Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man U on telly

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Its nearly the end of september and man u have had every one of their games shown on tv. I think this is pretty ridiculous i mean talk about the rich getting richer and also increases the future arm chair support for their club. They are on again tonight and on the weekend to stoke, think its getting to the stage where they will have 1 or 2 games not on tv a season

Comments

• Options
    Forget the rest of the Premiershit, there's only the 'Sky 4'.

Or perhaps Sky now believe the Prem is Man U?

Poxy media circus.
  • Options
    As much as its annoying, it caters for the majority of fans....(they have the biggest fan.base in the world and in the UK)....plus they are the best team.....what you rather watch...man utd vs chelsea or qpr vs swansea? As for tonight's game,.its the biggest tie in the star due to the size of the clubs and the history
  • Options
    Its nearly the end of september and man u have had every one of their games shown on tv. I think this is pretty ridiculous i mean talk about the rich getting richer and also increases the future arm chair support for their club. They are on again tonight and on the weekend to stoke, think its getting to the stage where they will have 1 or 2 games not on tv a season

What game would you have prefered tonight? There isnt a better tie than Leeds vs Man Ure. If you dont like it dont watch it.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    As much as its annoying, it caters for the majority of fans....(they have the biggest fan.base in the world and in the UK)...
    No, that's not quite right .........Skychester United have the biggest number of armchair viewers in UK/World.
    And biggest consumer base of purchases online and in sports shops throughout the World.
  • Options
    ? Can't believe how people can disagree with frankly the most potent post in a while. As for who would you rather watch, I would rather watch anyone else than United, including Swansea QPR
  • Options
    Man U v Leeds has every right to be on the tele, it's their more low key away games at Bolton and Stoke that ESPN are showing that really grate. If nothing else it's unfair on the United fans, who so far haven't had a Saturday 3.00pm kick off.  
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Man U v Leeds has every right to be on the tele, it's their more low key away games at Bolton and Stoke that ESPN are showing that really grate. If nothing else it's unfair on the United fans, who so far haven't had a Saturday 3.00pm kick off.  
    Well, there are plenty of trains from Surrey/London for those United fans who actually go to the match.

The rest go to the nearest pub in their replica shirts, or stay at home with a 6-pack.
    How many of those have actually been to Old Trafford?

United "fans", do me a favour.
  • Options
    im not saying tonights shouldnt be on but they have had EVERY one of there games shown this season and are on telly again on the weekend, no wonder so many kids support man u
  • Options
    United are one of the teams i actually enjoy watching apart from Charlton. Giggs is just class.
  • Options
    United are one of the teams i actually enjoy watching apart from Charlton. Giggs is just class.

I have to agree....especially about giggs, absolute quality
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What was chanted?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Who those who claimed that if we did monkey chants like the Bulgarian fans we would receive a heavy fine, I take it you heard the abuse Giggs received?
  • Options
    Who those how claim that if we did monkey chants like the Bulgarian fans we would receive a heavy fine, I take it you heard the abuse Giggs received?
    drinking?? who those how claim?? WTF??
  • Options
    All I heard was Giggs will tear you apart again.
  • Options
    As mentioned before, biggest club in the world... whats surprising.
  • Options
    Millwalll getting a total tonking at Wolves 5-0

