Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich During 2012 Equestrian Events

Just had a flyer put through the door re the above, it says  "draft proposals include
* road closures
*introduction of a one way gyratory system
*Bus diversions
*Station closures
*Changes to controled parking zones
*changes to residents parking bays
*increase parking charges
*effects on delivery for businesses
*routes for spectators and athletes
*blue badge, cycle and taxi parking
*park and ride

These are "early proposals and LOCOG will have a numpty at meeting to answer queries !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  queries are you having a laugh ? station closures / bus diversions/ residents parking suspened/road closures  in Greenwich ?????  if it rains hard  its grid lock !

Location for a chat  about it all is Davenport Hse, King William Walk

20 Oct 4/7 pm
21 Oct 9/6 pm
22 Oct 9/5 PM

Park and ride that worked SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well at the Dome.

Comments

• Options
    WTF is the point of suspending any kind of road transport AND effecting station closures?  I understand that the olympics will cause an element of disruption, but it's irritating that they seem to want to clear the city of all the plebs that have paid for the fcking thing so the various olympic flunkies and hangers on can swan about unimpeded. 
  • Options
    I have a friend working for LOCOG who told me to get out of town when the Olympics is on.

Woolwich is going to be crippled as well she reckons - closing off the road from Shooters Hill to the Ferry.
  • Options
    Got to say, I've been living in Whistler for the past 4 years and the town went through all these same issues with the winter Olympics coming to town.

There were people here griping about road closures, the cost, how they never wanted the Olympics anyway and how it was going to effect their day to days lives so badly, etc, etc.

And it turned out it was crazy, there were loads of "foreigners" who turned our town into a circus and got in the way, bus drivers ferried in from all over Canada who got lost on bus routes they didn't know. Then we had the lack of snow in some of the Vancouver events and the poor Georgian athlete (RIP) killed on the day of the opening ceremony up here at the sliding centre.

But, it was the greatest month long parties I have ever been to. Everyone was enjoying the experience with a massive grin on their face and chuffed to be part of one of the greatest sporting events in the world. I was luck enough to see GB win gold in the Skeleton and some of the Canadian golds on home soil. Then watched Canada win the ice hockey on the final day with a whole bunch of Cannucks.... Whistler went off! I was glad to be here and see amateur athletes realising their dreams at the pinnacle of their sport after working so hard. And this was just the winter Olympics.

The summer Olympics is a whole new level. It's going to be immense, there will be some challenges.... but it's worth it, in my opinion. I for one will be back in the UK next summer... drinking the Olympic juice.
  • Options
    I saw in the paper over the weekend about Greenwich talking about raising parking fines up to £1000 per ticket! Hmmmm a good way of making money me thinks!
  • Options

This doesn't mean ALL road and ALL stations ALL the time! I suspect its includes closing Greeniwch station just before an event starts to avoid over crowding, the same as they do with other stations all the time around big events.

And anyone whi is suprised at the scale of disruption has been hiding under a bush for the past two years.

• Options
    Go USA, Canada, New Zealand or Oz whilst its on. Gonna be a nightmare!
  • Options
    Everything about the Olympics stinks. I could go on about this for hours. Suffice it to say that it will bring no tangible benefits to the country at all, taxpayers are basically paying for a month-long advertising clusterf***.

I'm getting the f*** outta Dodge for the entire fortnight its on.
  • Options
    All the planned closures are on the tfl website and they ain't as bad as you think , chill out enjoy the spectacle because it will never be back in any of our lifetimes , I can't wait
  • Options
    The Olympics worked well for Nazi Germany in 1936.
  • Options
    All the planned closures are on the tfl website and they ain't as bad as you think , chill out enjoy the spectacle because it will never be back in any of our lifetimes , I can't wait
    I agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree
    and optimistically i agree
  • Options
    I live on charlton park lane, my road Is being closed to public, only residents, officials and sports people allowed down it, but the best bit is all the speed bumps are being removed while the Olympics is on then reinstated after
  • Options
    I am looking forward to it very much, I cant wait to walk up to the shooting arena... have  any of you seen Woolwich common lately?

Anyway but its all very good people saying chill out and enjoy when they dont live in the effected areas. My line is going to be carnage.  Carnage.  Hoping my boss will be reasonable.
  • Options
    Here is Woolwich common.  The horses are going to be held up here too I believe - they will be passing through Charlton then? 

http://853blog.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/woolwich-commons-olympic-makeover-goes-on/#comments

• Options

No-one is saying it wont be carnage, I have to drive through Greenwich everyday to get to work - right next to the main Olympic site. I know I wont be able to get to work those weeks. I have known this for at least a year and will therefore make plans to work from other offices and from home while the games are one.

And I will enjoy the events I have tickets for.

Why have Londoners got to be so down on everything?

• Options

Not everyone has the option of working in other offices DRF, some of us have to attempt to carry on as normal. Personally I am looking forward to the Olympics, but I do find it extremely annoying, having paid for them with my council tax, that there seems to be a lack of regard for Londoners who have to continue going about their normal business. They've even urged people to try and avoid using public transport at peak times - bit of a cheek considering I've already paid (way over the odds) for the privilege of using it. 

