Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Hughes

Comments

• Options
    The new kish
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    If my memory serves that's exactly what the Leeds fans told us what we could expect of Hughes. Seems that that type of performance and effort are his stock in trade.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm just being contrary but I still don't think Hughes is likely to be a starting player for very long. Admittedly he did very well today but it seems everyone did. When we need someone to pull a rabbit out of a hat and he is the man who does it, then I'll be sold on him. He's got a part to play but I hope it's a small one.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Also wasn't too excited to see him start after his showing at the Brentford and then proved me wrong. Well done Hughes. Even took one full in the face from Taylor ( i think ) just after the restart to show he is a proper charlton player! Impressed by his composure on the ball on the floor and in the air.
  • Options
    Isn't this what we have been crying out for ? When a player is replaced a squad man comes in and does a more than adequate job ?

Well done Andy
  • Options
    Wiggins was MOTM but Hughes wasn't far off- will keep his place after that performance.
  • Options

He played well.

Means we've got another option in centre midfield.

Good call by CP.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    "Dead wood" apparently. "Not good enough" apparently. "Powell hasn't got a clue" by signing him apparently.

Well, he was my MotM today.Some people seem too ready to slag off our own. 

But hey, but what do I know?
    Not a huge amount on that showing!

He played well, and as HI noted, that's what he's here to do and  when first choices drop out it's good to be able to call on such experience.

Despite his all-round exellence, I'm surprised to hear he was anyone's MOTM, but we all see the game through different eyes.  Which is as it should be.

But you can't help thinking that the laddle-it-on-with-a-trowel sarcasm  ("Dead wood" apparently. "Not good enough" apparently. "Powell hasn't got a clue" by signing him apparently) suggests a  post of a troll more concerned with attacking his fellow fans than heaping  praise on the player?

Otherwise you'd simply post your quite justifiable praise where it belongs in the post-match thread, rather than starting a 'look-at-me-I'm-calling-you-out' thread, wouldn't you?

Rather a sad way to celebrate a 4-0 win. And I say that as someone who has never uttered a word against Andy Hughes.

Football is a tough game. However well  AH played, he  won't be starting next week, when the  proud father returns.

But that again is exactly how it should be and , as AFKA suggests, is why we need a squad as well as a team.

• Options
    ?

Mental
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did a good job, tidied up in midfield, keep it simple with his passing and even made a well timed "third man run" in the second half. Should keep his place for the Wycombe game on merit.
    An example of players eventually getting their opportunity, without tinkering with a winning team un-neccesarily. Injuries, suspensions, illness and in this case a domestic, will give squad players the chance.
  • Options
    ?

Mental

I'm sure you are right. I wouldn't want to argue with such a  characteristically ''considered'' response...

Well done, Andy Hughes. He played very well today and reminded us that it is going to take 17-18   decent players, rather than 11, to win this league .
  • Options
    And that's my point exactly. To some he shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone on the bench.

Today he proved that he is a good man to have around in the squad and can be relied upon to come in and do a steady enough job when needed. Which is what I said in my original post. 

Glad we agree.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    And that's my point exactly. To some he shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone on the bench.

Today he proved that he is a good man to have around in the squad and can be relied upon to come in and do a steady enough job when needed. Which is what I said in my original post. 

Glad we agree.
    Indeed. There is no disagreement on that - other than  that I didn't like your insistence on opening the thread not with praise of Andy Hughes, but with  derision for those who had apparently dared to diagree with you (and me) about the value he adds to the squad. 

Time to live and let live.
  • Options
    Wasn't that a Wings song?
  • Options
    I thought he was excellent.
  • Options
    Whose signed in as NSS????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    I was worried when I heard he was starting but he proved me wrong. He's learnt to pass and worked his socks off for the full 90 minutes. He even got into their box a couple of times - well played Hughes. 
  • Options
    Whose signed in as NSS????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    LOL, we needed that result today, but I thought Carlisle contributed with their willingness to try and play football.
  • Options
    Like others, after the Brentford performance, I was worried today.  Hughes played a blinder though.  More than happy to have been wrong about him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was worried when I heard he was starting but he proved me wrong. He's learnt to pass and worked his socks off for the full 90 minutes. He even got into their box a couple of times - well played Hughes. 
    My thoughts exactly , looked top drawer , after he took an early whack i didn't think he would come back from that.
  • Options
    Agreed with the first post. He was my MOM as well today. Thought he was excellent from the very beginning
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    He didn't play one difficult pass- he worked his socks off, kept it simple and gave us a pressense from midfield. Stephens has been brilliant but I have seen him go off the boil a bit of late which has effected us, Hughes has shown there is a less creative but possibly more reliable option. Also Stephens will respond to the real competition he provides -different players but midfiled looks like it has some options.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    he chases shadows .. a yard off the pace
    this seasons Kishishev in his final season
    a poor poor poor poor poor poor mans Danny Hollands

Hope to have my opinion of him change though
  • Options
    He didn't play one difficult pass- he worked his socks off, kept it simple and gave us a pressense from midfield. Stephens has been brilliant but I have seen him go off the boil a bit of late which has effected us, Hughes has shown there is a less creative but possibly more reliable option. Also Stephens will respond to the real competition he provides -different players but midfiled looks like it has some options.
    His quick free kick out to Wiggy for the 1st was far from easy.
  • Options

I hope i'm wrong but i reckon...

1. Hudders

2. Charlton/Sheff Wed

3. Charlton/Sheff Wed

4. Preston

5. Sheff Utd

6. Notts County/MK Dongs

I just hope we get auto's as i dont like the look of thos play offs

• Options
    He was poor against Reading and Brentford, stepped up a gear yesterday, he was immense very close to mom but Wiggins shaded it. He has to start on Tuesday.
  • Options
    I wasn't deriding him when I said he kept it simple- I was praising him.
  • Options

Apart from the most difficult & best one of the game, approximately 50 yards across the pitch.

Anyway, he was excellent which I was expecting when we signed him, but wasn't after his cup performances.

Very well played Andy (and all the squad).

• Options

I too was a tad concerned when heard he was playing but felt he grew in confidence as the match progressed and gave a good overall performance.

Well done him.