And MK Dons now losing to an 89th minute goal at Burnley
  • Options
    MK and Rochdale let me down tonight.
  • Options
    I strongly suspect those defending Man Utd being on tele all the time are among our younger members. I would rather watch QPR v Swansea, but commercially the more Utd games on TV (especially those not on terrestrial TV) the better. One sided matches are not interesting.   
  • Options
    Get the biggest audiences so the TV companies will always want them on as they get the best subscription/advertising revenue.  It's why we've got dozens of channels showing terrible reality or "celebrity" TV while BBC4 is under threat.  Blame god for making so many people thick, not Sky.  It wasn't that long ago that there were no live games on TV so it's not like the smaller clubs have lost anything.  By the end of September we'll have been on twice.  20 years ago a third division club would have to get to the FA cup final if their fans wanted to see them on the box with Motty chatting over the top of their game.
  • Options
    Isn't the Sky TV money distributed equally between all the Premiership teams (for league games)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pretty sure all the prem clubs are contracted to show a minimum of 6 or so games and then after that if a club is shown on sky they are given royalties in the rough figure of 100-200k per game, not 100% on this tho
  • Options
    dipped in and out of last night but andy coles son on the wing looks a talent, the ball looked glued to his foot everytime he recieved the ball and went on a run, a tad on the short side but looks to have a massive future ahead of him.
  • Options
    Get the biggest audiences so the TV companies will always want them on as they get the best subscription/advertising revenue.  It's why we've got dozens of channels showing terrible reality or "celebrity" TV while BBC4 is under threat.  Blame god for making so many people thick, not Sky.  It wasn't that long ago that there were no live games on TV so it's not like the smaller clubs have lost anything.  By the end of September we'll have been on twice.  20 years ago a third division club would have to get to the FA cup final if their fans wanted to see them on the box with Motty chatting over the top of their game.
    True, but blame thick people for subscribing to Sky in the first place and feeding the perpetual beast.
    Isn't the Sky TV money distributed equally between all the Premiership teams (for league games)?
    Sort of, but the more a team is shown the more revenue it receives, so it suits the Glazers very nicely for Man U to be shown live as often as possible.  After all they have masses amount of debt to pay-off, we wouldn't want to see the biggest club in the world default (but everyone else who might, make sure they get 10 point deductions or worse).  Clubs also receive a bonus at the end of the season depending on where they finish in the table.  In fairness it was a lot worse in seasons gone by where the Top 4 got 3-4 times as much in TV money than anyone else, that ratio has dropped enormously in recent years.  Blackpool received £40m last year, the smallest of any team in the league, Man Utd got £60m.

Still it makes me laugh the hypocrisy of people that do subscribe to Sky and then moan about footballers wages, the dominance of the Top 4, the ever widening gap between rich clubs and poor ones, the state of the England national team and the state of the modern game etc etc.  Don't like it?  Don't subscribe then.
  • Options

Must be the younger generation like watching Man Utd?

Very strange comment. I would say that any sentiment towards Man U would be from the older generation. Always has been.

Anyway, I'd rather watch Man Utd on TV than any other English team, so long may it continue. If you don't like watching Man Utd, you don't like football.

• Options

If you don't like watching Man Utd, you don't like football.

Very strange comment. You must be barmy, if you can say that!

I don't bother watching Man Utd or any of the Premiershit on TV.
    Much rather actually go to games........which is why I see as many Charlton matches as I possibly can.

• Options

I find in my experience that most people who go to games to generally watch one team do not in fact like football that much.

• Options

I find in my experience that most people who go to games to generally watch one team do not in fact like football that much.

Magic!
  • Options
    wow i agree with oggy for once, what a day.
  • Options
    I've got no evidence to back this up, but I'm pretty sure, based on the amount of times my best mate insists on coming over to watch the games since he cancelled his subscription, that Spurs are in fact on TV more than any other team. Particularly when they are in Europe. Last season it was basically every week.

Last night's game was a Carling Cup tie, and certainly the most interesting to the casual viewer, and was a logical choice for a screening. This has nothing to do with how much money UTD will receive from the Premier League deal.

As an aside - a few years back a few guys, who are no doubt on this forum, Prague Addick I am aware of, looked into this quite deeply. Back then, about 2003, Sky were contractually obliged to show 3 games per team,  and were then free to show as many games per team once that agreement was met (if memory serves). We got hold of viewing figures, no mean feat, and discovered that Blackburn Vs. Charlton on Monday Night Football actually beat one of the 'top four' games for viewing figures!

• Options
    I guess it depends on what you want to see. Last night's game was always going to be a one sided affair, Leeds aren't playing particularly well and Man United are in fantastic form. The two games with the highest aggregate scores last night were also the two that, on paper at least, looks liked intriguing match-ups that could results in cup upsets. I'm referring to Forest v Newcastle (3-4) and Wolves v Millwall (5-0). I think we would have all enjoyed seeing Millwall tonked, but with the gift of hindsight, the Forest game was the most entertaining of the night.

Without checking I don't know which games are being televised tonight, but going down the fixture list the stand out tie is Liverpool v Brighton. Chelsea v Fulham could be interesting, but I know which of the 2 I'd rather watch. Much like last night's one way snore-fest though I'm guessing that Man City v Brum will be the televised game, and will result in a similar score line and lack of real competition.