Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friends

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2011

maybe e4 dont have the money to buy the rights to another newer show to broadcast?
  • Options
    They have lost the rights now but will be picking up Happy Endings and some others.
    They have shown 1,000 hours of Friends each year. With viewing figures like that its unsuprising they kept filling their schedules with it.
  • Options
    I can watch it over and over again. Love it.

And Friends has only limited canned laughter. Everything in Central Perk and the apartments is shot in front of a live audience. Unsure about other sets though.
    Yes, but you are in it arent you, Ross?
    Multi-millionaire me....
  • Options
    ..and you STILL love Charlton!
    What a guy!
  • Options
    I feel I should point out that Friends is still hilarious to me, albeit the repeats have killed it a little, but I can still laugh it. Although I agree,t hat the repeats have become a bit much really, more so with programmes such as One Tree Hill and such crap as that, and moreover 90210 which is just a hideous example of popular American television. I don't see why BBC doesn't start playing brilliant oldies such as Fawlty Towers, Blackadder (am aware they already play this every so often), Only Fools and Horses and Morecambe and Wise. That would get far more views than something like My Family that used to be good but now has just turned sour...

• Options
    edited September 2011
    ..and you STILL love Charlton!
    What a guy!
    Who do you think the mystery owner is?

• Options
    lol, love it!
  • Options
    I was working at C4 when the last episode was aired. It was known that one of the cast was being interviewed in the studio on the Thursday before airing and was hoping it was Jeniffer Aniston or if not one of the other birds. Imagine my disspointment when I walked into the canteen on the morning of the filming to see Gunter (the guy who worked in central perk) eating his breakfast!
  • Options
    What Chunes said.

Enjoyed it at the time, I don't watch it now but it was easy family entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    The reason that there's so many re-runs of 'Friends' is because no-one has ever come-up with a funnier TV sitcom.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The reason that there's so many re-runs of 'Friends' is because no-one has ever come-up with a funnier TV sitcom.

There are a dozen British comedies that have come out since, that are funnier than Friends. That's without mentioning brilliant HBO  comedies such as  "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and " Flight of The Concordes"   either of which does not have to rely on a laughter track .  
  • Options

There are a dozen British comedies that have come out since, that are funnier than Friends. That's without mentioning brilliant HBO  comedies such as  "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and " Flight of The Concordes"   either of which does not have to rely on a laughter track .  
    Live studio audience, not laughter track. Which, I might add, was the style of the 90s.

Oh, and Alan Partridge has a laughter track.
  • Options
    Surprised at some of the hatred for Friends, personally I like it, don't love it but its fairly inoffensive even if you don't like it. For me the scene where Ross is trying to get the sofa up the stairs has me in bits every time
  • Options
    PIVVOOOTTT!!
  • Options

The comedies you mention are good and funny but appeal to a more select audience, whereas friends has a far wider range which include probably 50% of blokes and 95% of women. I personally was a keen viewer when it was originally shown. Not bothered about the constant re-runs, although I have watched the odd one when I have 20 mins to kill. I could watch Courtney Cox all day........................................