Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9 Games in - just how tedious will the Premier League be again this year?

13»

Comments

• Options
    It is tedious, Im more than happy in championship. 

But thats not how the majority think, which is what im saying earlier. When we went down to the championship when i was back in school, all I got was everyone in my year at school (almost entirely Utd, Arsenal, WH, Chelsea, Liverpool) was, how s*** are charlton, not even in the prem, blah blah...
    To the majority being as highly ranked in the top division in the country is all that counts, because the majority are narrow minded people that dont go to any games. To most the premiership IS football, they dont look any lower than it, regardless of some of the exciting things that can go on in the lower leagues.

The last few seasons have been hands down way better than the 7 years I was going while we was in the prem.
    Why do you give a rats arse what some plastic thinks?
    I dont, always have the upper hand in the banter though
  • Options
    "The last few seasons have been hands down way better than the 7 years I was going while we was in the prem."

That is a joke, right?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Nope

Infact this season could be the best overall season since ive been coming.
  • Options
    this one, yes - but relegation from the championship and the last 2 seasons in this godawful division?
  • Options
    This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I'm finding the high scoring Premiership less entertaining than the usual. I actually don't want to see United spank Arsenal 8-2. I didn't enjoy the second half of Chelsea/Arsenal and I don't like United/City 6-2 (ok, maybe that one was amusing). Sure, they look like good scorelines but they aren't close encounters between top sides, they're matches where good strikers show up terrible defensive performances. I prefer to watch an all-round top display by a whole team, otherwise why am I watching these overpaid dimwits kick the ball around? Those matches haven't been show of skill so much as a shower of crap in defence. It doesn't feel right. Like I said, people will no doubt think I'm mad but I'd really rather watch teams play well than roll over each other because it's unfashionable to focus on defending and the money follows the fashion
  • Options
    In fairness, getting relegated from the championship was terrible, but didnt mind the first season in league 1 so much, loved the playoff game at the end.

As I say Ive only been coming 9 or so years, dropping down the leagues was a change from a often non eventful season in the prem. Isnt like i want to be in this league forever/anylonger.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The Premiership is a league of contrasts.  Sometimes the football is sublime; usually when two of the bigger teams play each other and go all out to attack using some of the most talented players in the world. At other times it is the world's biggest borefest; usually when big meets small and the smaller team, quite rightfully, does the only thing they can: park the bus.  The difference in perception as to how good the league is, is likely to come from what football you watch.  If you are one of those people that the Premiership was invented for, i.e. armchair fans, you'll love it:  You can pick and choose, watch only the big clubs and see some sublime football without leaving your house.  If on the other hand you support a team that isn't absolutely minted, you'll see a few good games and a hell of a lot more dreary ones.  But that doesn't matter, because you're one of the also rans.  Your team is only in it to make up the numbers and so are you as a supporter.   The Premiership wasn't invented for you so just pay you money, watch your team, shut up and pretend the world is wonderful.

Then there's the business of which teams have a chance of winning the competition.  In the Premiership, it's only a handful.  Again, if you're and armchair fan it doesn't really matter.  Players come and go, and it's stupid following one team too closely; just enjoy the spectacle and then  convince everyone (including yourself) that you've always liked the team that wins the most and you'll be ok.  No one will take the piss out of you, and they'll admire the fact that you've picked a winner; really ;-)  Then again, there are people that support real teams for the right reasons.  They are almost bound to find the format boring, because there's nothing in it for them.  They have to hang on to the fact that they might have once made 7th place before they were jilted at the altar by their best player.  Because there's no chance of doing better.  For them the question of winning the competition ends in mid August.  There should be a sign above the Premiership door, "abandon hope all ye who enter here".  But then, that doesn't matter because they are also rans.  
    This doesn't mean that fans of normal teams won't want to be in it though.  Everyone wants their team to do well (if not be THE Best). That means that it is still seen as a valuable prize even though the excitement they'll get as fans may be less whilst there than whilst getting there.
  • Options
    39 goals in this weekends 10 league fixtures .....zzzzzzzz

So you like abjectly poor defending then? ;-)

• Options
    The Premiership is a league of contrasts.  Sometimes the football is sublime; usually when two of the bigger teams play each other and go all out to attack using some of the most talented players in the world. At other times it is the world's biggest borefest; usually when big meets small and the smaller team, quite rightfully, does the only thing they can: park the bus.  The difference in perception as to how good the league is, is likely to come from what football you watch.  If you are one of those people that the Premiership was invented for, i.e. armchair fans, you'll love it:  You can pick and choose, watch only the big clubs and see some sublime football without leaving your house.  If on the other hand you support a team that isn't absolutely minted, you'll see a few good games and a hell of a lot more dreary ones.  But that doesn't matter, because you're one of the also rans.  Your team is only in it to make up the numbers and so are you as a supporter.   The Premiership wasn't invented for you so just pay you money, watch your team, shut up and pretend the world is wonderful.

