Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who did you think was going to be a rubbish signing and now its humble pie time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stephens. Saw him preseason at Welling and thought he was going to be a headless chicken type.

Gosh, this pie is good!
  • Options
    Didn't Tom Hovey have a terrible first game? And then went on to      .........    never play for us again? Or am I thinking of someone else?
  • Options
    Hughes, Kermogant.
  • Options
    Although Chris Solly isn't strictly a signing, having seen him a few times last season I never thought he was going to be the player he is today.  I get the feeling Arsenal could have picked the wrong right back when they took Jenkinson instead of Solly (although I say this in praise of Solly rather than detract from Jenkinson)
  • Options

Jason Euell - first half dozen games were woeful.

My mate shouted at him from South Stand as he dribbled the ball out for a goal kick - 'you are not good enough to wear white boots' He was back in black boots a couple of games later and became a massive player for us.

• Options
    graham stuart - thought he was just a journeyman pro but was a top top player for us - very under estimated.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Alan Curbishley (as a manager). At the time, I thought Gritty was a much better bet!

Then I read Gary Nelson's book and realised that Gritty is slightly bonkers. (In the most loveable and endearing way, I hasten to add!)
  • Options
    I thought that bwp was going to be trouble too, injury prone and nicking people's pocket watches etc. But I don't know what on earth we would do without him now
  • Options
    When we were at West Ham Garry Nelson seemed to miss loads of 'sitters' and I used to wish he wasn't in the team but went on to be a very solid player for us.
    Of the current team, like MortimerwasGod says, Wiggins lacked confidence at first and I wondered if he was over-rated. Now he is our star.
  • Options
    Lawrie Madden and Mark Aizelwood (late '70s and early/mid '80s respectiveley). I wasn't alone in thinking they weren't for us and they both took a good deal of stick from the crowd. But both of them got their heads down and worked at their game and became respected members of the teams they played in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any of them to be honest.
  • Options
    I really felt Ok with every one of SCP's signings. didnt know much about some of them but they felt 'right' whereas most of Dowie's for example and a lot of Pardew's felt dead wrong. 

When I saw them live for the first time this season against Sheff wed, I though Wiggins looked the weakest of the newbies, but having watched the Carlisle highlights - bloody hell, he's a player.
  • Options
    Nicky Bailey
  • Options

BWP, Luke Young, Deon Burton, Kermogant.

• Options
    I'd seen Graham Stuart play for Sheff Utd and thought he was well past it, think I labelled him a Dinosaur online somewhere when we signed him. Naturally he turned out to be one of Curbs best signings - Andy Todd was another one I had doubts about, he was great for us until he set about Deano in training.

At least Djimi Traore was a self fulfilling prophecy :-)
  • Options

When we were at West Ham Garry Nelson seemed to miss loads of 'sitters' and I used to wish he wasn't in the team 

My Hero Nelse how very dare you even think like that  ;-)

• Options
    Mike Flanagan was pretty pony when he first joined us. After a couple of dozen games he just started getting better, and as they say the rest is history
  • Options
    Oh triple shame and ignominy. I didn't want BWP.
  • Options

After watching this i thought great, another striker who is incapable of putting the ball in the back of the net.  

http://youtu.be/Iad3gV-9C1U

• Options
    Kermorgant, was so unimpressed, but he has done the business so far
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must say, wasn't particularly impressed by Kermorgant's siding but I trusted SCP genius. And right I was to do so too! Other than that, i've barely worried about any of the signings. I feel this is the best built Charlton side i have ever seen (Remember im only 18 and have a terrible memory :P )
  • Options
    Alan Curbishley (as a manager). At the time, I thought Gritty was a much better bet!

I think a lot of people thought that.  Maybe because he didn''t come across so well in public, "His name is Alan Curbishley, he's got no personality"
  • Options

Darren Bent, went to the Welling friendly in 2005 with a West Ham fan who had seen Bent in the play offs at Ipswich, he said Bent was lazy and unimpressive. Bent missed a couple of chances at Welling and stupidly I believed him.

Very happy to be proved wrong.

• Options
    Matt Holland - I just thought that there was no way that Mr Ipswich would do it for us. I rated him but I thought he was coming to us just to get back into the Prem. How wrong was I - an absolute pro for us.
  • Options
    Darren Bent: Didn't think he could make the step up to the premiership. Turned out to be the best player I've seen play for Charlton.

Nicky Bailey: Thought he was very average. By the end of his time here, absolutely loved him and I'm shocked he's not ripped up the Championship.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Harry Cripps. Old, slow, a Millwall legend, injuries catching up with him, what possible use could he be to us? Well, his inspirational handful of appearances and goals made promotion back to the second division in '74/'75 not only possible but certain in that great last game of the season v. Preston. Sorry I ever doubted you, 'Arry.
  • Options
    If we are going back a long way - Terry Naylor and Don McAllister turned out to be a lot better than I expected. Paul Miller too later down the line, keeping with the Totenham connection.
  • Options
    Matt Holland - I just thought that there was no way that Mr Ipswich would do it for us. I rated him but I thought he was coming to us just to get back into the Prem. How wrong was I - an absolute pro for us.
    Yes, I would agree with that.....