Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Subs down from 7 to 5

Apologies if there was already a thread (couldn't spot it) but the league is returning to five on the bench. Still seven in cup games though.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20110721/league-clubs-to-reduce-subs-from-7-to-5_2293334_2398424/0,,10794,00.html

Comments

• Options
    Just saw that on Twitter. Shame for the young players who had a better chance of making the bench.
  • Options
    Backward move I think.....agree with Scoham....even if they dont get on the park (young pro's)..there's no substitute for being in and around the first team on match day!! (Excuse the pun!!)
  • Options
    I prefer the current system. Not only does it give the younger members of the squad a better chance of getting some game time, it also gives you more options. 
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Reverting to five puts more of a premium on players who can play in more than one position (like how Stevie Brown on the bench used to cover four or five positions). Hope this is an eventuality we factored into our purchases, presumably we would have had an inkling in advance that this decision was coming.
  • Options
    Can't understand this. Surely there was a reason to move to 7 subs. Whatever that reason was, is it now invalid?
  • Options
    That sucks. Football Manager is going to become considerably harder again. And it means the likes of Bover and Harriot won't be as likely to make the squad.
  • Options
    That sucks. Football Manager is going to become considerably harder again. And it means the likes of Bover and Harriot won't be as likely to make the squad.
    Yep, my squad is quite big on football manager.

Oh well just going to have to get promotion to the Premier League even sooner so we can go back to 7
  • Options
    And choosing subs for FIFA will be harder. 
  • Options
    Does seem a shame for the youngsters but I've never seen the NEED for 7 subs, other than giving the big boys another advantage, and a chance to make some of their superfluous signings feel more valued. Every manager should really be able to cover all eventualities with a squad of 16 and some clubs have struggled to name 18 realistic options anyway.
  • Options
    if this news came out yesterday i would of been happy, would of kept mcoxo further out the squad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cant see any positives in this
  • Options
    but the multi-ball system is gone. should make ball boy's jobs easier because they couldn't handle more than 1.
  • Options
    The 7 sub rule only came in a couple of seasons ago didn't it?
  • Options
    Can't understand this. Surely there was a reason to move to 7 subs. Whatever that reason was, is it now invalid?

I think the problem was that some clubs were having trouble finding match-day squads of 18 players. With injuries, suspensions etc it often meant that youth team players were stuck on the bench, that isn't a bad thing, but transporting extra players and their kit and having them stay overnight for some away games was adding to the expense of running clubs.

This looks sensible to me.

• Options

I think the problem was that some clubs were having trouble finding match-day squads of 18 players. With injuries, suspensions etc it often meant that youth team players were stuck on the bench, that isn't a bad thing, but transporting extra players and their kit and having them stay overnight for some away games was adding to the expense of running clubs.

This looks sensible to me.

That's not really a good reason to revert back to 5 in my opinion - if a team cannot name 18 fit, eligible players, surely they just name a smaller number?

Why was it increased in the first place?
  • Options
    Is it league 1 or all of the football league?
  • Options
    Is it league 1 or all of the football league?
    Yes its for the whole football league but is it also for the premiership?
  • Options
    Think this is a poor decision tbh, cant understand why they would bother as 7 options seems like the perfect number
  • Options

I can't see whats wrong with this new change - you can only play 3 subs in any case (and many times last season we didn't use all 3) so why do you need 7 sitting there - 5 is surely enough.

• Options

I can't see whats wrong with this new change - you can only play 3 subs in any case (and many times last season we didn't use all 3) so why do you need 7 sitting there - 5 is surely enough.

It gives the manager more options (with some managers maybe that's not a good thing) and it involves more of the squad in the matchday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers,

Five is more than enough IMHO. Might mean no GK on the bench which is great when there keeper is sent off.
  • Options

It's probably a disadvantage to us as we're likely to have one of the better squads in L1, but I can appreciate the majority of clubs trying to make ends meet would be in favour of it. Only issue is you would need more flexible players in order to be able to vary tactics with fewer bodies available. For example, there may not be room for eg Evina in a five man bench, which might mean switching to a wing-back formation, should the game require it, is slightly harder. And so on.

• Options

Blame Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

He goes into management and they reduce the number of subs to accommodate his ample posterior on the bench! :-)

• Options
    Henry Irving said

'Five is more than enough IMHO. Might mean no GK on the bench which is great when there keeper is sent off.
    '

Won't be as bad for us though Henry if Taylor is playing because he used to be a keeper in his younger days.
  • Options
    CP has been building a squad based on the 7 subs rule...I hope this doesnt scupper the masterplan.
  • Options

It's probably a disadvantage to us as we're likely to have one of the better squads in L1, but I can appreciate the majority of clubs trying to make ends meet would be in favour of it. Only issue is you would need more flexible players in order to be able to vary tactics with fewer bodies available. For example, there may not be room for eg Evina in a five man bench, which might mean switching to a wing-back formation, should the game require it, is slightly harder. And so on.

Good points
    Henry Irving said

'Five is more than enough IMHO. Might mean no GK on the bench which is great when there keeper is sent off.
    '

Won't be as bad for us though Henry if Taylor is playing because he used to be a keeper in his younger days.
    Good spot.  no place for Sullivan on the bench then.
  • Options
    Good job too. Seven is far too many, especially given that only a maximum of three can be used. This is football not 'grid iron' or basketball, keep it simple
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'd like to see 7 subs and let teams use all of them. Could help to invogorate dull games that are going nowhere. Also would be a great way to introduce young players which could ultimately beenfit the national game.

It is true that some teams in financial trouble were unable to fill their bench which embaresses the league so may be a reason behind this.
  • Options
    This is a football league ruling so  does not apply to Prem.,FA Cup or League Cup, but does for Paint pot trophy
  • Options
    it was only 5 in jpt anyway.