Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Subs down from 7 to 5

2»

Comments

• Options
    Can't understand this. Surely there was a reason to move to 7 subs. Whatever that reason was, is it now invalid?

I think the problem was that some clubs were having trouble finding match-day squads of 18 players. With injuries, suspensions etc it often meant that youth team players were stuck on the bench, that isn't a bad thing, but transporting extra players and their kit and having them stay overnight for some away games was adding to the expense of running clubs.

This looks sensible to me.

I'm sure you're right regarding the reasons why it's being implemented- will make a more level playing field.

However, I'm still not sure much has changed in the last 2 years. Shouldn't the viability of 7 subs been assessed *before* allowing it across the 3 divisions? Just seems like the Football League could be concentrating on more important matters than discussing the number of substitutes and whether ball boys should each be allocated a ball.
  • Options
    I guess more players are going to get the hump with not being on the bench , which will in turn lead to more players wanting transfers , which will filter down the food chain to us in the January transfer window perhaps? maybe they'll be one or 2 bargains to be had.
  • Options
    I'd like to see 7 subs and let teams use all of them. Could help to invogorate dull games that are going nowhere. Also would be a great way to introduce young players which could ultimately beenfit the national game.

It is true that some teams in financial trouble were unable to fill their bench which embaresses the league so may be a reason behind this.
    or you go 1-0 up with twenty minutes to go and bring on six defenders to hold the fort .. etc etc
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It would be pretty suicidal to do that and would actually make for an entertaining game as the attacking team lays seige. And are you going to have a GK and six defenders as your subs? I think having more subs tends to allow managers more attacking options.
  • Options
    It would be pretty suicidal to do that and would actually make for an entertaining game as the attacking team lays seige. And are you going to have a GK and six defenders as your subs? I think having more subs tends to allow managers more attacking options.
    you have a point of course. My reply was intended as an extreme example. I mantain though that five is enough to have sitting on the bench given that only three can ever be used . Also bear in mind the cost of overnight stays etc for two extra players. In these austere days: 'every little helps', now who said that
  • Options
    Travel Inn from £29 a night  - how about 7 subs but 2 must be under 21 - and you can use all of them.  
  • Options
    Travel Inn from £29 a night  - how about 7 subs but 2 must be under 21 - and you can use all of them.  
    The two under 21 - is that to get a cheaper rate at the hotel?!
  • Options
    You have been conned by fat Lenny Henry (or is he premier inn?)  to believe that rooms are actually available for £29, when and where you want them. Anyway, Travel Inn is but a tad above staying in a tent.  And all 7 subs?. Have you ever watched rugby when all the subs are on the pitch?. The game generally degenerates into a seond class, second team spectacle. I'm old school. Pick a team and stick by it. I'd go back to the days when the only subs allowed were for injuries. Where's super sub Peacock when you need him
  • Options
    Talking about away trips, surely we take more than 16/18 up to games anyway, in case players fail late fitness tests or get injured in the warm-up. I would imagine at least 18 players will travel under the five subs rule anyway...
  • Options
    Talking about away trips, surely we take more than 16/18 up to games anyway, in case players fail late fitness tests or get injured in the warm-up. I would imagine at least 18 players will travel under the five subs rule anyway...
    I spent a night a while ago in Holiday Inn Brighouse near Huddersfield. It was Grimsby's relegation season, the season before last. The Grimsby outfit was playing down the road at Rochdale. I counted 29 Grimsby personnel in that party. 29! all staying overnight and having f e bs and fruit and 'power drinks' . This is modern football, more chiefs and squaws than Indians. No wonder football is going broke. Holiday Inn Brighouse b t w .. lovely hotel. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, we will take sub subs in case somebody gets injured or becomes ill - the manager will often add a few youngsters to gain experience too. Just think it could be a good way to blood 'em in - 3-0 up with 15 to go,it would allow say Cousins to be given a taste. I can't see that as a bad thing and will help the game in general as most Football League youngsters will be British and this would help tehir development.  
  • Options
    Yes, we will take sub subs in case somebody gets injured or becomes ill - the manager will often add a few youngsters to gain experience too. Just think it could be a good way to blood 'em in - 3-0 up with 15 to go,it would allow say Cousins to be given a taste. I can't see that as a bad thing and will help the game in general as most Football League youngsters will be British and this would help tehir development.  
    Coming on 3-0 up will lead to a complacent youngster. 'This is easy'... bring him on 1-0 down with 5 minutes to go. That is a man from boy, wheat from chaff sorter outer