Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Formations

I can think of 2 from the same season 2006/07

First... Portsmouth at home where we lined up in a 4-1-2-1-2 with Carson in goal, Kishishev Right back, Young Left Back, Amdy Faye and El Karkouri Centre Backs, OMAR POUSO in the centre of midfield on his own, Ambrose and Rommedahl on the wings then Hasselbaink in a free role just behind the 2 Bents. - We didnt look too bad but you could see that it wasnt working and against a better side would've got annihilated. 

Second...Middlesbrough away. Les reed played a 5-4-1 formation which had no chance of scoring. Carson in goal, Sankofa Right back, Traore Left back, Hriedarsson, El Karkouri and Fortune in the centre of defence, Hughes-Holland-Faye-Kishishev in the midfield with Darren Bent upfront on his larry. - Awful football, awful journey, waste of money, time and space. Never been so pissed off after waiting 85 minutes for us to have our first shot.

Comments

• Options
    First thing that sprung to mind was that Pompey game too.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

good job I never went to that 'boro gam (I was ill if I remember correctly)  -  doomed to fail from the start.

I assume that Andy Reid was injured for that game,ut even so, fancy having a midfield containing no real width and no real goal threat neither to support Benty - only Holland could be labled an attacking midfielder and he was coming to the end of his career then.

No wonder we went down that season !!

• Options
    golfaddick - it was a horrible journey (traffic, bad weather and radio went on the blink) It was a horrible game, so so lucky boro weren't that good either!
  • Options
    Have we ever had a good game at middlesborough? There've been so many truly terrible ones up there.
  • Options
    Beat them 3-0 there in the third game of the 05/06 season. Goals from Bent, Rommedahl and Perry iirc
  • Options
    ANYTHING with Sasa Ilic in goal
  • Options
    The same Sasa Ilic that went 10 games without conceding a goal on our way to promotion?
  • Options
    ANYTHING with Sasa Ilic in goal

Yeah, that play-off final line up was terrible

• Options
    Very harsh on Mr. Ilic who in my eyes is a Charlton legend
  • Options
    Well.... in my eyes he was awful. Please dont quote the penalty save, which my nan could have got a hand to. If he was that good we wouldn't have needed penalty's as every single goal was weak.... beware of false heroes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2011
    What about the ten games before the playoff final then that actually got us to Wembley? Or was that all down to the defence and he had no part to play?
  • Options
    Afternoon drinking is dangerous!
  • Options
    No idea, got any stats for those games ?
  • Options
    Well we didn't concede a goal...
  • Options
    well did the other teams have any shots .....
  • Options
    yes 10 games, no goals conceded.   Maybe you're too young so don't remember them but he was unbeatable.

IMO the best run of displays of goalkeeping I ever seen from a Charlton keeper.  Not saying he was the best keeper but I've never seen a better string of performances from any of our No.1s
  • Options

I see the point you are making, in that run-in he did play well, the right player in the right place at the right time etc, but once his form dipped it went into a death spiral and I don't recall him being successful at any of the multitude of clubs he played for after his Charlton career was over.
  • Options
    No, 10 games in a row and the other team had no shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they had shots and Sasa made some great saves.   That one handed catch at Ipswich was unbelievable.
  • Options

"Have we ever had a good game at middlesborough? There've been so many truly terrible ones up there"

Ayresome Park around 1990ish - Tommy Caton (RIP) late penalty after Webster (I think) got sent off. Alex Dyer (I think) won the pen, but I think it was Robert Lee who got our first goal.

• Options
    Swindon 0 Charlton 1
    Charlton 1 Wolves 0
    Charlton 3 Reading 0
    Port Vale 0 Charlton 1
    Charlton 1 Portsmouth 0
    Charlton 2 Tranmere 0
    Birmingham 0 Charlton 0
    Ipswich 0 Charlton 1
    Charlton 1 Ipswich 0

The first leg against Ipswich was one of the best performances I've ever seen from a keeper. He was holding on to shots going into the top corner - other keepers would've been happy to push those efforts wide.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The first leg against Ipswich was one of the best performances I've ever seen from a keeper. He was holding on to shots going into the top corner - other keepers would've been happy to push those efforts wide.
    Ditto
  • Options
    (Sir) Henry.....You warned me about WUM's and biting............
  • Options
    No, 10 games in a row and the other team had no shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they had shots and Sasa made some great saves.   That one handed catch at Ipswich was unbelievable.
    Cheers for trying to patronize me, I was 15 and had been attending every year for 6 seasons at that point. We had a great midfireld and defence around that time, so lack of shots would not be surprising. Dont forget when players like Eddie Youds n Danny Mills joined we were like a completely different team.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TYe3BNyUPU

quite a decent save at the start
  • Options
    Yeah, but Talal, He had No shots to save for 10 matches...900 minutes....15 hours........
  • Options
    no shots in 10 games lol
  • Options
    Yeah, but Talal, He had No shots to save for 10 matches...900 minutes....15 hours........
    Must be why there are so few clips of those games about then ;)
  • Options

What ever happened to people being vetted before they were granted membership?

This is what you get for making Dazzler head admin!

• Options
    Sorry for bothering to get involved... u all know the point I was getting at ie what was the quality of the opposition at the time.

• Options
    Shine166 is allowed to have his own view and i respect his view but Sasa made that penalty save, he couldve dived the wrong way but didnt and we got promoted and the rest is history. 

Henry, i remember that save vs Ipswich reminded me of Schmeichel's in the first prem season.