Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9 Games in - just how tedious will the Premier League be again this year?

Comments

• Options
    Another boring premiership game chelsea v arsenal
    Very tedious.
    on phone to sky to cancel.
  • Options
    Yeah, Chelsea conceding 5 at home, Man U conceding 6 at home, Arsenal conceding 8 away - all very boring and predictable. Happens all too often.

• Options
    I picked a great season to cancel Sky Sports
  • Options
    as i said the relegation battle is going to be of great interest this season, which one of them will we* be playing next season :)

*hopefully
  • Options
    I agree with everything OOHAHH said.
  • Options
    How can people slate the prem... What's the point of trying to get out this league then? Do you lot want to be in the champ forever then? I don't get it. The prem is great.
  • Options
    How can people slate the prem... What's the point of trying to get out this league then? Do you lot want to be in the champ forever then? I don't get it. The prem is great.
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    No, it is pretty crap, however football is about winning and being the best, not fun, so thats why everyone wants to get there.
  • Options

Pretty much! Wouldn't mind a season or two in the PL every decade or so but the Championship is where we belong. I don't fancy getting ruined by the likes of Man City/U, Liverpool and Arsenal with boring away draws at Wigan and Bolton. What I do fancy is tightly contested matches against teams like Cardiff, Leeds, Derby and Middlesborough. 
    Give me a good match of football with proper fans than the farce that is the PL any day. 
  • Options
    Well it was just an idea to put an alternative view that it isnt, if thats OK?
    Think of the worst league you have seen. Most people will say Scottish Premier.
    Why?
    2 team league.
    So, as you say, what is the point?
    We arent going to do any more than, at best, barge in on the clique six for a season or so.
    Why do you think that would be great? Competing in a league where the pitch is so slanted the best you could possibly manage is 6th?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very tedious.
    on phone to sky to cancel.
    Individual games can be exciting - no one is saying anything like that are they?
    There will be some cracking games between the top six.
    There will be some cracking games elsewhere in the division - though the massive week-long hype surrounding even the most mundane 0-0 borefest will still continue to try and delude the sky masses.
    As a LEAGUE its tedious.
    The majority of teams are aiming AT BEST for a single spot in a second rate European cup tournament, the majority of the rest are just desperately trying not to be tonked by the big boys and keep their noses in the trough.
  • Options

Pretty much! Wouldn't mind a season or two in the PL every decade or so but the Championship is where we belong. I don't fancy getting ruined by the likes of Man City/U, Liverpool and Arsenal with boring away draws at Wigan and Bolton. What I do fancy is tightly contested matches against teams like Cardiff, Leeds, Derby and Middlesborough. 
    Give me a good match of football with proper fans than the farce that is the PL any day. 
    Well put. At least everything is possible every season.
  • Options
    No, it is pretty crap, however football is about winning and being the best, not fun, so thats why everyone wants to get there.
    This makes no sense at all.
    Everyone wants to get to the Premier League to win it and be the best?
    Three teams have managed it in SIXTEEN years.

Teams want to get there for the money, TV exposure for Chairmen and agents to rub shoulders with the talent.
  • Options
    i'd say it's more competitive at the top end this year than it has been for a long time. There are many things wrong with the distribution of sky money but i think to claim that the premier league is not good or exciting to watch is stretching things. It was boring for us after a while because we couldn't go any further but to be fair, have we ever been able to compete at the very top? Not really.
    The point being made is more that the top 7 are utterly predictable. You seem to agree with that idea as you say it was boring that we had to play for survival, which is the same for every team outside the top 7. Which makes games much less exciting than they would be if everyone set out aiming and realistically capable of, being Champions.
    If you like that and find it a fascinating league because of it, then good for you.
    the point is, it has never been the case that 'everyone set out aiming and realistically capable of being champions'. The top 7 were always generally predictable with maybe 1 or 2 changing over a period of a few years. Not that much different really although i couldn't agree more that the champ league money has created an unfair elite but still not that different regarding realistic chances of winning the league. Could City or Spurs have realistically expected to win the league 5 years ago?
  • Options
    In the past decade only 5 clubs have finished in the top three in the Premiership.
    Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and which other single third placed club?

In the ten years before the Premiership there were 13 clubs apprearing in the same 30 available positions.

