Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friends

I have long wondered why this shyte is still endlessly broadcast on UK TV.
Finally E4/C4 will stop it on Sunday.

What is beyond belief is their viewing figures of 400,000 per episode.
Who on earth watches it ten years after it first stopped and after DVD sets for 10p in Our Price have been on sale endlessly?

Comments

• Options
    I can proudly say i have never watched an episode. I tried but the ridiculous canned laughter got the better of me after 5 minutes. 
  • Options
    i used to like it but the endless repeat's are ridiculous and how are people not bored yet is beyond me
  • Options
    I can proudly say i have never watched an episode. I tried but the ridiculous canned laughter got the better of me after 5 minutes. 

Canned laughter - one of my pet hates.

MASH when broadcast in the States had canned laughter added, which the BBC had the wisdom to remove and made it into a different programme.

• Options
    Pretty much the same for me.  I tried to watch it once just to see what all the hype was about.  After five mins I hadn't heard one funny thing (except the laughter track); gave up at that point.
  • Options
    Pretty much the same for me.  I tried to watch it once just to see what all the hype was about.  After five mins I hadn't heard one funny thing (except the laughter track); gave up at that point.
    hey lads .. it is really a programme for the girls !!!!
  • Options
    what's always annoyed me about 4 is the endless repeats of rubbish like this rather than the far supperior "cheers" or the various channel 4 shows from the past such as Scully , The Manageress , no problem , white teeth , prosects , and the one off "shooting stars" drama .
  • Options
    This is a strange forum
  • Options
    you aint seen nuthin yet
  • Options
    I loved Friends was genuinely gutted when they aired the final episode :-( 

However, I do not watch the re-runs, it's too upsetting. :-((
  • Options

awwwww.. how's the cribbage going?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I used to watch it occasionally and then one day I started to think that this is supposed to be a comedy and I haven't laughed once. So I stopped watching it.

• Options
    Friends isn't bad at all; it's by no means perfect, but is at times hilarious.  There are MUCH worse programmes on channel 4.  I've been on holiday recently and seen some of the utter crap that C4 has to offer in the mornings.  Have you ever seen 'According to Jim'?  That is complete garbage.

By the way, I also hate laughter tracks, I think they are appalling and hugely offensive to the viewing audience.
  • Options

I joined the one pheonix was talking about but haven't seen anyone. was leaving it up to him to organise a tournie don't know where he is though :-//
  • Options
    Never saw that episode.

Not suprising as I have never watched any episode.
  • Options

Thing with Friends is that E4 is aimed at 16-24 year olds who were not around when it first came out, so it picks up 'new' fans every time.

And it is still running in the UK - got sent an advertiser sponsorship proposal from Comedy Central today.

• Options
    I think Friends is great. There, said it.
  • Options

I joined the one pheonix was talking about but haven't seen anyone. was leaving it up to him to organise a tournie don't know where he is though :-//
    Siv is currently enjoying the sights of Vegas
  • Options
    I think Friends is great. There, said it.

Me too
  • Options
    It's a an extremely tight show. There are no bits when you are like 'oo err' when someone says something you don't believe their character would say, or a storyline doesn't make sense. You can't say this for 99% of the things on tv. Especially sitcoms. Even the bad lines are completely brushed over by the superb casting between character and actor.

As with any comedy, the humour is going to be subjective. To be honest, I used to find it laugh out loud hilarious when I was younger. Now, I still watch it if there's nothing else on, but definitely don't laugh. Still find it entertaining, though. And at the time of day that it's shown, it's your best choice.

Friends is neither edgy nor pushing the boundaries, but it's a class act. Very polished, but slowly ageing into the outdated category and awaiting the  same fate as Cheers etc.
  • Options
    Yep, I liked Friends. A bit dated now though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a great programme for its time. Brilliant.characters with the right actors to carry it. Perfect viewing with the missus.

Would never be as cutting edge as other comedies but that wasn't what it was meant to be.
  • Options
    i love friends full stop!! :-)
  • Options
    It was very well written - they had about 32 writers, unlike our home-grown sitcoms which are typically written by one person. It was, though, really just a series of gags - ours tend to be a bit deeper than that.

Of course, as a red-blooded male, I was constantly trying to decide which one of the women I wanted to sleep with, okay, I was deciding on the order... which one to do first?
  • Options

Some people...like me....never watched it 10 years ago or whenever it was first/second/third shown. Must admit to liking the program.

• Options
    Anyone who complains about the 'fake laughing' in friends has clearly never seen Two and a half men

Drives me crazy!
  • Options

there are far worse shows being repeated all the time.

i have a 'magic' box that i use when they appear on my screen. it's called a remote control.

• Options
    I can watch it over and over again. Love it.

And Friends has only limited canned laughter. Everything in Central Perk and the apartments is shot in front of a live audience. Unsure about other sets though.
  • Options
    I can watch it over and over again. Love it.

And Friends has only limited canned laughter. Everything in Central Perk and the apartments is shot in front of a live audience. Unsure about other sets though.
    Yes, but you are in it arent you, Ross?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    gotta say friends is brilliant, if ya dont like friends dont watch e4, simples.
  • Options
    gotta say friends is brilliant, if ya dont like friends dont watch e4, simples.
    Obviously, but that wasnt the point.
    400,000 each episode is a huge number, ten years or more since it was first broadcast.
    I dont think it has been off the screen since then so surely those who like it will have already seen it at least once or twice or three times, or bought it on dicount DVD?