Mind you, I went to the Woman's Beach Volleyball Test Event at Horseguard's Parade a few weeks back - I'd probably be a bit more tolerant if they'd arranged to have that in Greenwich Park!

• Options
    Because it doesn't specifically suit you, it shouldn't go ahead? I agree that it is terrible that even though you are a council tax payer and have already paid for public transport, Lord Coe has not popped round to see what he can do to make the two weeks a little better for you.
  • Options
    Sounds like its going to be great for you DRF.  I'd love to be able to work from home but thats not possible.

Anyway, thanks to our local rail users group we will have a normal service on
    our line.  The stupid feckers at southeastern were going to cut the
    service - on the line that has how many olympic events?  3?  Inspector
    Sands can explain it better.

• Options
    Because it doesn't specifically suit you, it shouldn't go ahead? I agree that it is terrible that even though you are a council tax payer and have already paid for public transport, Lord Coe has not popped round to see what he can do to make the two weeks a little better for you.
    I dont think thats what he is saying.  Why are you always so harsh ?
  • Options
    Thank you Curb_It. Correct, that is clearly not what I was saying at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Because this should be a positive thing. If someone were so negative about Charlton because of personal cicumstances everyone else would be the same.

The olympics will be made or broken by Londoners. Lets get behind the boys (and girls) and make some noise. Ignore the Boo boys.

And I haven't said that it will be great for me. I have simply said that with at two years (plus) notice I will find a way round it. For me this means working out of a different office. For others it might mean taking a holiday. For yet more it might mean leaving home earlier and getting home later. But just wishing it would all go away and complaining about it all simply isn't the answer.

• Options

my feelings are somewhere in the middle. I am excited about it being here, but I honestly think that our travel infrastructure will crumble before the opening ceremony.

They can't physically get trains to run on time with full carriages on a normal day so how can they do it when there are so many more people using them. they can't increase the number of trains as it just wont work with the timetables (I'm sure someone on this site can verify that after studying it closely) and then there are hotels and flights that will creak under the pressure of the sheer volume of people.

I think potentially London could make a lot of money from the event, but have an incling that despite them wishing to want to part with their money they won't be able to as they'll be stuck on a runway for hours or stuck in a tunnel! slightly tongue in cheek I know, but I really fear that people will miss out due to the travel issues. stations will be closed due to overcrowding, illness on trains due to heat, wrong kind of weather, ash cloud etc etc....

• Options

Not exactly personal circumstances - there's nearly 8 million people who live in London, many of whom don't have the option of altering their work premises or their working hours - still we can all go on holiday so that's fine.

At no point have I implied that I wished it would all go away, I just said that I thought more consideration should be paid to the people who actually live in London and have been obliged to provide funding for the Olympics. If you think that's an unreasonable attitude then fine - I don't have the time to argue with you as I urgently need to get on the Thomas Cook website.

• Options
    edited October 2011

just realised thats a very negative sounding post, and I try not to be, but for every positive I think of sadly i am reminded of a negative too :-(

I agree with you MrLargo.

• Options
    I have a question:  I was planning to stay with my step Mum in Eltham (Well Hall Rd) and travel from there to events at the Olympic Park, thinking bus to Woolwich then DLR/Jubilee Line to Stratford.  Is that going to be impossible, then??
  • Options
    Positive my ARSE.

yes if we didnt live in an area where the tinyest disruption to either blackheath -- greenwich  or the Blackwall tunnel didnt mean total gridlock for naffing hours. Where you cant get to a station as the buses (that are running) cant move because all the side roads are jammed. Of course we could walk--- and watch as the  Top Tossers get fleeted  through as we trudge to and from what ever stations might be open.

add in the half of shootershill rd being closed and the shooting events in Woolwich  and  welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lets all keep shtum as people living in some leafy twilight world where none of this matters ------------- want us to be positive.

Its going to be total bedlum outside of the the events  and locals are going to be totaly pissed off--------------- when its all over LOCOG , The Mayor (who ever it will be) etc etc etc will say how sorry they are  and and drift off into the mist.
  • Options
    No I dont think so Weegie, surely that should be very doable.

Or you could rent my flat out for 1,000 per week.  Bargain.

• Options
    No I dont think so Weegie, surely that should be very doable.

Or you could rent my flat out for 1,000 per week.  Bargain.

Nah - sorry, will just sponge off my 80 year old Step Mum!!  We'll take her out for lunch at a Harvester or something ;-)
  • Options
    Did anybody go out driving last Sunday lunchtime ?

The Diwali celebrations in Trafalgar Square cause gridlock in South London as people tried to drive there !

Get you tickets for the Olympics now !

(Best tickets to get are to Florida, Spain and Dubai) 
  • Options
    For a month of disruption you would think that it was forever, I am going to he working my knackard off during it, spending hrs stuck in traffic,

The chance to witness arguably the greatest sporting event on your doorstep is not to be sniffed at, after around a month we will all go back to shit train services , and hrs and hrs of shit rush hour traffic,

Yes it will be bad , but it aint exactly good right now is it,

I sat on the m25 for 3 hrs last week to do 6 miles, I sat for 2hrs on the cromwell road last Thursday night grim at 7pm ,

I read chirpy this morning having the ache with the railways ,

Traffic is shite , railways are shite but for a month we will finally have an excuse worth listening too