Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

At least we aint Plymouth..

Comments

• Options
    I agree with more comments on this thread than any other, it's disgusting that tops club pay extravagant fees for players (Carroll !!!), agents, wages yet just a tiny tiny percentage of that could save clubs existence and help the future of the English game.
  • Options
    BWPs fee went straight to the I.R.
    Was just the tip of the iceberg, still, not complaining they had to sell him!
  • Options
    Clubs are never 'toast'. Has anyone else noticed that? Since I've been alive, there has not been one club in the footballing league that has shut its doors and closed down. When was the last time it happened? Has it ever happened?

Worst comes to worst, they go into administration and come out of this with no debt. 

So I find it impossible to buy into this 'poor old x fc' thing.
    Maidstone, Aldershot Accringlinton Stanley amongst others. I know the names reemerged but I think they were toast. I could be wrong though
  • Options
    just look at the Blue Square Division (Div 5) and Downwards. Many teams have folded.
  • Options
    Clubs are never 'toast'. Has anyone else noticed that? Since I've been alive, there has not been one club in the footballing league that has shut its doors and closed down. When was the last time it happened? Has it ever happened?

Worst comes to worst, they go into administration and come out of this with no debt. 

Maidstone, Aldershot Accringlinton Stanley amongst others. I know the names reemerged but I think they were toast. I could be wrong though
    Maidstone Utd definitely became "toast" they did eventually begin again, initially under a different name but it was nealy a year later I believe and involved new people and playing in another new town
  • Options
    Agree with Leroy. It is only a matter of time before a club of note is wound up. Not only that I think once one goes then there will a few more follow quite quickly. The banks have quite rightly got the jitters with football clubs and outside the premier league most are living hand to mouth. Income from sky once again outside the PL is a disgrace and as fans feel the pinch as the ecconomic gloom bites harder so will clubs income streams in shirts etc etc. I think it's a worrying time for English football although you wouldn't notice because as far as the media is concerned there is only one division.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    The Premier league clubs will no more bail out a league two club than Tesco will bail on the local corner shop.

The Premier League however did bail out Pompey by increased the parachute payments as it would have been embarrassing to their "brand" for a club to be relegated and wound up from the "best league in the world".

And of course there was an element of self interest for the PL clubs in increasing the parachute payments as about 14 of them know it could be them next year.

As for the players they do help their fellow professionals via their union fees to the PFA.  The PFA also get, quite rightly imo, a slice of the TV money which they use to help pay wages to the likes of Plymouth, support retired or injured players and help grass roots football.   And that was a deal the Clubs wanted to get out of and branded the PFA greedy for insisting it continued.

I think Accrington were the last Club to fold mid-season in the league and that was 63 ish.

Other countries, such as France, have much stricter rules about finances and debt and will relegate clubs who don't comply.  We are starting to see watered down versions of this in the English lower leagues now.
  • Options

chester?
  • Options
    I don't think a redistribution of funding would make any difference. It's the approach to debt that has to change.
  • Options
    It is sickening. The Premier League lives in its own little bubble, where the fans who have real life financial problems are just seen as part of the experience and not as the reason why it is there. They charge through the roof for anything and everything because they can and will happily pimp their club to Asia or other foreign markets in the hope that they can get a little bit more money.
    I would love it if instead of agent fees all transfers in the Prem would go through the FA (I remember James Milner did this when he moved from Leeds to Newcastle). Ensuring a club can afford what they propose and in return the FA can take a percentage (not on the scale of the agents) and put it into helping the football league's struggling clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news, Plymouth players agree to play tonight and will start getting some money. No idea what is happening long term, but good that they are finally getting a some wage in there pockets
  • Options

