Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United vs. Charlton | 1st October 2011 | Match Preview, Teams, News, Predictions

WSSWSS
edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Many described Tuesday night's opponents in Milton Keynes as the best we played all season. For 45 minutes at least, they did to us what we have been doing to teams all season - controlling the play, keeping possession and creating a decent number of chances. It is however testament to this group of players that they were able to regroup during the interval and come out with renewed vigour returning to the way of playing that has brought so much success this season. Effective substitutions by Powell and important saves by Ben Hamer ensured that the Addicks remained as one of the trio of unbeaten teams in League One alongside Hartlepool and Huddersfield.

There is no doubt that Saturday's game against Sheffield United is likely to be one of, if not the, most difficult games of the season for us, with the Blades having the second best home record in the division and managing to keep the majority of their players since the relegation from the Championship. Expectation is high around Bramall Lane in front of crowds that are regularly topping 15,000, the crowd are expecting to win most games and have an instant return to the Championship next year. Sounds awfully familiar doesn't it? Having lost to newly promoted Wycombe last time out, the Blades will be looking to bounce back against Charlton this weekend and the team that embarks on its third game in seven days is going to have to be at the top of its game to return to SE7 with some points in the bag. United are averaging 2.40 goals in home games but were turned over 3-0 by Huddersfield a fortnight ago - their sole defeat on home turf.

An off-the-bench combo of Danny Green and Yann Kermorgant rescued a point midweek for the Addicks and both will be hoping to squirm their way into Chris Powell's first team that has only be (forcibly) changed twice all season. A Danny Green and Scott Wagstaff debate could rumble on all season, but Scott knows he has a battle on his hands and the game in Sheffield could be his last chance to convince the gaffer he is the man to marshall the right side of our midfield. The Hayes and BWP partnership seems to be appreciated by the team and manager, if not in the crowds, and dependant on the fragile knee of our top-scorer, Yann The Man is likely to be utilised from the bench if needed.

As has been the case for the majority of the season, the rest of the team in midfield and defence will remain as consistent. If Charlton's results remain as stable as the team against what is perceived to be likely title contenders than the past seven days will have been very positively. That being said, I think we are going to have a challenge on our hands and for the first time this season, Preview Towers is predicting a 2-1 defeat.

Let's hope we're wrong. Come on you reds.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Should be an interesting game and interesting weekend end

At the top of the table the other games are

Bees v Terriers
    Pools v Owls
    O's v Lillywhites
    Dons v Magpies

Another draw 0 - 0 as I'm going up there.

Charlton's Current position 1st:  Highest possible position after game 1st; Lowest 2nd
    United's Current Position 3rd:  Highest possible position after games 2nd; lowest 6th

• 1-1 draw bwp for us
  • Huddersfield unbeaten aswell WSS. Good preview, think we can get another point, 1-1
  • can't see us winning , no way , we rode our luck on tuesday and we're due a loss

draw if we're lucky

1-1 @ best

• 2-0 Charlton.
  • Dreamt we'd lose 1-0. Can't see us winning, but we do have the quality to beat them.
  • Blades 1 - 2 Addicks 
  • im going for 3-2 cafc with taylor getting his 1st goal for us,BWP, and kermorgant getting 85 min winner :-)
  • 2-1 defeat, I hope I am wong though
  • Sponsored links:

• Nailed on Colchester-esque (nightmare performance) 3-0 defeat.

Will be there to witness it.
  • Fancy our chances here, be tight as expected but sneaky a win, we average 2 goals a game so we should score, Utd good at home but do concede, hope I'm right...
  • 1-0 to the Londoners
  • lose 1-0.

Its gotta happen sooner or later unfortunately.
  • Score draw

Maybe archbishop desmond 2-2
  • My first game this season, so a guaranteed defeat im afraid!!
  • can see this being 3-0 loss
  • can't see us winning , no way , we rode our luck on tuesday and we're due a loss

draw if we're lucky

1-1 @ best

this
  • edited September 2011
    Got to happen sooner or later, BUT:
    Blades have lost two this season, one convincingly.
    They've lost at home.
    We will have learnt some stuff from Franchise game.
    Kermogant will be one game and one week more integrated with the team.

Head says 2 all.

But to hell with that.
    2 - 0 to us.
    Kermogant and Bradders

Hamer MOM after saving our usual unfairly given penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think we'll lose.  Will be close fought game  - think 2-1.
  • A win here would be an unbelievable result here.

A draw would be pretty good, but Preston could take over us into 1st, which puts a different slant on it lol.

Aslong as we don't lose here, I'll be happy. One of the toughest games we'll have all season (on paper).
  • nailed on draw. 2-2.

think i saw 9/4 for the draw. bet of the day.

• 1-1 and mom for wiggins
  • Sheff UTD 1 Charlton Athletic 2

Can`t believe some of the negative predictions on here!
  • Win this and I'll buy a bottle of champagne ... Would be a HUGE win ...
  • Will take the draw now
  • Couple of things ... Firstly to do these over a season a draw there and win at ours as steve brown said will put us where we want to be ... Also we owe these a bit, home and away in our relegation season from the prem ... And the pardew out game where our defense resembled stationary traffic cones and probably the most toxic day in the modern valleys history ... If powelly can get it right ... Soak up the initial pressure then get a wrighty goal on the break ... Well we see, but far out id be absolutely chuffed ...
  • That game back in December 2006 still haunts me. We were so so bad. Nearly as bad as we were a few weeks later vs Boro.