Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slater: Promotion is the goal for Charlton

Comments

• Options
    For the last two seasons we've looked better than average with an average looking squad. This is the best Charlton squad in several aseasons and we should be competitive.
  • Options
    did we really look better than average last season? i thought we looked shit
  • Options

Very outspoken from Mr Slater (which is good while he is positive) Stephens / Green / Bover will be very happy to read these comments.....

BUT, what happens IF we dont gel as quickly as he would like or go on a bad run, will he be just as outspoken - "£300,000.00 for that pile of s***e, I should have listened to the wife and bought a holiday home"

Works both ways no?

• Options
    did we really look better than average last season? i thought we looked shit
    Last season we finished in mid-table - I'd consider that average, although we had our moments briefly hitting the giddy heights of second place, the year before we finished in the play-offs so better than average.
  • Options
    Excellent positive outlook, love the dismissal of the other clubs, great mind games!!
  • Options
    Hmm, mind games work when you have experience and results to back it up.  Slater has been in football for all of 8 months.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love everything that he is saying to come true but the tone just makes me a touch uncomfortable but that's maybe due to the past five years than anything else.
  • Options
    It's only natural to have a fear of everything going nipples up given the reverse Midas touch that our club has had during the last few years...

...I just hope that that is all behind us and now we are in an exciting new age of positivity and confidence and Mr Slater is just leading from the front as it were.  I agree that talking about the opposition can be a dodgy tactic, but if it gives our squad even a fraction of the confidence that Shankly gave his players then it has to be a good thing.

And Dunlop, you are most certainly the only one getting very excited about this season - I'd imagine the vast majority of those on this message board feel just the same as you.  I know I do!
  • Options

What other goal could he have but promotion? If you sign some of the divisions better players you should certainly expect to challenge - and we should be aiming for the title. How many winners can you name who lacked confidence?

• Options
    Talk about stating the bleedin obvious. EVERY club (except in the permier league) must surely start the season with promotion as it's main aim .. and no nonsense please about clubs looking to survive/hold our own/find our feet in the big leagues etc
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of bravado and bluff from the chairmen , he just needs to have a look down the back of his sofa to fund some more quality signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he's making a real statement. Talks in terms of supporting his manager and stating that promotion is expected. Should it not materialise we are not going to go skint. I would think it would be a totally unacceptable scenario to fail and no doubt CP knows as much.
  • Options
    Hmm, mind games work when you have experience and results to back it up.  Slater has been in football for all of 8 months.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love everything that he is saying to come true but the tone just makes me a touch uncomfortable but that's maybe due to the past five years than anything else.
    Guess this is rather how I feel.
  • Options
    If anybody was in any doubt as to how much we wanted to keep hold of Semedo, i think that interview says it all. Those who mocked....   
  • Options

yeah i'm a bit embarassed , i'd prefer the quieter reserved approach, did murray spout off as much as this fella (maybe when he slagged off diawara!)

i can remember our clown support  pulling one off when we had the Alan with a "personality"

if these words were said by simon jordan or scally we'd be carnting them right off for being gobby twunts

time for SCP to deliver perleeeeeeeeeease

• Options

yeah i'm a bit embarassed , i'd prefer the quieter reserved approach, did murray spout off as much as this fella (maybe when he slagged off diawara!)

i can remember our clown support  pulling one off when we had the Alan with a "personality"

if these words were said by simon jordan or scally we'd be carnting them right off for being gobby twunts

time for SCP to deliver perleeeeeeeeeease

Indeed, how dare he be ambitious. We can't have that can we? He's invested a lot of his money (I presume) and expects to see us challenging, I didn't see anywhere any claim from him that only promotion and nothing less will be acceptable.

• Options

I don't see anything too bad with what Slater said, if I had spent the money he had spent then I would be expecting results and be confident of getting them as well.

• Options
    If anybody was in any doubt as to how much we wanted to keep hold of Semedo, i think that interview says it all. Those who mocked....   

Not following, where is the Semedo reference?
  • Options

I don't think he's playing mind games at all. He's been asked a direct question and answered it fully and honestly and if his amition is to be in the top six then that's hardly going over the top considering the inward investment which is bigger than any other club in L1. We all know that the squad needed major surgery and given the constraints of a small budget the management team have delivered that and still found the time and money to strengthen the next generation to boot. Whether you like it or not we've signed some good players who were in demand at other clubs, some of which are going to be playing at a higher level next season than we will be. I presume that the money we offered them was on a par with what other clubs had on the table, so why did they choose Charlton over those clubs? Presumably because of the ambition articulated by the manager and directors. 
  • Options
    I expect that Slater is bigging it up for a number of reasons, one of which is to try and rouse the support and encourage those who are in two minds about buying a season ticket to take the plunge. That makes absolute sense ( especially with just over a week to go ) and he and the Board have done all they can to reverse our decline. Nor is there any harm in going public on what he expects from Chris Powell and his management team; quite the contrary, given both the size of our club and the budget the Board has provided.

Not a major issue, but I am less keen on writing off teams like Sheff Utd and Preston before a ball has been kicked. It is unwise and most certainly premature. He'd do well to take a leaf out of Richard Murray's book in that respect. Let's hope our football will do the talking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ambition is fine and to be applauded, but it should be guarded and if you start bigging yourself up too much before a ball has been kicked in anger then you are just setting yourself up a fall whilst ramping up the fans expectations and in turn the pressure on players and management.