Maidstone I think went not just into receivership but oblivion.
  • Options
    the prem is sucking the life out of true English football
  • Options
    the prem is sucking the life out of true English football
    Totally agree - but it's aided and abetted by politicians too. West Ham (when in the Prem) by Newham Council and Spurs by Boris and the GLA. They want to bask in the reflected glory but piss on teams like Orient. 
  • Options
    Just seen the local news down here in Devon. Plymouth players and staff have not been paid since December and the players are now threatening to strike for the next match. Its got so bad that some have had to start considering selling up there property and they can no longer afford the mortgages. Peter Reid headed a meeting last night with the management to find out where season ticket and attendance money for the season has gone, the directors had no answer.....
    that puts the players in a similar position to many recently 'released' employees in all kinds of companies and industries .. times are not easy nowadays
  • Options
    Yes and no. If you are released you can at least find some kind of work if you are desperate. The Plymouth players have turned up for work, for 9 months with no pay.. obviously having no chance to pick up cash elsewhere and still having the costs of being employed.
  • Options
    Good news, Plymouth players agree to play tonight and will start getting some money. No idea what is happening long term, but good that they are finally getting a some wage in there pockets

last I read on the Herald site was that the takeover is falling through and Ridsdale has flown to New York to find a new buyer!
  • Options
    Yes and no. If you are released you can at least find some kind of work if you are desperate. The Plymouth players have turned up for work, for 9 months with no pay.. obviously having no chance to pick up cash elsewhere and still having the costs of being employed.
    as i understand the various reports the players have been getting about 1/2 pay from Plymouth and the PFA make up the rest .. so I don't really see how the players are able to plead total poverty
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Fair play, from reports here they have been getting £0. Only today has an agreement been made for them to get anything

EDIT: That may be some players, but not all
  • Options
    It's too easy to put down the likes of Ridsdale, in this event he was asked by people trying to sort out the mess at Plymouth to help.  They were already on sail to the rocks before he got there.  At least the bloke is putting in his time trying to save the club and I would imagine he is also out of pocket doing a job that no one else is prepared to do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with the comments about the Premier, perhaps they should realise
    that you are only considered a big fish when there are small fish to compare
    against.

Players wages and transfers fees are now more than out of sync
    with the economies.

Also I would point out that although the Premier is
    over the top we have the similar imbalances in every league now.  You only have
    to listen to AFC Bournemouth fans meeting with their directors on the BBC (AFC
    Bournemouth page).

• Options

What an obscene contrast between the transfer window circus and the plight of Plymouth. Who can anyone blame for this massive imbalance and what could be done to address it?

• Options
    It's all down to the LibCon coalition. Didn't you realise everything is their fault?
  • Options
    edited September 2011

What an obscene contrast between the transfer window circus and the plight of Plymouth. Who can anyone blame for this massive imbalance and what could be done to address it?

no business be it a football club, British Leyland or a corner shop has a divine right to exist or to survive bad management or misguided or greedy financial stewardship. If Plymouth Argyll goes to the wall, tough, former directors pushed the boat out too far in a futile search for success and now (excuse the mixed metaphor) chickens are coming home to roost. P A won't be the first club to go under, it won't be the last.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

no business be it a football club, British Leyland or a corner shop has a divine right to exist or to survive bad management or misguided or greedy financial stewardship. If Plymouth Argyll goes to the wall, tough, former directors pushed the boat out too far in a futile search for success and now (excuse the mixed metaphor) chickens are coming home to roost. P A won't be the first club to go under, it won't be the last.
    Well LA, thank you for that cheery statement of the bleeding obvious. What about the fans then? Do they deserve their cherished club going to the wall?

The reality is that virtually no club will ever totally disappear because even if they go bust, the fans will keep them going because their bond is greater than those bound by finances.
  • Options
    It's all down to the LibCon coalition. Didn't you realise everything is their fault?
    Blimey, normally everything is "MoG's fault....."
  • Options
    Normally it is, MoG.

But we reckoned without David "£40million" Cameron and his understanding of idealism before pragmatism.

Otherwise I'd blame Andrew Mills, like everybody else.

;o)

• Options
    So its
    a. Cameron
    b. MOG
    c. Mills
    d. Thatcher?
    Just so I get it right...
  • Options
    And Dowie.
  • Options
    No room for Sooper Al Pardew?