Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which team should play on Saturday?

After last night's excellent performance, compared with Saturday's poorer day at the office, does anyone think we should play "the reserves" v Bury?!
I'm deliberately being a bit silly, but it's a nice choice to have!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2011

Do not think any of the 11 who have started the league games deserve to be dropped, they have been excellent for 3 games and  Saturday was by no means a disaster.

However think Hamer and Green have a good chance at starting, especially if Robbie is closer to his move whilst Pritchard and Benson will be unlucky not to have a bench place.

Hamer/Elliot, Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Wiggins, Green/Waggy, Hollands, Stephens, Jackson, BWP, Hayes. Subs: GK, Doc, Pritchard, Waggy/Green, Benson.

Edit: depends on the fitness of Doc and Benson who may be unavailable anyway.

• Options
    I would still start wagstaff verses Bury away. Green is very good to come on from the bench at the moment. We are doing well/ok as it is in the league no need to change much. What appeard to be our second 11 looked very good and they will get their chance via injuries, drop in form etc, but its all about the team and we have started brightly apart from the minor slip up against Scunthorpe that cost us 2 points. If anything the performance from our others will keep our current 11 on our toes to play even better and keep place in the team.
  • Options

Hamer - Francis - Taylor - Mambo - Wiggins -Green - Hollands - Stephens - Jackson - BWP - Euell

Subs - Wagstaff - Pritchard - Morrison - Hayes - Sullivan - Docherty

Apologies to Solly, he has done nothing wrong. Francis MOM performance must get him a place. Wagstaff and Pritchard make excellent impact players.

Hayes also a bit unlucky as is Benson. Can't play them all though............

• Options
    Would hate to be Powell. Would probably drop Hayes and put Wagstaff behind the striker and Green on the right
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Hamer

Francis.....Taylor.....Morrison.....Wiggins

Green......Stephens.....Hollands.....Jackson

Waggy

BWP

Subs: Elliot,(Benson if fit if not Euell), Pritchard, Hughes, Hayes

Although it's very harsh on Solly :(

• Options
    Hamer
    Solly - Taylor - Morrison - Evina
    Wagstaff - Hollands - Stepens - Jackson
    BWP - Hayes

Subs:- GK/Wiggins - Mambo - Pritchard - Green - Euell

Looks like Benno and Doc are injured.
    Also I think we should risk not having a keeper for one game.

Powell has certainly got a headache!! 
  • Options
    I think it would be very very harsh to drop Solly as he hasn't really put a foot wrong yet. Wagstaff would not be able to play behind BWP and Green doesn't compliment Solly very well (as seen vs Scunthorpe).

It is either going to be Solly and Wagstaff or Francis and Green.
  • Options

tough side are Bury:

Elliott, Francis, Taylor, Morrison, Wiggins, Wagstaff, Stephens, Hollands, Jackson, Euell, Wright-Phillips 

• Options
    I think it would be very very harsh to drop Solly as he hasn't really put a foot wrong yet. Wagstaff would not be able to play behind BWP and Green doesn't compliment Solly very well (as seen vs Scunthorpe).

How do we possibly know that Waggy would not be able to play behind BWP until we have tried it, they have linked up very well so far this year and Waggy is undoubtedly better down the middle than on the wings. I do agree that Green doesn't compliment Solly but that's something to be worked on.
  • Options
    Would hate to be Powell. Would probably drop Hayes and put Wagstaff behind the striker and Green on the right
    I can see your thinking but would Waggy be able to play with BWP?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Its got to be something of a p*** take to play a completely different X1 (a reserve team) and still pretty much outplay a team in a higher division, have we become the Man Utd of League 1 ? Elliotts not gonna sign a contract so may as well ease Hamer in from now on, also would play Green from the start and use Wagstaff around the hour mark as his energy was impressive coming off the bench 
  • Options
    Dont change a thing, there is no need to at the moment. The other 11 will get their chance, just no point in altering an already good side that are gel'in well together.

Lets ask this, who has been our 'Worst' performer in our last 4 league games?
  • Options
    Dont change a thing, there is no need to at the moment. The other 11 will get their chance, just no point in altering an already good side that are gel'in well together.

If your going to go at it like that then maybe Wiggins? Most of the people at the game seem to think hes the only one who hasn't truly impressed, give Evina a chance maybe? 

For the record, I have no idea what I'd do if I was SCP right now. I think theres no need to change a team that's playing well, but at the same time, if he wants to keep the competition high you have to give them a reason to compete, and if you don't change the team even a little after all the great performances seen yesterday, how would it seem at all fair?
  • Options
    The only thing that's certain, is that whatever Powell does, if it goes wrong then people will say he should have done something different.  There are just too many possibilities for Saturday.
  • Options
    A few players may have tired slightly after the hour mark which is hardly surprising the amount of effort theyve been putting in the 1st halves but cant think of 1 person who has not played well during the league games, which makes a nice change. Only change id like to see is CP making substitutions slightly earlier and inject some fresh pace into the game around 60mins just to get a killer goal so we're not s******* our pants for the last 15-20mins.

Great feelgood factor at the moment though...its all good !
  • Options
    What a headache to have.  A nice headache, though.

