Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• edited August 2011

Axis was nice. good food with decent sized portions. waiter was a nice fella. was pretty quiet aswell which i like, hate eating in noisy busy places. good place to take a doris.

• Axis was nice. good food with decent sized portions. waiter was a nice fella. was pretty quiet aswell which i like, hate eating in noisy busy places. good place to take a doris.

Good place to "take a doris", where particularly?.... ;-)
  • well i did try taking her up the oxo but she thought the portion was far too big.
  • edited August 2011

@Seth used to live in Brockley, but don't know La Querche or Chandos, unless I forgot the name. I'll have to look up Beetroots next time I'm in town. We always went to Mildred's (on Lexington?).

It isn't far from Honor Oak station. Sardinian actually, very decent indeed.
  • le Gavroche (michel roux jr) is amazing had the tasting menu and it was delicious.
    loved Roast, went there for my birthday last week. thought it good value for 2 or 3 courses as the food was splendid. 
    the other Friday went to Heston's Dinner which was an awesome experience. meat fruit and wing rib of beef! mmmmmm 
    last year went to Murano just before ramsey sold to angela hartnett. tasting menu was great. 
    depending on your budget another great dinner was had at chicago rib shack knightsbridge. the music in the background was great too! 
    going to chapters on friday night, never been before! 
    Wish I had been to all of those places. 

Do you mean Chapter One? Have fortunately been there. The food was incredible. But it's my only michelin starred restaurant so I don't have so much to compare it to.

I like a foodie. Good on you.
    I think it's now just called Chapters, not sure though. 
    I sounded like i eat in places like that all the time. Had a kebab on friday night and a chinese takeaway from Catford on Saturday night and tonight will probably end in something similarly grotty - upper crust on london bridge station probably! hehe

• I've been to Roast at Borough Market. Was underwhelmed by that for the price to be honest.

I've been to Paramount at the top of centre point. I just had the bar menu, but the food I had was excellent and not too expensive (although posh people's portions), but the view is stupendous, could sit there for ages looking out of the window and be entertained. Good place to take your bird for a treat.

I've eaten out a fair bit in London but I think many London restaurants are over-hyped. One of the best meals I ever had was in the executive box at Aston Villa when my mate took a few of us for his birthday (Villa fan).

A few other stand-out meals I've had - Due South on the seafront at Brighton was excellent. The Sportsman at Whistable was superb if anybody is ever down that way. There's an excellent Vietnamese BYOB restaurant on Englefield Road, Islington which is good, often in papers and that as one of the best cheap places to eat out in London. The Trout near Oxford was nice, attractive setting. I personally think setting and atmos etc are (almost) as important as the food when eating out.

our company moved into centre point on monday. had a mooch up to the paramount floor yesterday afternoon to take a look at the views across london. absolutely stunning, especially on a beautiful day like yesterday.

i'll definitely try the restuarant soon.

regarding the above it's 'chapters all day dining', previously named chapter II, i think. looking forward to that too!
  • Is Chapters a michelin starred restaurant in Blackheath? Really?

I like Roast too but more for the setting, the food is good but wouldnt say superb.  Gone off the place as the last time i went there was the day we played Dag & Redbridge with a pal of mine, the tone was set when she got the wine list and ordered a bottle of Bollinger for starters and it wasnt just one.., I dont care when im not paying myself. But i came out skint and still hungry and then scores came through.  crap day that was.

Last week i went for a drink after work to a bar called Skyline which is up on the top of the Mint Hotel near Tower Bridge.  Has anyone been?  I didnt see anyone eating but it has a huge openair roof terrace.  I absolutely loved it as was a nice evening and got a table.  Very sex in the city.  If you want to take a girl there for a drink Valley Gary I think she would be impressed.  Tho its not as tall as the one's mention above, but good views of Tower Bridge and dahn Sarf.

• Went to Chapters last night ... very enjoyable. Been quite a few times and never let down yet.
  • Is Chapters a michelin starred restaurant in Blackheath? Really?

chapter II is not michelin starred, no. perhaps the original chapters is.

clos maggiores in convent garden is another blinder. think it has some kind of rosettes rating (not quite michelin). great pre/post-theatre menu at a reasonable price. always the top-rated restuarant on top-table.
  • Chapter one is, Chapter two is not
  • Sponsored links:

• Last week i went for a drink after work to a bar called Skyline which is up on the top of the Mint Hotel near Tower Bridge.  Has anyone been?  I didnt see anyone eating but it has a huge openair roof terrace.  I absolutely loved it as was a nice evening and got a table.  Very sex in the city.  If you want to take a girl there for a drink Valley Gary I think she would be impressed.  Tho its not as tall as the one's mention above, but good views of Tower Bridge and dahn Sarf.

