Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slater: Promotion is the goal for Charlton

13»

Comments

• Options

http://www.downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=59305

Huddersfield fans discuss.

This one could really come back to bite us on the arse.

Pressure is on Powell big time to get this lot playing.

You honestly care about what other teams think of us?

CP has a job to meld the squad into a successful team on the pitch, but he's been given everything by Slater/Jimenez and the Mysteron(s) that he asked for - they've invested not just in a strong starting XI but also the squad so we have some depth, we've got players coming throughfrom  the youth/reserve teams and Slater has articulated his ambitions quite reasonably and sensibly. He sees us a top six club and doesn't want us playing in L1 for any longer than is necessary. This article is quite sensible - the season is about to kick off he knows that he needs to create that buzz of a club that knows what it's doing and where it's going. Frankly after the last few years of mediocrity it's refreshing to see some ambition on and off the pitch. Personally I'm reassured that that there's someone in the boardroom driving things along and putting his money where his mouth is.

• Options
    The guy has put his money where his mouth, as well as improving our youth development and scouting network over the past few months. Obviously a very different personality to Murray, but I don't mind it. Jiminez and Slater seem to be getting things done which makes a change from the struggle of the last 5 years...
  • Options

Its only words, so what if Slater is wrong, what is the worse that can happen, people on forums taking the piss, oooo, it really doesn't matter!

What matters is the ambition is back and it would appear can be backed up with the player and other investment made!

• Options
    The guy has put his money where his mouth, as well as improving our youth development and scouting network over the past few months. Obviously a very different personality to Murray, but I don't mind it. Jiminez and Slater seem to be getting things done which makes a change from the struggle of the last 5 years...
    All this, plus Slater has an opinion of other teams and i applaud his positive words. We as supporters take the fall along with him so lets hopefully take the applause...
  • Options

Could not agree more, he's put the dough in and now wants results, I don't have a problem with that at all.

If he had invested feck all and then demanded results then it would be a different matter.

• Options
    I'm coming up to the Bournemouth game from Cornwall - first game since Peterborough at the Valley.  I am bringing some tissues.
  • Options
    I'm coming up to the Bournemouth game from Cornwall - first game since Peterborough at the Valley.  I am bringing some tissues.

It's not that exciting surely?
  • Options
    I dont get out much
  • Options
    If anybody was in any doubt as to how much we wanted to keep hold of Semedo, i think that interview says it all. Those who mocked....   
    Not following, where is the Semedo reference?
    Sheffield wednesday taking one of the players we released.
  • Options

I have no problems witrh Slater 'giving it' a bit - football would be a bit dull if everybody just said the courteous, dullard stuff all the time - noithing like a rousing Clough or Churchill type rant to get things going. I agree that he has also aimed it at the lapsed season ticket holders who may be deluded into thinking we lost some of our better players in Semedo and Racon when the reality is we didn't want to keep them. As we've said on here, not everybody will know the quality of the players we've brought in and there are a lot of misguided people out there who were labouring under the impression that Racon and Semedo were our main assets, rather than the reality being that they were one of our main problems - as i think i may have mentioned, to some derision, last season.    

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Think he is right about Hudds.

Last summer they bought a lot of talented players in and still didn't go up. This summer they haven't done much and won't bother us when we make our rapid and bloody accent to the dizzy heights of the championship.

• Options

For the last 5 years we have been on a downward spiral & the only noise coming out of the club has been the scraping of barrels & searching down the back of the sofa for 2 bob to stick in the electric meter. We now have owners/board/frontmen whatever who are at last sounding positive & looking to the future. They have restructered the whole club & made a huge difference to the squad not just the team & people are still fucking complaining.

As a confirmed pessimist who fumed through the parkinson years of no passion,little tactical awareness, long ball depression, empty pubs after the game, half empty ground with little atmosphere......I can't wait for the start of the season for the first time in years ( with another CB & decent striker sharpish please) Give it the big one Mr Slater , who cares what any other club thinks. If we & CP are good enough we'll do the business, if not then are we any worse off than this time last year or the year before ?   .

• Options
    Great post Bob
  • Options
    Strong words from Mr Slater, lets hope we can back them up and that they don't come back to haunt us.
  • Options
    Can't see anything wrong with the way Slater answered those questions.
  • Options
    Good points Bob , like the bit about the only noise heard being 'the scrapping of barrels'
  • Options
    Bob cracking post, spot on people really do need to go into this season with blind faith and optimism,

Because this is the most active we have been, in ages
  • Options
    Can't see anything wrong with the way Slater answered those questions.
    Exactly. Slater merely responded to the reporter's questions.
  • Options
    I think Slater and the new board are very pleased with what they have achieved in the seven months since taking over. I think there is some pride and excitement in his comments and definitely the next logical step is for all their hard work to continue onto the pitch. Nothing wrong with having a little puff on your own trumpet imho and for the first time in about five years we have a trumpet to puff on.
  • Options

Its only words, so what if Slater is wrong, what is the worse that can happen, people on forums taking the piss, oooo, it really doesn't matter!

What matters is the ambition is back and it would appear can be backed up with the player and other investment made!

The real danger with talking down other clubs is not that the fans take the piss, its that you are giving the opposition something to pin on their dressing room wall - something to point at and say - "look what this club is saying about you - go out and prove them wrong!"  Slater is basically writing the team talk for them, which is why I would personally avoid slagging off other clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, if we really want promotion, we need to make a quality CB priority. Millwall game has shown that much.