Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Bartram - sport shop

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
I'm sure that it is in the book and someone knows, but where was Sams sports shop was in Charlton?  I vaguely remember seeing something, somewhere about a shop on Floyd Rd where the mural is.
What was it like and what happened to it, if that little shop (thats new bricked up) where the mural is wasn't Sams sports shop, any ideas what it was?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    From this image, I'd say it was the shop on the end:

• Options
    Yeah, have to admit - I always thought it was the one on the end myself. That picture proves it really - unless he moved next door and had both!
  • Options
    By the way, where's Dowie in that picture? And which way is the dual carriageway?
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for posting the pic, I think that's the one I saw in the past.
    Looks like they knocked the front of the shop down, anyone old enough to remember when it shut?
  • Options

Thanks for posting the pic, I think that's the one I saw in the past.
    Looks like they knocked the front of the shop down, anyone old enough to remember when it shut?

I am pretty sure it was still open when I started in 1959. I believe he continued to own it after he left in 1956 and that it closed iaround 1960. He doesn't talk about it in his book.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

The shop was definitely still there in the early 1960's, but was closed down around that time.  Before seeing the picture, I would have placed the shop a bit to the right.  So, not on the end, but between the end and where the Ocean Fish Bar is now, but I'll bow to photographic evidence ... unless Sam moved it next door at some stage.  The other explanation, as Off_it says, is that Sam expanded into two side-by-side shops.  I do notice from the picture that he seems to have moved into stationery etc, not just sports good.

We've got to have a go at identifying some of the players in that picture.

I'll get the ball rolling with Benny Fenton and Jack Shreeve at the front, and it could be Jimmy Trotter with the tracksuit bottoms.

Where's my old man when you need him?

• Options
    edited October 2011

Billy Kiernan in the white shorts and shirt....Gordon Jago in centre, right at the back (just to the left of Kiernan as you look at the picture)....and I 'think' that's Stuart Leary extreme right at the back.

I actually bought one or two things in the shop, though for the life of me I can't really remember what.

Oh yes.....Eddie Firmani...that's his face between the shoulders of the two near the front.

• Options

Oh yes.....Eddie Firmani...that's his face between the shoulders of the two near the front.

Yes, great spot for Firmani. Much younger than I remember him so we should be able to date the picture. I think you're right about Leary too ... his hairline had receded a lot more when I first watched him play.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

at the game for a £5 as i walked down floyd road i heard some old boy telling i assume his grandson "last time i was here that was a sports shop"

I wondered what he was going on about at the time, took him a long time to come back to watch us!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    That photo can't be right, there is no dog shit on the street ! lol
  • Options
    Looks like they've built a house next door to Sam's shop
    If you look at google maps street view the shop is still there but is no longer on the end!

• Options
    Looks like they've built a house next door to Sam's shop
    If you look at google maps street view the shop is still there but is no longer on the end!

That makes more sense.  As I said in an earlier post, I remember the shop being part of the terrace, not on the end.
  • Options
    Nah, look at the way the curb drops away in both pictures - looks like it was definitely at the end. Presumably at some point it was converted into a house, rather than a house being built on the end.

Surely one of the old f**kers more mature postures on here must remember!
  • Options

I seem to remember it being on the end but that another property was built alongside it some years later, can't be sure but will take a longer and more considered look at it tomorrow when I go past.

Wish I had a £ for every time I've walked past that very spot over the years.

• Options
    Nah, look at the way the curb drops away in both pictures - looks like it was definitely at the end. Presumably at some point it was converted into a house, rather than a house being built on the end.

Surely one of the old f**kers more mature postures on here must remember!
    Off_it is right. (don't let it go to your head....)  Look at the first floor windows in the pic and on streetview: bay on the right; single on the left.  Shop must have been converted at some point
  • Options
    Good spot Cat.
  • Options
    Friday morning and I'm bored at work.....
  • Options
    Anyone near a library in the borough (if they haven't all been shut yet)?  They're bound have an old Kelly's Directory in the local history section that will give the address.
  • Options
    Seem to remember the end shop was a football programme shop in the late sixties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about the bits down the sides of the shopfront? (The white half circle bits on top)
    Would all the shops have had them?
    I dont think the road slopes as much in the old pic as it does in the new one!
  • Options
    I reckon they all had them - it's just that the bit on the far left got demolished from the "old" pic when they converted it into a house, which is set back a bit so they have demolished part of the wall on the far left to let the light in.

I reckon Cat's window analysis is the clincher!

• Options
    Doh!  I've just moved the google image and you're right off it, all the shops have them!
  • Options
    CSI Cat Addick!
  • Options
    And the step is there in front of the shop on both pics!
  • Options
    And for my next case I shall tackle the Mystery of the Lack of Points from the last couple of games together with my trusted assistant, Miss d'Opportunity
  • Options
    CatAddick, who shot Kennedy?
  • Options
    JFK or Bobby?
  • Options
    JFK. We all know who shot Bobby Ewing man!
    ;o)
  • Options
    It is widely belived that Lee Harvey Oswald fired the fatal shot. But, I can reveal it was in fact Lee Harvey Gardens who, while cleaning his hunting rifle in Greenwich Library accidently discharged his weapon when he was hit by a mis-cued shot from Leeeeeaburn that had gone through a wormhole in space; the bullet travelling through the same wormhole back to 1963 where it fatally wounded the president.