Skylounge actually, but I'll let you off.

Went up there a couple of months back and the views are something else. And because you're high up you can't hear the traffic either.

Didn't eat but the food looked alright as it went past. Mind you, I got stung something like £16 for a round consisting of a bottle of Corona, a coke and a mineral water (guess which one was mine!). Cheeky feckers even added on a service charge, even though I stood at the (virtually empty) bar waiting to get served for 10 minutes. Needless to say we only stopped for one.
  • BURGER KING AT LONDON BRIDGE WAS PARTICULARLY GOOD TONIGHT. THE SEASONING COULD NOT BE FAULTED
  • Arepa Cafe on Queen St Downtown Toronto was pretty munch for lunch. Venezuelan corn bread rolls filled with various fillings.
  • edited August 2011

Last week i went for a drink after work to a bar called Skyline which is up on the top of the Mint Hotel near Tower Bridge.  Has anyone been?  I didnt see anyone eating but it has a huge openair roof terrace.  I absolutely loved it as was a nice evening and got a table.  Very sex in the city.  If you want to take a girl there for a drink Valley Gary I think she would be impressed.  Tho its not as tall as the one's mention above, but good views of Tower Bridge and dahn Sarf.

Did the Sky Lounge tonight with a group of about 15. Was ok. Nice venue at first but when you anylise it's just a Travel Lodge. £6 a bottle of beer, and no bar snacks. A hotel bar should always provide a bowl of nuts/nibbles/olives etc
  • BURGER KING AT LONDON BRIDGE WAS PARTICULARLY GOOD TONIGHT. THE SEASONING COULD NOT BE FAULTED
    Question is did you have the onion rings?   ;0
  • As far as normal, non-taster menu restaurants go, we went to La Cucina De Antonio in Sidcup the other week. It was very, very good. Had the best mussels I've had in my entire life, and a main course of veal stuffed with mortadella, mozzarella, and asparagus which was also very very good. 

Chunes recommends.
  • someone had a shandy last night
    Mine was particularly humourous as well apparently.
  • As far as normal, non-taster menu restaurants go, we went to La Cucina De Antonio in Sidcup the other week. It was very, very good. Had the best mussels I've had in my entire life, and a main course of veal stuffed with mortadella, mozzarella, and asparagus which was also very very good. 

Chunes recommends.
    yes, round the corner from my folks and went there the day before my wedding. was lush! 
    Mine was particularly humourous as well apparently.
    Mine was ok. At least I didn't have to wait 7 and a half minutes for it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Expensive in there though . I got one of them new summer burger things for £5 . And it was cold
  • Had a rare treat for our tenth anniversary and went pont de la tour last week. Lovely evening so.got to sit outside by the river, and the food was really good.

Typical, bloke who runs it giving it large. Gonna start calling you Bart-de-la-tour :-)
  • six quid for a bottle of beer?  Piss take innit really but i suppose you are paying for the views.  Come to think of it the wine was 30 quid a pop. Nice tho.
    Cheers, I always like it when someone enjoys my work
  • Chapter One - went there twice, got the trots once...50% record...michelin stars can be over rated!

been to plenty of nice London restaurants and actually really liked the Oxo Tower (sorry had to say it), although a bit too businessy.  Can't beat Tower 42 though, sitting on the 24th floor inthe evening with the views over London.

My work has just got membership to the one at the top of the Gerkin so may have to head over there sometime!

• ive been in both of those as work oppo 24.  Only been in the bar of the Gherkin. Great big cavernous place.  Is there one on top of the Heron Tower?
  • Ressurecting this thread as we went to Barbecoa last night for @les_says birthday.  It's the Jamie Oliver and Adam Perry Lang joint venture on New Change. Great views of St Paul's and couldn't see the protesters. Was lovely! So much choice and will have to go back repeatedly because we wanted to eat everything on the menu and it was so hard to decide.

Also, in September we went to The Forge in Covent Garden which always does deals on 2 or 3 course menus and is top quality and then for our 1st wedding anniversary we went to Grammercy Tavern in New York to try how Americans compare with their Michelin starred restaurants. Was a fantastic experience.

Thats probably it for fine dining for another year until my birthday comes around.

Pizza and curly chips for dinner tonight I think.

Chunes recommends.
    Seconded. Went there a year or so ago and it was very good indeed. Only problem for me is that anytime I've wanted to go back there it's been fully booked!
  • Mama Carmen , previously of New Eltham,  has opened up now in the Coach and Horses pub in Bexley , good menu , good food and reasonably priced
  • Rocksalt in Folkestone, fairly new opened up by chef Mark Sargeant. Right on the harbour, very very nice seafood in there. 

http://rocksaltfolkestone.co.uk/