Which sounds like the more attractive league?
  • Options
    Dunno Floyd - which one is the more desperate and has the bigger tits?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Just being in the prem is better than being in the championship. So winners want to get to the prem.

Winning the prem is near impossible, so its about being better than as many other teams as u can.
  • Options

Just so I'm clear, when we're in the championship, there will be people on here who won't want us to win it?

So, if it looks like we might go up, they will be hoping we lose?

So we can play Cardiff?

????

• Options

Just so I'm clear, when we're in the championship, there will be people on here who won't want us to win it?

So, if it looks like we might go up, they will be hoping we lose?

So we can play Cardiff?

????

Be nice to win it, I just don't think the PL is the place for us. Its not sustainable. If all these "super' clubs can get into a f*ck tonne of debt what hope do we have? 
    The last fall from grace nearly killed this club, why is everyone so eager to get back there? 

And being better than other clubs? Why do you care? 
    I only care about Charlton being here, playing competitive football. In any league. 
  • Options
    Just being in the prem is better than being in the championship. So winners want to get to the prem.

Winning the prem is near impossible, so its about being better than as many other teams as u can.
    You havent explained why?
    Even the pundits on MOD said that by Christmas teams in the bottom 10 places will shut up shop and go all out for goalless draws.
    Oh great, I can hardly wait. Do you think this will happen in the Championship, or will teams go into all matches realistically expecting the chance of a win?
    The thread is about how tedious the PL has become.
    I would have thought the stats bear this out.
    FAR more variety before the PL - more attractive to more people, surely?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011

I would not mind the odd season in the Premiership but I just don't really fancy being a Wigan type side that hovers around the 40 point mark and gets perenially spanked by all of the big boys, ditto Fulham, WBA et al.

The truth is that its probably much more fun trying to get to the Premiership than it is once you are there, particularly past the first one or two seasons you are in there.

By the end of our Premiership tenure I barely took any notice of our games against the 'Big Four' because (apart from Liverpool at home) we seemed to always get a tonking, especially by Man Utd and Arsenal - and it would be even worse now that Man City and Spurs are mega clubs too.

• Options
    In the past decade only 5 clubs have finished in the top three in the Premiership.

Leeds
  • Options
    It is tedious, Im more than happy in championship. 

But thats not how the majority think, which is what im saying earlier. When we went down to the championship when i was back in school, all I got was everyone in my year at school (almost entirely Utd, Arsenal, WH, Chelsea, Liverpool) was, how s*** are charlton, not even in the prem, blah blah...
    To the majority being as highly ranked in the top division in the country is all that counts, because the majority are narrow minded people that dont go to any games. To most the premiership IS football, they dont look any lower than it, regardless of some of the exciting things that can go on in the lower leagues.

The last few seasons have been hands down way better than the 7 years I was going while we was in the prem.
  • Options

But thats not how the majority think, which is what im saying earlier. When we went down to the championship when i was back in school, all I got was everyone in my year at school (almost entirely Utd, Arsenal, WH, Chelsea, Liverpool) was, how s*** are charlton, not even in the prem, blah blah...
    To the majority being as highly ranked in the top division in the country is all that counts, because the majority are narrow minded people that dont go to any games. To most the premiership IS football, they dont look any lower than it, regardless of some of the exciting things that can go on in the lower leagues.

The last few seasons have been hands down way better than the 7 years I was going while we was in the prem.

Good post, sums it up nicely.

• Options

Why do you give a rats arse what some plastic thinks?
  • Options

each to their own but i always preferred watching the likes of d bent , jensen, parker , deano and rufus et al playing for us mixing it with the greatest players in the world even if we lost than beating the likes of nobody fc 4-0

give me one 4-2 win over arsenal away over a million thrashings of northern town fc

• Options
    I agree that us being in the prem became tedious and we were just there as fodder but that wasn't the question. The question basically is how tedious will the prem be this year and as far as i'm concerned, as somebody who watches maybe a couple of prem games a week, plays fantasy football and watches match of the day, it's not tedious, i find it entertaining. If and when we get back in it, it may well become tedious again. 
  • Options
    Not this time bexley dan i think a few cup finals will enrich it for us
  • Options

Leeds
    That was my thought, but on checking it was Newcastle.
  • Options
    39 goals in this weekends 10 league fixtures .....zzzzzzzz