Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Hughes

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
"Dead wood" apparently. "Not good enough" apparently. "Powell hasn't got a clue" by signing him apparently.

Well, he was my MotM today. He's not had a regular game all season and caught a painful one on the shin in the very first minute. But he got up, got stuck in and kept the engine ticking over in that first half, playing the simple ball and knitting the team together. And then there was the quick free kick he took and played a 50 yard crossfield pass out to the wing to set up the first goal. And the time when he popped up in the right wing position and played over a cracking cross that BWP nearly got on the end of. Or the time when Wiggins charged forward, we lost the ball but there he was mopping up in the left back position.

He's never going to be our greatest ever signing, but I am greatly encouraged knowing that we have him there ready to step in when needed. Some people seem too ready to slag off our own. 

But hey, but what do I know?

Comments

• Options
    Never seen him play before today so never commented on him but I agree with everything you say bar him being Motm. Had Wiggins down for that.
  • Options

Agree other than like SE10 I had Wiggins as MOTM.

That's why you have vetrens like him and Euell around.  With a young squad it's invaluable

• Options
    Have to agree, great display. Wasn't over the moon to see him in the starting XI before the game, but was delighted to be proved massively wrong. First half he and Hollands both did a great job of making tackles and interceptions, then getting it our wide players as quickly as possible. A relatively simple job, but a crucial one never the less.

It greats to know he's another player we can rely on if called upon.
  • Options
    His dexterity is a huge plus as well.
  • Options
    Did better than expected. Was fearful after his utter nightmare against Brentford.

Nowhere near MOTM.

Wiggins by a mile.
  • Options
    It's an OPINION Clem_Snide. If you don't like it, tough titties!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Shrewd move by Powelly. Midfield needed beefing up.What now for Stephens?
  • Options
    Powell has a decision to make.

Suspect Stephens will be back at Wycombe.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2011
    Shrewd move by Powelly. Midfield needed beefing up.What now for Stephens?
    Some sleepless nights with his missus given birth !

• Options
    Good to see Andy Hughes step up as the midfield needs some back up with Pritchard injured and Alonso off the pace, some back up is needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He had a great game today. He never stopped running and was only just pipped by Wiggins as my man of the match. Stephens might struggle to get his place back if he continues playing like that.
  • Options
    Hughes started badly, but soon settled and had a very good game. Good to see what the Leeds fans were raving about...he gave 100%.
  • Options
    Hughes started badly, 
    What, when he got kicked in the shin after 50 seconds? I guess that's a bad start, but not exactly his fault!

• Options
    Good to hear, two battlers and two wide players v different but both capable of unlocking defences.  To have two cm's that can get a foot in, and pass is a dream that I've not had for seven odd years.
  • Options
    Hughes started badly, 
    What, when he got kicked in the shin after 50 seconds? I guess that's a bad start, but not exactly his fault!

No not that obviously! Daft comment to make fella.

He gave the ball away on his first couple of possessions...FACT!
  • Options
    No he didn't. His first possession resulted in him getting clobbered. Now that's an indisputable FACT!
  • Options
    Hughes started badly, 

he did give away 2 free kicks in the first 90 secs, but did improve, is he the new kishishev?
  • Options
    This might be a bit reactionary, but with a good & combative performance (and a hand in 2 of the 4 goals today) perhaps he should start on Tuesday. Stephens' form hasn't been the greatest, he has a new born - give him a two-match break (today included) and utilize Hughes' experience and grit for what won't be an easy fixture away from home.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Yes, I was there. The first time he got possession - after about 50 seconds - was just in front of the home dugout. He touched it past their player and caught one smack on the shin. He then spent the next minute either on the floor getting treatment or on the side waiting to come back on.

Any bells ringing now? Or weren't you there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options

Hughes gave away a foul before he was clipped and again just after.

Just shows how involved he was.

Off-it and Arry, we won, let's just enjoy that and forget the nastiness

• Options
    Haha, was wondering what to do for the next hour or so before heading out.  Have a beer in hand and this is very entertaining...please continue...but not much point in putting a * in the middle of a swear word as i think most people on this site will see through it!
  • Options
    What's the point arguing?

Hughes played well today - that's all that matters. Whether or not he was MOTM is neither here nor there.
  • Options
    Who's being nasty?

I'm not the one telling people to "fuck off" am I?

• Options
    Helmet fans.
  • Options
    Hughes was good.

Wiggins was absolutely outstanding.
  • Options
    Gotta hold me hands up when i see him on the team sheet was not happy but played well. Wiggins MOM by a long way.
  • Options
    Hughes had a decent game. Centre halves are outstanding IMO. Wiggins was MOTM. Good o see Solly back. Hollands decent too. Kermy and BWP a handful. Very happy.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
     Very happy.
    Blimey, Red Letter Day.

All we need now is for Golfie to come on here proper chirpy.

;o)