Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sven-Goran Eriksson

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe he keeps getting employed! No idea who will join them, I don't think O'Neil will.
  • Options
    I think, by now, Curbs has forgotten everything he ever knew about football management.
  • Options
    This could be a good opportunity for us.  Whoever comes in is bound to have his favourites and his not-so-favourites from Sven's squad.  CP might be able to pick up a bargain or two in the transfer window.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Forget the England job which is a posion chalice anyway.

Erikson has won a shed load of trophies at Club level including a Scudetto with Lazio.  He's taken teams to all three major european finals winning the CWC and the UEFA.  He only lost the European Cup final to the great Milan side.

That's why he gets these jobs

• Options
    This could be a good opportunity for us.  Whoever comes in is bound to have his favourites and his not-so-favourites from Sven's squad.  CP might be able to pick up a bargain or two in the transfer window.
    YES!
  • Options
    edited October 2011

''Forget the England job which is a posion chalice anyway. Erikson has won a shed load of trophies at Club level including a Scudetto with Lazio.  He's taken teams to all three major european finals winning the CWC and the UEFA.  He only lost the European Cup final to the great Milan side.'

That's why he gets these jobs''

So basically he ''gets these jobs'' becaue he hasn't won anything for 11 years ??????

• Options

Regardless he's won things as a club manager.  17 major trophies and a European cup final

Whether that makes him a good manager for the likes of Leicester is another question but he has a better record than most especially as many of the past 11 years he's not been managing a club side

• Options
    Fair point, Henry. But perhaps he's reached that Ron Atkinson point of passing his sell-by date?

You can survive on past glories for only so long. There comes a point a decade on when people say 'well that was then and this is now'...

• Options
    Fair point, Henry. But perhaps he's reached that Ron Atkinson point of passing his sell-by date?

You can survive on past glories for only so long. There comes a point a decade on when people say 'well that was then and this is now'...

But harsh on Curbs IMHO but each to their own 

: - )

• Options

''Forget the England job which is a posion chalice anyway. Erikson has won a shed load of trophies at Club level including a Scudetto with Lazio.  He's taken teams to all three major european finals winning the CWC and the UEFA.  He only lost the European Cup final to the great Milan side.'

That's why he gets these jobs''

So basically he ''gets these jobs'' becaue he hasn't won anything for 11 years ??????

To be fair, for 8 of those he was manager of England where he made the quarter final of both the cups he entered, and when you consider that England have only gone further than that twice since 1966 it's hardly a shocking failure. I think he's a decent manager, he might be a bit past his best and he might be a little more focused on the money than the game itself, but so are most of those in the sport these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs would love this job i reckon and it would be great if he got it as it would only help CP pick off any cast offs. I'm sure somebody is lined up however and reckon it will be O'Neill. Still could be a good opportunity for CP to pick up a few players.
  • Options

Curbs fked himself over when he said he'd only take a job in the Premiership. Somehow I don't think he will get a job in management again. Maybe as a backroom guy but not first team manager.

• Options
    I think hedone himself when he sued West Ham
  • Options
    they are going to go for a big name in my opinion. I don't know who but I wouldn't think it will be O'Neill.
  • Options
    they are going to go for a big name in my opinion. I don't know who but I wouldn't think it will be O'Neill.

I wonder if Mark Hughes would go down to the Championship? Can't see many job openings in the Premiership at the moment, although Hughes might be waiting to see how things turn out for McLeish at Villa.

Seriously though, how many decent job openings are there in the Premiership for a British manager?

Man City - No chance of a British manager.

Man Utd - No chance of a British manager.

Chelsea - No chance of a British manager.

Arsenal - No chance of a British manager.

Liverpool - Dalglish is about the only Brit who would get that job.

Newcastle - Very suspect owner who wants to sell.

Everton - Skint

Aston Villa - Competitive but financially outgunned

Swansea - In Wales.

Wolves - Financially outgunned.

West Brom - Maybe a Cup win at best.

Tottenham - Levy's done wonders but hard to get back in top four.

Bolton - Massive debts, on way down a la Charlton 2006/7.

Wigan - Only there courtesy of Whelan, joke club.

Norwich - Lovely club but never a big fish.

Stoke - Great times but for how long?

QPR - Limited room to grow.

Sunderland - Massive debts, on the slide.

Fulham - Only there thanks to MEF.

Blackburn - Farce of a club.

Looking at that lot you'd have to say that the best any young British manager can hope for is to succeed at a non CL club like Spurs or Villa and then maybe get a job at one of the big 5/6 clubs at the top end of the scale.

