I think most people have thought this for a couple of years now. Broad is by far at his best when he's doing what Mc***th did for years - every delivery moving away from the batsman on teh same line and length until they lose the will to live. I f***ing hate Mc***th, but he is the most effective bowler I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Yep, McGrath - great bowler - utter tossbag
  • Options
    Yep, McGrath - great bowler - utter tossbag

No doubt about that, the way he whores his private life in the Australian trashy magazine market - selling photos of his wedding to his second wife to the highest bidder - marks him an utter chunt.

Ironic really, for someone who fancied himself as an ace sledger he was on the end of the two best return sledges of all time from Eddo Brandes and Ramnaresh Sarwan.

For me, I think Sarwan's was the better riposte.

• Options
    i can understand him flogging those photos as he wants to make money and provide a better life/style for his family by doing so .... each to their own
  • Options
    The Brandes one is, I'm sure, an urban legend. Don't think he ever even played against McGrath. The Sarwan one though is absolute genius. Mc***th's reaction to it (petulant, screaming bitch) marks him out as just the sort of c*** everyone knows he is. I've hated plenty of Aussie cricketers over the years (Waugh, Healy, Hayden to name a few) but none as much as that lanky prick. And it has nothing to do with how good he was - a succession of Saffer fast bowlers have, at one time or another, been absolutely devastating against England (Donald, Pollock, Steyn) but you'll not hear a bad word said about them from anyone who faced them - left absolutely everything out on the field, but fantastic blokes off the field, and always come across extremely well in interviews, in the press and on TV. McGrath's just a c*** - always was, and always will be.
  • Options
    i can understand him flogging those photos as he wants to make money and provide a better life/style for his family by doing so .... each to their own

Turn it up Ooaahhh! The bloke is already loaded, he earned around A$1.8 million per year as a basic salary on his Cricket Australia contract for the last six years of his career and was on around A$1.2 million for the years before that.

Basically speaking, he earnt a shitload of money - by Australian cricket standards - from around 1997/98 (when their contarcts were massively upgraded) until his retirement in 2007 from just his standard contracts.

That's not taking into account all the sponsorship money and his County Cricket payments as well as his IPL payments (of around from the Delhi Daredevils - what a name! - that he also trousered which paid him A$700,000 for playing a handful of games.

The bloke just sold his house in Cronulla for a cool A$6 million!!!

I really don't think that when you are pulling in that kind of money that you need to be selling pictures of your kids to trashy magazines - especially given the fact that their mother has died - it might be more advisable to show some dignity and keep your private life to yourself.

To be fair to McGrath he does run a brilliant charity for cancer sufferers, the Jane McGrath foundation, named for his late wife that funds cancer nurses to work in remote/rural Australia but I find the way he whores his family to the media an utter embarrassment and disgrace.

• Options
    The Brandes one is, I'm sure, an urban legend. Don't think he ever even played against McGrath. The Sarwan one though is absolute genius. Mc***th's reaction to it (petulant, screaming bitch) marks him out as just the sort of c*** everyone knows he is. I've hated plenty of Aussie cricketers over the years (Waugh, Healy, Hayden to name a few) but none as much as that lanky prick. And it has nothing to do with how good he was - a succession of Saffer fast bowlers have, at one time or another, been absolutely devastating against England (Donald, Pollock, Steyn) but you'll not hear a bad word said about them from anyone who faced them - left absolutely everything out on the field, but fantastic blokes off the field, and always come across extremely well in interviews, in the press and on TV. McGrath's just a c*** - always was, and always will be.

From my own cricketing connections here in Brisbane over the last 15 years I have met a few of those on your list or at least know people who know them very well.

Ian Healy: Actually a very decent bloke, goes OTT in his commentary on C9 but is actually OK in person.

Matthew Hayden: Utter chunt. Not very popular at all with many outside of QLD, as thick as shit and probably the most arrogant twat I have ever met.

Steve Waugh: Not met him but the word from Brett Lee (via my mate who played with Lee in Sydney Grade cricket) is that Waugh is a very strange bloke, he keeps a distance between himself and others and is quite cold.

Glenn McGrath: Already stated my views on him.

Brett Lee & Darren Lehmann: Champion blokes, will have a beer and chat with anyone.

Justin Langer: Squeaky voiced little arse-licker.

• Options

Actually, I just thought of an even better sledge against an Aussie....

Mark Waugh standing at second slip in a Test against NZ, the new player, Kiwi wicket-keeper Adam Parore, comes to the crease playing & missing the first ball he faces.

Mark Waugh: "Oh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were shit then, you're f*****g useless now."

Adam Parore (turning around): "Yeah, that's me. And when I was here last time you were going out with that old, ugly slut. And now I hear you've married her, you dumb c**t!"

FYI: Mark Waugh had a long-running relationship with a much older woman, Sue Porter, who was 17 years older than him.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/140489.html

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    as i said each to his own and it's his choice what he does with his family as it is with all of us 
    i put it down to someone trying to make hay while the sun shines
  • Options
    I know a few people who have met Brett Lee. Every single one of them has said he is one of the nicest sportsmen you could ever hope to meet - an absolute diamond geezer. I always loved watching him play - guaranteed to be a contest every step of the way. The moment at Edgbaston with Flintoff consoling Lee epitomises absolutely everything about what makes test cricket such an incredible spectacle - and the Ashes themselves the pinnacle of sport.

• Options
    No one's mentioned Warne. I couldn't stand him when he first came over here but have warmed to him since. He talks a lot of sense about the game and seems to like England and the English.
  • Options
    No one's mentioned Warne. I couldn't stand him when he first came over here but have warmed to him since. He talks a lot of sense about the game and seems to like England and the English.

Warne = Legend.

Met him very briefly in 2002 and he was OK, but he is basically the Oz equivalent of Beckham meaning that every bogan in Christiandom wants to pick a fight with him whenever he is in public.

• Options
    Cracking picture Leroy, and great recall of a good time.
  • Options

They are both true - the Edo Brandes one came in a ODI and the Sarwan incident was this Test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OIgxnO5-s