Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who did you think was going to be a rubbish signing and now its humble pie time?

*holds hands up* I thought Wiggins was over rated and in our first few games felt justified. I am full of poo as he is getting better and better and will most likely play for Wales soon too.

Anyone else realised why they arent a football manager?!

Comments

• BWP - thought he'd be trouble and mostly injured.
  • Kermorgant.
  • I thought Hollands would be playing second fiddle to Alonso. What do I know? :-)
  • Eddie Firmani
  • edited October 2011
    I can't remember ever thinking a signing was going to be rubbish that turned out good. That's the optimist in me, not a case of fantastic judgment.

Case and point: I thought Jesper Blomqvist was going to be a great signing.
  • thought Di Canio was gonna be passed it and have an attitude problem.

How wrong was I?
  • I thought Matt Taylor would be a weak link....he has been pretty solid so far though. 
  • Hayes.. oh wait..
  • Hughes but he done well yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• either kermit or hollands, but both so far have turned out to be quality
  • I remember seeing Johnny Robinson's first few  games and thinking that he was appalling and would never make the grade at Charlton and would be given a free transfer.....which he was after 300 games, two promotions and a couple of POTY awards!
  • I thought Morrison would be a let-down - Wednesday were awful last year and many of that lot had no time for him. I've now come to the conclusion that Wednesday fans, regardless of how many there are, haven't a clue when it comes to evaluating talent.
  • Kermit.

Also had a bad feeling that Wright Phillips would struggle this season and end up with about 10 goals. Glad I was wrong.

• Hughes - but one game is only a slight nibble of humble pie but a more generous helping is reserved for morrison although claims that he can play right back may not be as true, as suggested, after the stevange horror show he produced
  • Ormiston...You're right, John Robinson was rubbish for most of his first season with us. He was really lightweight but he was replacing Robert Lee so maybe we were expecting far too much of him. He only cost us £75k so it was amazing to think that he became such an important member of the club. 

Luke Young was one that surprised me a bit. He looked like a centre back playing at right back for a number of his first games but he stuck at it and was excellent for us.
  • On Kermit I said:

'Don't think i've ever been so unimpressed with a signing since we signed non-league Darlington's low scoring fifth choice striker.

So he will probably turn out a genius.'
  • Kermit was a real bit of inspiration on Powell's part. Johnny Robinson definitely - I remember thinking - how can this bloke replace Lee? - but he bacame a Charlton legend and symbolised everything good about the club in the successful Curbs era. Shows that you need to give a player more than a couple of games - as Hughes showed on Saturday.
  • I thought Pritchard was going to be another Fleetwood/Sinclair job. It's early days yet but he has certainly shown he's got ability. Other than that I've been happy with most every signing this year. I was surprised by how good Dailly was for us in his first season
  • Andy Hughes has now shown us what he is capable of. He needs to maintain those standards. Humble pie...great band from the 70's
  • Sponsored links:

• Given up re "who is good enough for us "  when Curbs was looking at Kevin Philips and Zamora i thought one was passed it and the other would never be good enough. Then when  Curbs left and Mick Macarthy was supposed to be intrested ---no way would that guy be good enough !!
  • 2 players for me - Diawara was shocking to start with but was a good player when he left us !! and the other was Andy Hunt who got better with more games !
  • Lol Diawarra = 50p head

Didn't think any of the signings were poor very pleased with squad SCP has assembled
  • Chris Perry
    Deon Burton
    Christian Dailly
    Gary Borrowdale

• Deon Burton's a great shout - I was furious when we signed the non-scoring, lower division journeyman, and gutted when he left.
  • Wasn't too sure about Stephens. I thought he was going to be average at best. I was wrong. When we have turned up, he has turned up and is top class. Not our best signing though. Sill quality.
  • I thought Morrison would be a let-down - Wednesday were awful last year and many of that lot had no time for him. I've now come to the conclusion that Wednesday fans, regardless of how many there are, haven't a clue when it comes to evaluating talent.
    He was poor for us, our opinions were based on what we saw, same as yours are, pleased the lad is doing well for you though.
  • I must be a "glass half full" person because I can't remember ever being so negative about a player who was about to join us. I must say though, when we tumbled down the leagues most of the players we've bought I'd never heard of before.
  • Thought that Nicky Weaver might be a disaster. Not so, and he also turned out to be a nice fellow.

PS. If you turn this thread around, please put me down for Dennis Rommedahl.

• Historically, Sweaty Balmer had a terrible start but went on to be a mainstay for years.

Of the current crop I thought BWP would be more trouble than he was worth but has been as good as gold on & off the pitch.