Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I a tight arse?

edited August 2011 in Not Sports Related
I'm just about to leave home to catch the valley express coach to take me to today's game.
Now every time I have done this previously, someone comes around on the return journey doing a collection for the driver. Now If I'm doing a long trip to an away game or non-football related and the driver has contributed to this journey other than by just doing his job then I'm happy to chuck a couple of quid his way, but as I live in Gravesend and spend approx 30 mins on the coach,
I don't feel the need to cough up my loose change.
 This has got me some dagger stares from the people doing the collecting in the past.

I quite often travel by National Express to Co Durham which takes about 6 hrs and is almost 300 miles but no-one seems bothered about doing a whip round for the driver on there!

I not one of these people who tip because they feel obliged to.

Comments

• Options
    Yes.

;-)
  • Options
    Don't tip if you are unhappy with the service. If you don't tip cos you don't feel you have to then - yes, you are a tight arse.
  • Options
    What do you mean by the driver contributing to the journey other thaan doing his job?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    awkward one this.............I'm with you on the whole tipping thing as that is their job (same goes for taxi-drivers, barbers,pizza deliveries etc) but then again, are you going to miss a few bits of silver ? If the money is going into a bag then no-one knows if you are putting in notes, pounds or loose change
  • Options
    What a tight wad! ;0
  • Options
    Thought this thread had been started by Red_in_SE8.
  • Options
    You could always chuck in a 5p piece you found lying around.
  • Options
    Or put a pound in and take a pound out! 
  • Options
    Or put a pound in and take a pound out! 

Or put 5p in and take a pound out ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What if the driver is an addicks fan and really wants to go to the match, but can't because he has to work to help feed his family, thus by doing his job in taking you to watch the match to enjoy yourself, he has to miss out and sit on his bus on the woolwich rd listening to collymore et al
  • Options
    Give him some extra you tight arse!
  • Options
    What if the driver is an addicks fan and really wants to go to the match, but can't because he has to work to help feed his family, thus by doing his job in taking you to watch the match to enjoy yourself, he has to miss out and sit on his bus on the woolwich rd listening to collymore et al
    I assume almost everyone has other things they'd rather be doing than go to work.

Do you regularly tip bus drivers?
  • Options
    Love the You Tube clip!

I hate the whole tipping thing because I never know if I'm supposed to tip or not. Take the barbers - I got my hair cut by the owner last time I was in - should I tip him or is it an insult?
  • Options
    I dont use buses, but if I used a coach, then yes I would tip the driver as I do in cabs, barbers, pizza delivery, etc etc
  • Options

Here's a tip:

Mind how you cross the road.

• Options
    Well, the thing is, up until a couple of years ago, I was a bus driver and nobody ever felt the need to tip me, and nor should they.

My point about this really is certain services you are expected to tip for and others not. Taxi's are the same. Everyone feels obliged to tip them. A couple of months ago whilst my car was being serviced, I got a taxi from the local Asda with all my shopping. He pulled up outside my house and just pulled the lever to pop open the boot, then sat there looking in shock when i didn't tip him. If he got his fat arse out of his seat and at least offered to help me with my shopping then I wouldn't mind so much. I got my own back by walking away, leaving his boot open so he had to get out to shut it.

• Options
    I got my own back by walking away, leaving his boot open so he had to get out to shut it.

Good for you. I hate the tipping thing.  I only pay when it's been a good service; not for ordinary. 
  • Options
    Someone does a whip-round for a 30-min coach ride? Outrageous imo
  • Options
    I don't think you're being tight. If he did something extra ordinary, like drop you at your front door rather than the bus stop, then fair enough. If he is driving you from point A to point B and you are paying for the journey I don't see why you should pay any extra. Maybe once a year, but I would be ashamed to ask for a hand out for a 30 minute drive to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone does a whip-round for a 30-min coach ride? Outrageous imo
    My reaction, too.

I wouldn't tip a bus driver for a 30 minute journey to work every day. Why is the Valley Express any different?

You buy your ticket, he gets paid to drive you. That's it.
  • Options
    On the Maidstone bus they do a raffle £1 a strip 5x£5 prizes the rest to the driver. Seems a lot better. I haven't won for 4 seasons!
  • Options
    I was gonna post what Buckshee did.
  • Options
    I agree, he shouldn't be tipped for 30 mins. We don't tip nurses when they save a life or police when they catch the man who robbed your house?
  • Options

on a long away trip i dont see the harm as they do work long hours for little reward, but not for 30mins on a valley express..

• Options
    Wouldnt tip if it was Plymouth to Inverness. No one put a gun to his head and said becomw a coach driver.

Hardly tough work.
  • Options
    It's one of those old conventions that has carried on over the years, but it's not on for a relatively short trip. Mind you, if the bloke puts himself out to help in some way, e.g finding a route to get to the Valley in time for the K.O when the M25 is messed up might be worth a drink.
  • Options
    I've never had a problem with tipping on away coaches as they often have to deal with all sorts of numptys (anyone who has regularly been on the away coaches will know what I mean) but I'm with you 100% about not tipping the valley express.

One thing I would say is that if it was the same driver every week then by all means have a whip round at the end of the season for them
  • Options
    I'd prefer to pay a bit extra than tip as I never know how much to.
  • Options
    Love the You Tube clip!

I hate the whole tipping thing because I never know if I'm supposed to tip or not. Take the barbers - I got my hair cut by the owner last time I was in - should I tip him or is it an insult?
    Good question - I would like to know what people think on that Saga, I don't tip the owner but would one of his assistants