Shows how well our squad as a whole have done so far.  I don't know enough about Bury (apart from that it will be a tough game) to know how to approach it tactically, and thus who to play.  I trust CP and the backroom team have done their homework though!
  • Options
    edited August 2011

This is how I see the team and subs will be for Saturday:
                 Hamer/Elliott
        Solly Taylor Morrison Wiggins
    Green Stephens Hollands Jackson
                  Hayes BWP

Subs: Elliott/Hamer, Hughes, Pritchard, Wagstaff, Euell

Doherty has a calf problem, Benson has a bad hand/finger, Wagstaff can play out wide or up top and I think Green has done enough to start in CP opinion, Wagstaff does well coming off the bench, Hughes is versitile - can play right back and centre mid, Pritchard done very well and I think he'll force his way onto the bench. Evina done well at left back but I don't think he will be in the squad just yet.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    We have 10 points from 4 games and have not lost.  I would keep the same side, with the exception of Hamer for Elliott if Elliott is going.  Subs could be tweaked so Pritchard / Benson are rewarded for their performances mid week. 
  • Options
    The only thing that's certain, is that whatever Powell does, if it goes wrong then people will say he should have done something different.  There are just too many possibilities for Saturday.
    I get the impression on here that it does not need things to go wrong for the team / club to be criticized.
  • Options
    Hamer is the only change I'd make to the 'original' team. Francis has done enough to bring himself into contention, but as Solly has played well so far, no point in dropping him. If what is said above is true, that Green and Solly don't function as a pair, I'd like to see Francis and Green play. Green can just create something out of nothing, and is the kind of lively player that can win a game like Bury with a moment of magic. I also hope Benson is afforded a spot on the bench, though doubt it if his hand is injured, as Euell is competent enough cover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Unless there are injuries, the only possible change is Green for Waggy although I expect Chrissy to leave  the team as it is. I think what Tuesday has done is a) confirm to Powell that the fringe players are ready to step up and b) provide a warning to the first team that if their performances drop they will be out of the side. The only players who are relatively safe IMO are BWP and JJ. That is excellent and If I was in the first team I'd be concerned about getting suspended or injured as you know there is a possibility you might not get your place back.

I think Pritchard, Francis, Benno and Green really strengthened their positions and are breathing down the first team's necks the most. I think another product of Tuesday is that Powell will be less desperate to bring in some new players. He has to consider how it could damage morale of those who have shown they are good enough and will probably only do something if a player becomes available (and is financially right) who is potentially better than what we have in the first team. There is always the emergency loan system and any money we have in reserve will help us bring in a better quality loanee if we have an injury crisis. I know Chrissy has publically said he doesn't like loans but the advantage of this approach is that you don't always know where an injury crisis may affect you - We could lose 3 out of 4 strikers or centre backs for instance.
  • Options
    What a dilemma. Sometimes I think the best thing to do is do nothing. This could well be one of those occasions. Perhaps shuffle the bench to include those who impressed most on Tuesday. It will probably boil down to how Powell intends to tactically approach the game taking into account Bury's strengths/weaknesses.
    What ever team starts we have the luxury of bringing on players who have the ability to change the game if things are not working out.
  • Options
    Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Subs:
    Sullivan
    Mambo
    Pritchard
    Green
    Euell
  • Options
    Don't see any reason to change anything at the moment. The players that featured on tuesday night have now thrown down the guantlet and those that are in the 1st team will now know their place isn't a gimme.

The only changes I can possibly see are on the bench. Doc may have to sit out due to going off on tuesday with an injury. Despite a really good performance  i'd still be reluctant to include Mambo as I don't think he's quite ready yet and would probably benefit better from a loan move (which won't happen unless we bring in another CB), So I'd opt for Francis.

Stephens and Hayes both had below par games on saturday but not enough to deserve being dropped. If Powell were to drop players after just one below average performance it could then create a fear within the players and could have a negative effect.
  • Options
    Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Wiggins, Green, Stephens, Hollands, Jackson, Wagstaff, BWP. (4-4-1-1)

Hamer should play as he loks good and there's no point in playing a keeper who looks destined to move, got to do this switch soon. Solly should keep his place, got to give young lads a chance with a run of games. Green has looked impressive and I think Wagstaff's better centrally. If we weren't so strong in centre midfield, then I'd play him there. We're away from home so this formation might work for us, with Hayes on the bench we could always change it if not. I'd like to see Pritchard on the bench too.
  • Options
    I expect the team to be unchanged from the last league match, with the possible exception of Hamer for Elliot.
  • Options
    With the window about to slam shut, I'd like to see Robbie, Francis and Benno start. But unless Vetere has a potent striker up his sleeve, I'd keep Benson unless 400k is offered. Promotion must be worth a million to us.
  • Options
    Hamer

Francis
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins

Green
    Stephens 
    Hollands
    Jackson

Hayes 
    BWP

SUBS: Elliot Evina Wagstaff Prichard Euell

• Options
    the only 2 dilemas that i think he will have is whether to start hamer and green but i think he will, and should, stick with the same starting 11. The Elliot situation will resolve itself but its very hard keeeping a quality player like Green out of the side. A real conundrum but an injury or loss of form is bound to open a door soon and Green should understand the situation.  
  • Options
    I think he'll play the same team. If CP took Elliot out now, it would also reduce the price from Newcastle if ( and it's a big if ) they come back in for him. More to the point, Elliot has done well so far. CP will also be reluctant to drop Wagstaff ( although Green is bound to get in sooner rather than later ).

Pritchard must have a good chance of getting on the bench and, indeed, getting on if our energy levels drop like they did in the second half against Scunny.