Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Formations

2»

Comments

• Options
    three good stops in that clip and the commentator says "great save from Ilic AGAIN" after the first.

Stop digging Carl, he was great in that spell and he did face quality opposition.  Brum just missed the play-offs, Ipswich was in the play-offs.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    three good stops in that clip and the commentator says "great save from Ilic AGAIN" after the first.

Stop digging Carl, he was great in that spell and he did face quality opposition.  Brum just missed the play-offs, Ipswich was in the play-offs.

This could go round in circles, its my opinion... no amount of clips linked here will change that. Id like to leave it there if thats ok ?
  • Options

This could go round in circles, its my opinion... no amount of clips linked here will change that. Id like to leave it there if thats ok ?
    Fair enough but then why ask for stats and info on the quality of the opposition then if you weren't going to accept any evidence counter to your existing view?  
  • Options
    getting back on topic, kind of, didnt we have a game when benty was injured and we had to play bothroyd as a lone striker, and if so, can anyone recall why we didnt have more striking options at the time
  • Options

For what its worth, here is my opinion.....

Illic was a great shot stopper.  Crosses and decisions were hit and miss, theres a clip in the above vid where he slides out on his knees when he had no chance of getting the ball.

Yes he made some unbelievable saves, but I think his overall game was generally poor - I would panic everytime he came off of his line.

That said, he is a Charlton Legend, and I was one of the wallys that spent god knows how much on getting my picture with him in club shop with the trophy

• Options
    Illic ended up playing champions league football, I think that goes to show he was a pretty decent keeper
  • Options
    I think confidence is hugely important for keepers and they also need to forget or not dwell upon errors. Ilic was awesome in that spell, although he was one of those keepers who made errors of judgement in coming off his line etc, like David James for instance. In the prem he lost confidence and never got it back, well not in a Charlton shirt anyway. But no one can downplay his role in helping to get us promoted. 
  • Options

Ilic was never quite the same after the knock on the head he got away at Chelsea I think it was in the 1998/99 season.

He was awesome (no exaggeration) in the run up to the play-off final the previous season.

• Options
    shine166 : I get you. We DID have a good defence at the time, but Sasa was also playing out of his skin in that run.

Personally, on reflection, I think he was probably playing well beyond his normal capabilities at the time and got found out in the end, but he is and will always be a club legend. 
  • Options
    I get slagged off for having a go at Lloyd Sam and Wagstaff. Sasa Ilic is up on a pedestal. It doesn't matter one jot how good he was, he is legend, and should never be criticised.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Sam3110 That game was vs Bolton at home 05/06 season we lost 1-0
  • Options
    Has to be at home to Leicester in the 1/4 final of the FA cup, curbs only playing one up front against a team from a lower division.
  • Options
    not doubting sasa's ability at all but when i think of him all i remember is him knocking his self out on the post!!! TWICE!!!
  • Options

Ilic was never quite the same after the knock on the head he got away at Chelsea I think it was in the 1998/99 season.

He was awesome (no exaggeration) in the run up to the play-off final the previous season.

Bang on Len, he was never the same after that incident, seemed to lose a lot of his confidence on crosses and coming to collect the ball.
  • Options

Back to the topic on the thread....

I remember Lennie deploying a cunning 5 man defence strategy at Luton in 1988 to counter the aerial threat of Mick Harford.

We had Shirtliff, Caton and Pates as our three centre halves.....and got dicked 5-2 with Harford scoring two goals. I think we were 4-0 down at half-time.

• Options
    First game of 2003/04 with the 3-5-2 formation, we got thrashed 3-0 by Man City. The formation had worked the season before but we were easily found out and beaten quite easily.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Curbs always reckoned Sasas "decision making" suffered after the knock at Chelsea like Len said. The show he put on at St Andrews in the last game of the play off season was unbelievable as were some of the other matches..

Getting back to formations, I remember we went 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 in our first prem season, problem was the addition to make the numbers add up was Carl Tiler. Worst of all was back in Lennies day, he connverted David Campbell from an anonymous midfielder to an even more anonymous forward. Coupled with Andy Jones who was all heart but not much else, it didnt threaten a lot. 

• Options

The show he put on at St Andrews in the last game of the play off season was unbelievable 

that was a top top display and the brummies had an outside chance of making the play offs as well that day , so they were throwing the kitchen sink at us