Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday - Disrespectful?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Winning is a habit..............................Make a few changes for the cup, try a new formation.
    Playing 11 new players doesn't teach as much as playing 3 or 4 and trying out something for the bigger games.
    Otherwise CP would have played the 11 who started against Reading in the next match.
    Disagree entirely. I would say our youngsters learnt more in that game against Reading (as well as gaining a lot of confidence) than Powell would've learnt about his team's diversity had he tried 'a new formation'.

Also, chopping and changing a formation/system between games is disruptive.
  • Options
    Not really much to add that others haven't said.

Silly competition that we are forced to enter in. If we were allowed to decide on the strengh of the team then maybe it would actually be taken more seriously by clubs, albeit as a reserve team cup.

What do the football league really expect if they force clubs to enter the competition? If they're not going to enter willingly then they're hardly going to put an effort in when they've been press ganged into it.

It would be interesting to see the reaction the FL would get if they tried to impose the rule of who plays to the league cup. They wouldn't even attempt it. The top 10 premier clubs don't even consider playing 1st teamers in the cup until the quarter finals.

Stupid paint pot. Glad we won't be in it next season.

• Options
    OK, here goes. I thought it was ridiculous for CP to make 11 changes for the Reading game. Disrespectful to the competition and me as I paid good money and gave up my time.
    Yep, we won. Had we lost, the posts on here would have been very different.
    Winning is a habit, scoring goals is also a habit. Stupid idea to play 11 new players. He got away with it.
    Next time he might not be so lucky.....

Bring it on.........
    Disagree with this. I would have been annoyed had Powell not rested our key players. How would you have felt if BWP had played and picked up a serious injury? We now have a squad with decent strength in depth and you have to rotate for fitness reasons and to give the squad players a chance to impress. Otherwise how else are the fringe players ever going to prove they are worthy of a place in the team. 

As for you giving up your money and time you must surely have know Powell was going to change the team? He even made a statement a few days earlier saying he was going to make changes.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Well, I knew the line-up before I set off that evening, yet i was still happy to part with my tenner. Yes, it was great to win but I honestly didn't care about the result. The league is far more important.

The reason I decided to go to that game was to see the likes of Hamer/ Bover/ Pritchard/ Evina/ Hughes/ Green play as I'd only previously seen them partly play against Welling and Den Bosch.

Now, if I was charged full price and saw tired 1st team players picking up injuries and bookings in a competition we're never going to win, then I'd be annoyed.

Was it not refreshing to see just what standard our back up players are and that they're not just squad fillers? I think that reserve team would have beaten our 1st team of last season, which shows me how far we've progressed in a short time.
    I also think as a spectacle, it was better to watch than the 2 home league matches.
  • Options
    Totally agree Tango, the opportunity to see younger players and fringe players given a shot should be a draw.
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Just reread my own post and decided to remove it as it was bollocks.
  • Options

Just reread my own post and decided to remove it as it was bollocks.
    Thanks for your honesty. ;-)

However, if i were to go by those standards, I'd have no posts on here. :-D
  • Options
    Doubt the rule will go, more likely the FA will get stubborn and increase it to 8 or something :-P
    Nothing to do with the FA - it is the Football League Trophy
  • Options
    This trophy really is a pot to piss in for the lower league clubs. ;)
  • Options
    Doubt the rule will go, more likely the FA will get stubborn and increase it to 8 or something :-P
    Nothing to do with the FA - it is the Football League Trophy
    Ok the Football League then. Apologies, must've been difficult to get the gist of what I was saying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I suppose the players could just stand around the goalmouth chatting for 90 mins.

Oh no, that was last season.
  • Options
    Football is meant to be a squad game, so the powers that be say. So why shouldn't the manager decide who he wants to play?

I though it was a real shame that Holloway/Blackpool got fined for changing his team early on last season.
  • Options
    Just looked at the draw for the second round we are in the South East pot so could be a game against The Gills or AFC Wimbeldon
  • Options
    I am in absolute uproar here.
    How dare Wednesday break abosolutely no rules at all.
    This is unacceptable and they must be punished.

I also saw a perfectly good cross whipped into the box and the winger didnt even get booked.

The League have to look into this pronto !!!!
  • Options
    Without the rule the JPT could be a very useful competition for us (in the absence of a reserve league) and one we would want to progress in. i'm sure Sheff Wednesday are glad to be out of it.
    This is a very good point. We don't have a reserves league to play in so if it wasn't for the stupid rules we could just use the JPT as a reserves cup. Unfortunately Powell has been forced to use the League Cup to this purpose instead.
  • Options

What annoys me, is the fact that you see all top teams in the prem rest all their players in league games and also fa cup and league cup games. The FA set no rules on these competitions as to how many first team players should play.

On top of that, the amount of subs in the football league has been lowered to 5 as we all know. While the prem stays at 7. So not only do they have the choice of playing their reserves or youth, they also have 7 subs to choose from as opposed to football league teams being monitored in the tin pot trophy!

Something seriously wrong with this!!

• Options
    Ah, who can forget the Shell Cup?
    Barbados vs Grenada
    This is wat the Leyland Daf Paint Cup needs
    Great rules like extra time goals count double
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThpYsN-4p7w&feature=player_embedded

• Options
    What difference would it make if extra time goals counted double?
  • Options

We're in the third division for god's sake.  If a chance of a Wembley final and a bit of match time for some fringe players isn't enough of a pull for teams then I wonder if football has lost its focus.  It's a bit of gate money and maybe a chance to bore a nationwide TV audience.  Us and Wednesday are in the nice position of having a squad.  Most teams in our league operate with far fewer players and manage to get on.

• Options
    Fair play to Megson IMO - was quite a cute thing to do and vaguely amusing to watch...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IMO making rules to force participation in a cup is pointless. If clubs are not interested in this cup (and a number don't sem to be) then just scrap it.

• Options

.  It's a bit of gate money and maybe a chance to bore a nationwide TV audience.

A bit of gate money that doesn't even cover the cost of opening the ground, use of floodlights, stewards wages, refreshment kiosks.................the list goes on. We'd be better off hiring somewhere like welling for a home game and we still wouldn't sell it out. Bet wednesday were glad it was away from home.
  • Options
    http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=154919&pid=3153312&st=0&#entry3153312 should they fear us ?
    Yeah we all know that we should win by 5 or 6 on monday, any less and i think we have reason to be disappointed.
  • Options
    What difference would it make if extra time goals counted double?
    Just another arbitrary rule change which led to a ridiculous situation, in the same way that the first team member rule led to ridiculous substitutions.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: we never play well on T.V but according to there form neither do they
  • Options
    cafcexile = major brown nosing
  • Options

Alfreton Town beat them 14-0 according to the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/results/default.stm

• Options

it's true but I think it was the sheff Wed youth team
  • Options
    Come on then, own up. Who is CCCC? Leroy gets my vote as the spelling gives him away. :-D