Then there's the business of which teams have a chance of winning the competition.  In the Premiership, it's only a handful.  Again, if you're and armchair fan it doesn't really matter.  Players come and go, and it's stupid following one team too closely; just enjoy the spectacle and then  convince everyone (including yourself) that you've always liked the team that wins the most and you'll be ok.  No one will take the piss out of you, and they'll admire the fact that you've picked a winner; really ;-)  Then again, there are people that support real teams for the right reasons.  They are almost bound to find the format boring, because there's nothing in it for them.  They have to hang on to the fact that they might have once made 7th place before they were jilted at the altar by their best player.  Because there's no chance of doing better.  For them the question of winning the competition ends in mid August.  There should be a sign above the Premiership door, "abandon hope all ye who enter here".  But then, that doesn't matter because they are also rans.  

This doesn't mean that fans of normal teams won't want to be in it though.  Everyone wants their team to do well (if not be THE Best). That means that it is still seen as a valuable prize even though the excitement they'll get as fans may be less whilst there than whilst getting there.

Crikey - you have encapsulated my thoughts better than I can write them myself!

Thanks, and obviously...

''This'''

• Options
     i think a few cup finals will enrich it for us
    That's what was missing from the Prem years for me.

Like Misery Guts Ooh Aah I'd rather be a small fish in a big pond than a big fish in the very small league 1 pond

But please let's have a few decent cup runs, regular Quarters and a semi-final every two or three years and yes a final or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed. One of the up sides of being fodder in the premier should be that you can advance to the later stages of the cup competitions but somehow we never looked a class above the teams in the divisions below and if anything we lost the thrill of inflictinga  giant killing ourself. Confidence is high and the team are playing well so although the 'one aim' mantra is there, wouldn't it be nice if we could really give it a go in the fa cup this year. Be interesting to see how we treat it because although financially, promotion is pretty much all that matters, what is football all about if you don't try and win something. Next year, if we go up, it will all be about promotion or avoiding relegation again. I know i'm not the one funding it all and am just a fan but i really hope we don't just crash out early on this year.
  • Options

Well I only watch the Prem on television and would say that compared to all the other shite the TV companies dish up, Prem football is fine entertainment on a boring Sunday afternoon, mundane Monday night, mid-week blues Wednesday or Saturday lunchtime.

Champions League group stage games...now that is tedious.

Scottish football...yawn.

But not the Prem.

• Options
    This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I'm finding the high scoring Premiership less entertaining than the usual. I actually don't want to see United spank Arsenal 8-2. I didn't enjoy the second half of Chelsea/Arsenal and I don't like United/City 6-2 (ok, maybe that one was amusing). Sure, they look like good scorelines but they aren't close encounters between top sides, they're matches where good strikers show up terrible defensive performances. I prefer to watch an all-round top display by a whole team, otherwise why am I watching these overpaid dimwits kick the ball around? Those matches haven't been show of skill so much as a shower of crap in defence. It doesn't feel right. Like I said, people will no doubt think I'm mad but I'd really rather watch teams play well than roll over each other because it's unfashionable to focus on defending and the money follows the fashion
    Had this conversation with a mate after the Arsenal game, is it me or is the standard of defending getting worse and worse ? Even the "better" teams still have centre backs passed their best (Terry & Ferdinand) and Mertesacker (sp) looks like an accident waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Had this conversation with a mate after the Arsenal game, is it me or is the standard of defending getting worse and worse ? Even the "better" teams still have centre backs passed their best (Terry & Ferdinand) and Mertesacker (sp) looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Barcelona have put pressure on other teams in Europe to catch up, but they can't.

They employ a defend from the front policy which means that they will usually win the ball higher up the pitch meaning their defenders are never usually too deep.

Gary Neville did a good piece on MNF last night on teams like Chelsea, Arsenal & Man U leaving a lot of space in behind their defenders which they've never done in the past. Man U went back to basics on Saturday in their win over Everton and didn't concede. Not sure we'll see many more 8-2's, 1-6's or the like when other managers do the same. Barcelona are unique and nobody should try to replicate them.

• Options

I'd say Serie A is the best league

• Options
    Not many places your going to find that bar Barcelona garry..