I think a big problem last season was the players struggled to cope with the pressure of playing for a big club (for this division at least) and I think some fans have already got a bit carried away about the signings we've made. Fans will always do that but I'm not sure Slater should be fanning the flames so much as trying to dampen expecations a little, at least until the team has had a proper chance to bed in and show it's potential.

He asks for patience but at the same time almost verbally guarantees a play-off spot, which is a counter productive statement imo.

• Options

Ambition is fine and to be applauded, but it should be guarded and if you start bigging yourself up too much before a ball has been kicked in anger then you are just setting yourself up a fall whilst ramping up the fans expectations and in turn the pressure on players and management.

I think a big problem last season was the players struggled to cope with the pressure of playing for a big club (for this division at least) and I think some fans have already got a bit carried away about the signings we've made. Fans will always do that but I'm not sure Slater should be fanning the flames so much as trying to dampen expecations a little, at least until the team has had a proper chance to bed in and show it's potential.

He asks for patience but at the same time almost verbally guarantees a play-off spot, which is a counter productive statement imo.

A good post Exiled but I think the problem with last season was that we lost all of our best players before the start of the season; Richardson, Sam Sodje, Sam, Bailey, Shelvey and Burton and replaced them with very average players like Francis, Docherty (on his actual form, not reputation), McCormack and Abbott.

We basically brought in players - apart from Doherty - from relegated or mid-table L1 sides, so it was hardly a surprise that after a good start we fell away to finish mid-table ourselves.

The bottom line was that the squad was nowhere near good enough and hopefully we have addressed that problem now by bringing in far better quality players.

As I have said elsewhere though, there is now no hiding place for Powell, if he does not have us performing and in the top 6 by late November then we will have a new manager by Christmas.

• Options

but in business for a long time so surely knows mind games
  • Options

I agree Ormiston, the biggest downfall was the quality of the players BUT all our best performances came away from home and I don't think any of our players can claim to have played at their best on more than a couple of occassions each, bar maybe Jackson who has experience of playing under more pressure than at the Valley from his time at Spurs.

I don't think we ever stood that great a chance of promotion, but we were dire at times and too often the players looked nervous at the Valley despite coming to us with good reviews from their former clubs. I think Abbott and Francis were particularly clear examples.

Hopefully the new crop are made of sterner stuff and won't crumble under the pressure, but why put more pressure on than you have to, especially from inside the club?

• Options

I agree Ormiston, the biggest downfall was the quality of the players BUT all our best performances came away from home and I don't think any of our players can claim to have played at their best on more than a couple of occassions each, bar maybe Jackson who has experience of playing under more pressure than at the Valley from his time at Spurs.

I don't think we ever stood that great a chance of promotion, but we were dire at times and too often the players looked nervous at the Valley despite coming to us with good reviews from their former clubs. I think Abbott and Francis were particularly clear examples.

Hopefully the new crop are made of sterner stuff and won't crumble under the pressure, but why put more pressure on than you have to, especially from inside the club?

Actually, you are right about that, I really did forget "The Valley Factor" from last season, we were crap at home for most of the season, even some of our better home wins (3-2 vs Peterborough) probably should have been defeats and were quite lucky when you looked at how the actual game went.

By contrast, as you say, some of our best shows were on the road, the 5-1 at Peterborough, 3-1 at Orient, 3-0 at Swindon and 4-3 at Carlisle as well as a very decent 1-1 draw at runaway leaders Brighton.

The only problem was, of course, that after about mid-December we were crap at home AND away!

• Options
    We need to get that "fortress valley" back for next season, it's going to be vital. If a player is having a stinker then we need to support him through it, providing he is putting in the effort. Slagging off a player affects the whole team because every player becomes afraid of making a mistake. Having said that I like what Slater has to say (obviously) although I do fear that it heaps the pressure on CP to get it right quickly or face the consequences
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's interesting that this interview was with the Newsshopper rather than the OS.

Makes me think that it is targeted at lapsed or waivering ST holders.

Sure it might upset some away fans but they arent going to buy STs anyway.

Whatever MS said publically promotion had to be the goal for this season anyway.

Don't have a problem with any of this other than I think that there will be other sides, such as Brentford and MK Dons looking to crash the party. Don't forget them.

• Options
    I agree that we should not be talking about other teams, it brings no advantage. We need to keep our heads down, keep working hard, and let the team do our talking. I must admit however that if I was a season ticket holder from recent times who has not yet renewed, I would be looking at the squad and heading for the ticket office pronto. We are talking of two more signings which hopefully will draw a good crowd, because apart from the poor performances on the pitch I have hated seeing The Valley half full. Can't wait for the 6th now, COYR.
  • Options

Asking for patience is regarding the first month or so to allow the team to gel, whereas the play-off statement is regarding the seasons target.

He has faith that we now have a team capable of winning this league and doesn't want fans getting frustrated when we lose some games (which will happen).

Just remember, It's not a snickers, it's a marathon.
  • Options

http://www.downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=59305

Huddersfield fans discuss.

This one could really come back to bite us on the arse.

Pressure is on Powell big time to get this lot playing.