Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walcott - Opinions?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Walcott is just pace and finishing. Doesn't do what he should do when playing on the right (confidence?). Surprised he isn't used on the left so when the ball is played through, he can bend his run and finish with the inside of the right foot, similar to how Henry used to finish some of his goals. 
  • Options
    IMHO Becks is the best player we could have yet we're ignoring him, he dragged the rest of the team's sorry arses through a whole heap of games yet never got any credit for me it seemed to me. Probably gunna have people attacking me for this now though :(

Gotta do a bit of attacking I'm afraid.

If Beckham was any other nationality, he wouldn't be iven such praise as in he UK. Sure, he was a wonderful player, but there are so many equal or better players that people ignore to give Becks some kind of god status. On the world stage, Beckham would only be recognised as one of the top English players in the last 10 years,  not as someone who changed football forever and was one of the greatest to ever pull on an England shirt, like he is here.

• Options
    IMHO Becks is the best player we could have yet we're ignoring him, he dragged the rest of the team's sorry arses through a whole heap of games yet never got any credit for me it seemed to me. Probably gunna have people attacking me for this now though :(

Gotta do a bit of attacking I'm afraid.

If Beckham was any other nationality, he wouldn't be iven such praise as in he UK. Sure, he was a wonderful player, but there are so many equal or better players that people ignore to give Becks some kind of god status. On the world stage, Beckham would only be recognised as one of the top English players in the last 10 years,  not as someone who changed football forever and was one of the greatest to ever pull on an England shirt, like he is here.

But he was English ... and you can't presume that he wouldn't get as much praise if he was another nationality. He used to get heaps of praise all over the world, plus there's a reason he went to Real Madrid, one of the best teams in the world. I don't think any of the current team compare to him really, not just in skill but in work ethic and attitude as well, he was always the man working his ass off when the chips were down and he rallied the rest of the team behind him. Also, he was the one always trying to bring youngsters into football, going to the academies, having kick-abouts with the children. I have the utmost respect for him and his skill, you never see Rooney at academies, he's too busy messing about with his catholic school-girl prostitute! Going back to the original point, I just thought that Becks could be brilliant where Walcott plays, i'm sure he'd do a lot better than Wally that's for sure.
  • Options
    I can't believe that the 'Beckham for England' bandwagon is still trundling on. He's past it. Move on.

• Options
    Walcott needs to go on loan to a Wigan kind of side and start upfront alongside a target man.
  • Options
    For England, he has done nothing, as far as I can see, and I always watch the games.
    You must've missed the 4-1 win in Croatia then!

Clearly has a lot of ability, but shows it only in fits and starts. Ashley Young has been England's top winger for the last few seasons. Adam Johnson is just as inconsistent I'd say.
    I was at that game, he didn't really do much other than score a hatrick, as bizarre as that sounds! Heskey was my man of the match.
  • Options
    From the opinions on here, it sounds like most people share my opinion - he's another Henry. Remember when Wenger bought him from Juve and turned him from a frustrating yet talented winger into one of the world's best strikers? Quite why he doesn't do the same thing with Walcott I've no idea.

As easy as that!

Henry had played up front for Monaco and France and won a world cup/been in a Champions League semi final. 

• Options
    I can't believe that the 'Beckham for England' bandwagon is still trundling on. He's past it. Move on.

I'm not saying that he should be starting 11 every time and would carry the team all over again (Although I realise I may have made it sound like that) but he was cut off way before he was past it but he could still bring something to the team no doubt, certainly could do better than Walcott (I've persuaded myself of that now).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    don't rate him at all. Denied Bent his 2006 world cup place. Is only fast and I can shoot better than he can 
  • Options

if walcott hadn't gone for top dollar and was playing for us, people would be stropping themselves sore over him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that wasn't bad was it? Pace and good finish. For all his faults he still carries a threat.
  • Options
    For England, he has done nothing, as far as I can see, and I always watch the games.
    You must've missed the 4-1 win in Croatia then!

Clearly has a lot of ability, but shows it only in fits and starts. Ashley Young has been England's top winger for the last few seasons. Adam Johnson is just as inconsistent I'd say.
    I was at that game, he didn't really do much other than score a hatrick, as bizarre as that sounds! Heskey was my man of the match.
    Put the crack pipe down FOD!
  • Options
    he would go and bloody score after i've slagged him off
  • Options
    The black Wagstaff!!!
  • Options
    The black Wagstaff!!!

Now, that is brilliant!
  • Options
    From the opinions on here, it sounds like most people share my opinion - he's another Henry. Remember when Wenger bought him from Juve and turned him from a frustrating yet talented winger into one of the world's best strikers? Quite why he doesn't do the same thing with Walcott I've no idea.

As easy as that!

Henry had played up front for Monaco and France and won a world cup/been in a Champions League semi final. 

Exactly Mclovin.  Wenger had worked on Henry being a striker since his time at Monaco.  He'd abjectly failed as a winger in Serie A.  Yes he did play on the wing at first for Monaco, but they also went on to use him through the middle.  Theo Walcott is the same age as Henry when he signed for Arsenal.  I doubt if Walcott will ever be a lone forward like Henry could be at Arsenal.

Walcott is best used as a tight inside left forward.  Much better at operating in channels, but also quite capable to push wide if the midfield drops deeper with a five and a breaking goalscoring central midfielder being it's fulcrum.  It's a shame he's not improved his crossing in tight situations, but his play will always be more effective on the break tighter to the box and dragging it back.  He will always need someone with more guile or more strength in fornt of him.
  • Options
    This season he looks like a man and not a lost on the pitch mascot