Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walcott - Opinions?

Was just thinking after seeing his name in another thread. Does everyone else think he is as poor as me? He's a good footballer but I don't think hes anywhere near the world class standard that some do. For England, he has done nothing, as far as I can see, and I always watch the games. Also, I think players such as Young and Johnson offer much much more, especially the latter. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Comments

• Got a 3 out of 10 for his weekend performance!
  • He is far too overrated, he can't put a decent ball in, and if he does its 1 in 10 at best. BUT, he's a decent finisher when he gets a chance, ideally I think he's better suited up top just hanging on the shoulder of the last defender.
  • edited August 2011

Would like to see how Walcott does through the middle, he does not have the skill or consistency to be a top class winger imho and relies too much on the fact he is very fast. However if you look at his goals, he is a good finisher and could be a very good striker.

On the wing, he has not developed as much as other players in his position have over the last couple of seasons.

• He's very fast, thats about it. We'll see how good a footballer he is when he gets to 28+ and slows down.
    Dont expect to be impressed.
    See Dennis in the last minute!
  • He's not progressing at anywhere near the rate that was expected of him went he signed for Arsenal. Hence the reason Wenger shelled out £12m (?) on Oxlade Chamberlain when on paper he shoudl have one of the best players in the divison in the same position.

He always came acorss as a bright lad but I get the feeling he's had his head turned in the last 18 months or so. Maybe a spell up front for a London Div 1 team would do him some good?

• He's a good finisher, but he can't put crosses in for shit as far as I can tell, and I believe that Johnson/Young could definitely do both of those. Also, Milner could put very good crosses in albeit probably without being able to be as good a finisher, but he still has the ability to do so. I just don't think he should even be in the squad if i'm honest.
  • Was just thinking after seeing his name in another thread. Does everyone else think he is as poor as me?
    I've never seen you play, so I'd guess he's a bit better than you, but not as good as Bexley Dan.
  • I might surprise you yet WSS ;)
  • Exceptional pace and devastating when the ball is played through the middle....but he is a winger who cannot cross. Arsenal play with one at top and no way is he good enough to play there. Overated in my opinion.
  • From the opinions on here, it sounds like most people share my opinion - he's another Henry. Remember when Wenger bought him from Juve and turned him from a frustrating yet talented winger into one of the world's best strikers? Quite why he doesn't do the same thing with Walcott I've no idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• he will end up playing through the middle and score bundles
  • Dropped into the England World Cup squad at the expense of Benty (or maybe Defoe), as a favour to Arsenal - to avoid the embarrassment that they had paid a chunk for an unknown teenager who was only an average player.

Now several years later- he is still only an average player.
  • No tricks and a lot of pace, hopefully he will learn his trade more as time goes by.  Very good in a top Prem side but not real international class yet if you ask me
  • Wagstaff always reminds me of him. If he hasn't got room to beat the defender for pace then there's no chance of him beating him at all.
  • Wagstaff always reminds me of him. If he hasn't got room to beat the defender for pace then there's no chance of him beating him at all.
    I was just thinking that this could be a wagstaff thread
  • Would have been great as a part of that counter attacking Arsenal team from 2000-2005. I have a feeling ahe was probably bought to carry on that side into a new era. However Arsenal don't break forward anymore and prefer to play passes around the edge of the box. Walcott isn't tidy enough to play there.
    For as good as Arsenal are only RVP is good enough to split a defense with a pass and get Walcott out into the open. It's neveer gonna happen now and he just plays his part in making that team unbalanced.
  • Walcott has said in the press that he prefers playing up-front as he did it for Saints when he broke through to their first team.
  • only slight difference between henry and walcott is their physique. perhaps why walcott hasnt been tried through the middle yet.
  • If i had a girlfriend like he's at home my mind would be on football either!

Photobucket
  • From the opinions on here, it sounds like most people share my opinion - he's another Henry. Remember when Wenger bought him from Juve and turned him from a frustrating yet talented winger into one of the world's best strikers? Quite why he doesn't do the same thing with Walcott I've no idea.
    But wasn't Walcot a striker to start with? Thought he was when Arsenal signed him and was taken to world cup as a striker as well but has since been turned into a winger by wenger, probably to accomodate his world class strikers (such as Bentner, ffs).
  • Sponsored links:

• if someone went 'oi theo today youre gonna learn how to cross a ball' and he can get that he'd become alot better!
  • For England, he has done nothing, as far as I can see, and I always watch the games.
    You must've missed the 4-1 win in Croatia then!

Clearly has a lot of ability, but shows it only in fits and starts. Ashley Young has been England's top winger for the last few seasons. Adam Johnson is just as inconsistent I'd say.
  • Johnson just doesn't get playing time at club or international level. I reckon he could be incredible if he did.
  • Walcott doesn't have a brain. He will run around all over the place but never does the right thing under pressure.
  • Another athlete with some footballing ability - great in short bursts, coming off the bench etc but week in, week out and he goes stale very quickly.
  • As covered above he's quick and got a half decent finish. Similar to Bent but obviously not as strong. Maybe more like Andy Johnson. Play him as a striker and he will score goals
  • in danger of becoming the new Beckham .. as they say in Texas .. all hat and no cattle
  • becks is 100 x the player walcott ever will be, hes shite
  • IMHO Becks is the best player we could have yet we're ignoring him, he dragged the rest of the team's sorry arses through a whole heap of games yet never got any credit for me it seemed to me. Probably gunna have people attacking me for this now though :(
  • Waggy could be better than Walcott with coaching and patience.