Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Desperate for Strikers

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
With only two weeks to the season starts we in the same position as last year no bloody decent strikers. For god sake surely we are not going to get Euell in place of benson and with BWP and Hayes I can't say they look the most threatening forwards........................I do have grave concerns now for the comming season unless we get at least two quality strikers.

Comments

• Options
    What a load of tosh, BWP doesn't look threatening to you? Did you bother watching anything last season?
  • Options
    Let's give them baseball bats. :-)
  • Options
    have to agree with you dingdong - out of the strikers we have, only BWP is of any quality. Popo is young and raw and what I have seen (& heard) of Hayes then I would say he is worse than Benson...........as for Jason Euell - just too old !!
  • Options
    Can't see euell signing but find it strange how so many on here have written him off. If he did sign, the only question would be who will partner him?
  • Options
    We need two in if Benno departs. I assume that we are waiting for the Prem loans to become available but might spend a little again assuming Benson leaves. BWP is not the sort of player who would pull trees up in friendly games and I have no doubt he will score a lot of goals again. Hayes should chip in with plus ten but in all honesty we must get another fifteen plus striker if promotion is to be achieved. Time enough yet but I hope the wheels are in motion.
  • Options

Hope Euell isn't being considered as replacement to Benson.  Euell was more midfielder than striker, even though he had a couple of seasons up front.

• Options

Hope Euell isn't being considered as replacement to Benson.  Euell was more midfielder than striker, even though he had a couple of seasons up front.

Euell looked sharp today. Contributed more in 20 mins than Hayes did in 70.
  • Options

Euell looked sharp today. Contributed more in 20 mins than Hayes did in 70.
    Ok fair enough, so you think he had a 20 mins cameo and looked better than Hayes, I find that more of a concern that Hayes isn't up to speed than Euell is the answer to our needing 2 strikers if Benno goes,   But the point I made. We alll know what Euell is or isn't capable of but he isn't an out and out striker. 
  • Options
    what about Euell behind BWP? Euell was always better "in the hole"
  • Options

Euell was certainly better in midfield, awful when he first joined & played up front & didn't exactly shine afterwards either. Midfield fine but do we need a midfielder rather than a couple of strikers ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Euell was certainly better in midfield, awful when he first joined & played up front & didn't exactly shine afterwards either. Midfield fine but do we need a midfielder rather than a couple of strikers ?

Do we really have too many centre mids though? Only got 3 really. Stephens, Hollands and Alonso who hasn't been seen yet so don't think Euell would be a bad idea to have whatever the position.
  • Options
    utility player never hurts anybody!

• Options
    Euell still played for Donny in CCC last season and held his place ,Benson's departure may open the door.
  • Options
    With only two weeks to the season starts we in the same position as last year no bloody decent strikers. For god sake surely we are not going to get Euell in place of benson and with BWP and Hayes I can't say they look the most threatening forwards........................I do have grave concerns now for the comming season unless we get at least two quality strikers.
    I am sorry but that is just ridiculous.

What are you on that BWP is not threatening? He was scoring goals for us last season and as for Haynes have you seen him play apart from the friendlies? 

I do agree that we need a couple more strikers but give them a chance first before jumping to conslusions before the season starts.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Do we really have too many centre mids though? Only got 3 really. Stephens, Hollands and Alonso who hasn't been seen yet so don't think Euell would be a bad idea to have whatever the position.
    We have 5 if Powell thinks Pritchard is good enough and continues to play Bover there.
  • Options
    I predicted today that (rightly or wrongly) Hayes will be the new target for the boo boys next year
  • Options

Yeah i did think of them both just not sure they'll play much of a role early on. Aren't they both wide players really? Maybe playing them in the centre suggests we're not as covered there as first thought.

• Options
    pritchards always been a cm. bover more a winger.
  • Options
    pritchards always been a cm. bover more a winger.
    You're right, my bad. Still not sure he'll play much of a role to begin with but who knows
  • Options
    I think our board know we must sign another two strikers before the start of the season.What about J Simpson?.We also need cover for centre backs plus a right back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For CM we have Hollands, Stephens, Alonso, Jackson, Bover and Pritchard. Even if you say that Jacko will play left he can still cover the CM positions. I feel we are okay there. With Benno going we need two more strikers permanently and then one young loanee as a wild card. I think we need someone to play alongside BWP, Hayes will then be there backup and then we need someone as BWP back up, like Le Fondre. Must get the two perms in before at least the Millwall game. Think at least one will be here before Tuesday and wouldn't surprise if already lined up but just waiting for Benno to go before it's done.
  • Options
    The board isnt stupid it knows we cant go into the season with two main strikers even though bwp is quality!Cant see Ewell as a third or fourth striker though would be lovely if he could prove me wrong!! 
  • Options
    Jamie cuerton scored 17 goals last seaon and hes 36 so jason could be capable just needs to preform in matches. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options

Better in the hole probably, but "awful", wtf are you on about, son?
    I believe he was top scorer for 3 seasons, but more importantly he was a key signing that helped stabilise us in the Premiership.
    I'll always have a soft spot for Jase, nicking goals in the days when we were fighting to stay in with the big boys.
    Frankly he could be mustard in this league, it's just a question of age and motivation; and of course wages
  • Options

Better in the hole probably, but "awful", wtf are you on about, son?
    I believe he was top scorer for 3 seasons, but more importantly he was a key signing that helped stabilise us in the Premiership.
    I'll always have a soft spot for Jase, nicking goals in the days when we were fighting to stay in with the big boys.
    Frankly he could be mustard in this league, it's just a question of age and motivation; and of course wages
    I stand by what I say, maybe you weren't there, when he first joined & was played up front he couldn't score from 3 yards out, he was awful as a striker. In midfield  he was a good hard working player for us although had a poor 1st touch imo. Not 100% sure but thought he was leading scorer only once & again that was from midfield + he was penalty taker.  
  • Options
    I just think that if an offer had come in during the summer we probably wouldnt have been in Jasons thoughts as he was probably looking for a championship club but that could work in our favour as he could become our surprise package and with no other offers could come in on a monthly rolling contract?
  • Options
    Friendlies are find ur feet time, but some people, like in "normal" life, can only find it when it matters. One more striker on loan, we'll be fine. Don't panic yet!
  • Options
    charltonbob, I think it seems like you weren't there. His record for us was pretty good, something like a goal every three starts and he was our top goalscorer for three seasons.
  • Options
    jase was also a good foyle for di canio!!
  • Options
    I just can't see us having 4 proven strikers for the start of the season. It's gonna cost serious money to get anyone decent in. If Benson goes could see us getting one permanently and then an Ecclestone type loan for the fourth. How many teams at this level will have 4 strikers at a very decent level. Any club in this league would move heaven and earth to have BWP. Leeds, Norwich all had one striker that did the business and varoius players that chipped in around them. I think BWP is our main threat and time will tell if the players brought in, Green, Hayes, Stephens, Hollands will be the difference this season. I think we could do a lot worse than having Euell and a loan.