Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Football Demise

Comments

• Options
    lol ...  Sir Walter Ralleigh .. you sure he's scottish?
  • Options
    YEP
  • Options
    I think you mean Sir Walter Scott
  • Options

Did he make bikes as well ?

Your right.

Bollo#

• Options
    Ralleigh was from Devon. Cant get much further away from Scotland and still be in the UK.
  • Options

Did he make bikes as well ?

Your right.

Bollo#

never mind .. it was an amusing post, edit it and substitute scott for raleigh, no-one will ever know
  • Options
    ValleyGary4:41PMQuote
    Ralleigh was from Devon. Cant get much further away from Scotland and still be in the UK

Cornwall - Falklands -
  • Options
    falklands? ..... f f s .. check your atlas
  • Options
    You check your sense of humour first ffs............
  • Options
    You check your sense of humour first ffs............
    sorry, i missed the irony in the original
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    If Rangers & Celtic moved into the English leagues they would attract wealthy buyers and therefore attract decent players. Both clubs have a huge fan base which would eclipse most of the Premier League clubs. Without doubt the Old Firm derby is the biggest in the world and this would be a dream for the Premier League. However, this would destroy the SFA and all of the remaining clubs. I dont want Scottish teams in our leagues and think that the SFA really need a complete overhaul of their approach from top to bottom as the situation will only get worse rather than better soon.    
    Not at all. The only reason they have this mythical huge support is because they are second clubs to religious englishman. Bring them down here and watch all those people that buy a celtic shirt because of their catholic grandmothers disappear
  • Options
    If Rangers & Celtic moved into the English leagues they would attract wealthy buyers and therefore attract decent players. Both clubs have a huge fan base which would eclipse most of the Premier League clubs. Without doubt the Old Firm derby is the biggest in the world and this would be a dream for the Premier League. However, this would destroy the SFA and all of the remaining clubs. I dont want Scottish teams in our leagues and think that the SFA really need a complete overhaul of their approach from top to bottom as the situation will only get worse rather than better soon.    
    Not at all. The only reason they have this mythical huge support is because they are second clubs to religious englishman. Bring them down here and watch all those people that buy a celtic shirt because of their catholic grandmothers disappear
    Yep 50k each week to watch what is league one level football, and seeing these crap teams twice in a season is all mythical. Likewise the world record attendances, the 80k in Seville and the 200k in Manchester, all figments of our imaginations.
  • Options
    Rangers & Celtic are bigger clubs than every single club in England besides Man Utd and Liverpool...

Discuss ;-)
  • Options
    Celtic & Rangers finished 12th and 22nd respectivley in the whole of Europe last season for average attendances what do you mean not at all? only two premiership teams were above Celtic and four above Rangers. All Man Utd fans come from Manchester do they? if that is not mythical support I dont know what is. Not that I want it at all but if Celtic & Rangers did join the premier league they would sell out every home game and fill every away allocation whether genuine fans or not , this is the point being made.
  • Options
    I can't understand why two clubs with sell out 50k crowds every week, and thousands of replica shirt sales to religious bigots all over the world can't compete financially with Wigan?
  • Options
    I can't understand why two clubs with sell out 50k crowds every week, and thousands of replica shirt sales to religious bigots all over the world can't compete financially with Wigan?
    Because the finance comes from TV, and in Wigan's case Dave Whelen, not attendances and shirt sales.

I don't like Wigan but I'd rather them in The Premiership than some Scottish clubs. Let them play in Norway.
  • Options
    I know the TV money is massive JM, but surely with that many more fans through the gate and buying merchandise, the gap can't be THAT wide, can it? 
  • Options
    The political, legal and social ties between England and Wales, are different to those between England and Scotland, so the comparisons between Swansea and the Old Firm are moot.

As for allowing them in, the Premier League, or more the right to being in the Premier League is still based on merit, and not a franchised right, Rangers and Celtic have no right to be in the English system.

They would both struggle to get out of the Championship at the moment, let along League 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The political, legal and social ties between England and Wales, are different to those between England and Scotland, so the comparisons between Swansea and the Old Firm are moot.

As for allowing them in, the Premier League, or more the right to being in the Premier League is still based on merit, and not a franchised right, Rangers and Celtic have no right to be in the English system.

They would both struggle to get out of the Championship at the moment, let along League 1

They would both struggle to get out of League 2 at the moment, let alone League 1
  • Options
    I know the TV money is massive JM, but surely with that many more fans through the gate and buying merchandise, the gap can't be THAT wide, can it? 
    Ah but as we all know the sweaty socks are tight arses
  • Options
    I had a chat about this recently with a Scots friend. Sorry to be so gloomy yet again but the Scots lost a whole generation of young men to booze and heroin back in the 80s/90s  .. Irving Welsh is the Jonathan Swift of that era, a very sad time for Scotland and the UK.
    I dont buy that sweeping statement. You could make just the same sort of argument south of the border: "You no longer see kids playing informal football (or cricket) in parks, they're all on computers and eating burgers etc..." Doesn't seem to stop us producing great sportsmen,
  • Options
    It's fairly obvious to anyone with a brain that it's a financial issue.  Rangers and Celtic and other Scottish clubs aren't up to Premiership standards because they're financially hamstrung.  Almost any team that is promoted to the Premiership isn't capable of competing at the point that they're promoted - but inevitably they strengthen as a result of the cash injection.  There's no point in trying to asses their competitiveness based on the current strength of the squad, because that squad would be overhauled if they had a spot in the prem. 

An interesting side note to this is that 7 Premiership managers are from Glasgow - better represented than any country.
  • Options
    Scottish devolution which will surely become a reality at some point will kill off any chance that the Glasgow giants will be allowed to join the EPL ?
  • Options
    Bronby are finding it hard to compete with the rest of europe, so maybe we should invite them into our league too?

If we were to open our football doors to another country then it would be the start of a european league.

Why on earth would we invite 2 teams that hate the english so much?

And if we were to allow them in (which I'm strongly against), why would they go straight to the top division? Right at the bottom of non-league football and let them earn it like every other team.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that the old firm join the English leagues.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that the old firm join the English leagues.

But it has been suggested a number of times over the years. If the money grabbing monster that is the EPL sees any financial gain then it will be on the agenda again.
  • Options
    tangoflash 11:36AM QuoteIf we were to open our football doors to another country then it would be the start of a european league. 

And Swansea are in which part of England
  • Options
    Bronby are finding it hard to compete with the rest of europe, so maybe we should invite them into our league too?

Bronby are finding it hard to compete in the Danish league, so not a great example.  I would have thought that the point was fairly evident, but obviously not, the only reason that the EPL would be interested in introducing other teams, would be financial.  the Old Firm fit the bill because they would bring a large support and an even larger TV audience and they're right on the doorstep.  I'm not saying that should be the criteria, but it's the only circumstance where it would make sense for both parties.
    Why on earth would we invite 2 teams that hate the english so much?
    Errrm

You might as well dribble on about Liverpool "hating" Man U or Spurs "hating" Arsenal.  It's a rivalry thing.  Would Liverpool FC want Man U expelled from the league?  On an emotional level, of course, but on a financial level I doubt it.  Which do we reckon pushes the FA/Sky/football chairman's buttons?

Personally I couldn't care less if the old firm join the English or the Irish or the Albanian league or go down the plug hole, but there's some nonsense on this thread.