Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Super Surrey

2»

Comments

• Options

We support who we support for various different reasons....there are no rules! 

• Options
    Dad born in Manchester ....

oh lanky lanky
    lanky lanky lanky lanky lancashire
  • Options
    Grew up in Kennington and went to school overlooking The Oval.

Certainly Surrey territory but definitely not Charlton-land. Fortunately had a CAFC supporting next-door-neighbour who took me to games and that was that.
    Wasn't the Henry Fawcett was it?  I used to go there, left in 1953.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Grew up in Kennington and went to school overlooking The Oval.

Certainly Surrey territory but definitely not Charlton-land. Fortunately had a CAFC supporting next-door-neighbour who took me to games and that was that.
    Wasn't the Henry Fawcett was it?  I used to go there, left in 1953.

Bangkokaddick almost certainly went to Archbishop Tenison's (Grammar) School, as I did. Unfathomable to support anyone but Surrey, even though I'd probably never been to the 'county' proper before I left school.

Football-wise, Kennington/Oval/Vauxhall/Stockwell was about 90% Chelsea in the 70's

• Options
    Henry Fawcett was the primary school.  I almost went to Archbishop Tennysons, but most of my friends were going to The Strand (I am not sure if it is still a grammar school), so I plumped for that as my first choice.

I could see half of the Oval from the roof of Henry Fawcett, and caught a glimpse of some of the test matches in '51 & '52.  Used to help them collect the cushions after the game for half a crown, I think.

Started going to the Valley in 1954, and although Charlton was my team, we alternated with going down the Den when Charlton were away.  Mainly because of the fights you used to get on the pitch.  If I remember Joe Broadfoot was always at the centre of them, although that was later in the '50s, possibly early sixties.

Saw all the old greats at the Valley though.
  • Options
    Anyone mention Surrey's win in the Pro40 final at Lords on Saturday? No? Just thought I'd mention it.
  • Options
    CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!