Even then its really tough, just look at how Man City outed Hughes in the way they did, unless you are top of the league then every foreign manager under the sun will get linked with your job and will probably end up getting it.

Very hard to see where the next 'great' British manager will come from after Fergie goes when the top 5/6 clubs will be permanently managed by foreigners. Who can really see Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or even (post Harry) Spurs employing a British manager?

• Options
    Well I never, Nancy has outlasted Sven !
  • Options
    The Leicester owners must be mad to get rid of Sven. There's no patience in football these days. Powell would be mad to consider the job theere, unless he wants the ignomy of being sacked in less than a year - is it worth it just to make a few bob and, as has been said above, he's already in his dream job.
  • Options

Thai owners with more money than sense and delusions of grandeur therefore equals....

Beckham --- Player/Manager

• Options

I wonder if Mark Hughes would go down to the Championship? Can't see many job openings in the Premiership at the moment, although Hughes might be waiting to see how things turn out for McLeish at Villa.

Seriously though, how many decent job openings are there in the Premiership for a British manager?

Man City - No chance of a British manager.

Man Utd - No chance of a British manager.

Chelsea - No chance of a British manager.

Arsenal - No chance of a British manager.

Liverpool - Dalglish is about the only Brit who would get that job.

Newcastle - Very suspect owner who wants to sell.

Everton - Skint

Aston Villa - Competitive but financially outgunned

Swansea - In Wales.

Wolves - Financially outgunned.

West Brom - Maybe a Cup win at best.

Tottenham - Levy's done wonders but hard to get back in top four.

Bolton - Massive debts, on way down a la Charlton 2006/7.

Wigan - Only there courtesy of Whelan, joke club.

Norwich - Lovely club but never a big fish.

Stoke - Great times but for how long?

QPR - Limited room to grow.

Sunderland - Massive debts, on the slide.

Fulham - Only there thanks to MEF.

Blackburn - Farce of a club.

Looking at that lot you'd have to say that the best any young British manager can hope for is to succeed at a non CL club like Spurs or Villa and then maybe get a job at one of the big 5/6 clubs at the top end of the scale.

Even then its really tough, just look at how Man City outed Hughes in the way they did, unless you are top of the league then every foreign manager under the sun will get linked with your job and will probably end up getting it.

Very hard to see where the next 'great' British manager will come from after Fergie goes when the top 5/6 clubs will be permanently managed by foreigners. Who can really see Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or even (post Harry) Spurs employing a British manager?

As the Premier League clubs are the richest in the world they can pick whom ever they want. If a British manager wants a top job he will have to prove himself abroad like Hodgson did, or McClaren, for that matter.

Clearly none of the foreign managers over here have a problem working abroad, so maybe some of the British managers should do the same, rather than just complaining about "All those foreigners taking our jobs".

This wasn't a criticism aimed at you Ormiston, but all the time these managers would rather stay in the Championship on a couple of hundred thousand pounds a year than going out there to take a job that will enhance their careers they can hardly complain.

Interestingly the same applies to most players. They would prefer to play in the Championship on £5k a week than to go abroad to improve their football education and increase their chances of playing for a top club.
  • Options
    On the way back last night they had a interview with Lee Clark and they
    asked him about being linked with the Leicester job, he basically gave a
    long answer where he never really ruled himself out of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way SCP would take it - he is here for the long term. Don't think Lee Clark would either.
  • Options
    Cmon curbs put your foot out for this one leicster are potentially a big club and have good history. With a transfer budget he could do something there.

He has to lower his standards, he should be back in managment.
  • Options
    Is the sort of job he has to take if he is serious about getting back into management. The only problem is that he has been out so long that clubs at Championship level won't necessarily have him at the top of their list.
  • Options
    It baffles me how sven goran eriksson keeps getting these jobs!!  He has been sacked from virtually every 1 & always walks away with a huge payout.  An average manager with a great agent in my opinion!!
    Like the Amdy Faye of managers.  Except with some success behind him.
  • Options
    On the way back last night they had a interview with Lee Clark and they asked him about being linked with the Leicester job, he basically gave a long answer where he never really ruled himself out of it.
    good hope he goes there. to be fair i wouldnt blame him. leicester could go prem soon. hudders will not go prem
  • Options
    Never been a great fan of Sven but as people have said- he has won things. Do think the sacking was premature though..
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=61783

As I said yesterday I thought it was a a strange interview which he gave and he never ruled himself out of it.
  • Options
    Lazio where the late ninties equivalent of Manchester City when he won things there... don't know if that takes away from his achievements, I think it does
  • Options
    Sven-Goran Eriksson: Former England manager says he has cancer and 'best case a year' to live