Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil (a) boxing day

Comments

• Options
    Only an hours drive for me, so hopefully will have sobered up from the day before!
  • Options

I would allow 4 hrs just to be on the safe side.................depending on which you go, the A303 can get a bit sticky around Stonehenge. I suppose you can go M4/M5.

I'm sure I'll be leaving around 10.30 am - a couple of stops on the way & aim to get there for 2ish.

My mum lives in Shepton Mallet and the best I have done it is 1 hour 50 mins on average it takes 2 hours 30 mins
  • Options
    Whatever happened to a nice traditional localish boxing day fixture? We have a handful of clubs within a good hour's journey... orient, brentford, colchester, wycombe, stevenage, mk. How the flip have we got yeovil?!
  • Options
    Whatever happened to a nice traditional localish boxing day fixture? We have a handful of clubs within a good hour's journey... orient, brentford, colchester, wycombe, stevenage, mk. How the flip have we got yeovil?!
    This, especially as there's wycombe vs exeter (Practically yeovil's neighbours) game on the same day!
  • Options

My five worst ever Boxing Day trips:

• Oxford 1980 L0-1, big tear up after game, car window next to me got bricked as we drove out of town
    • Portsmouth 1983 L0-4. you know those games that you are going to lose within 15 seconds of the kick off...
    • Palace 1984 L1-2
    • Wimbledon 1989 L1-3
    • West Ham 2000 (I had to look that up - I thought it was about 2004) L0-5

Apart from the 2-2 draw at Spurs in I'm struggling to think of a single moment of joy at an away Boxiing Day game in over 30 years...

• Options
    This, especially as there's wycombe vs exeter (Practically yeovil's neighbours) game on the same day!
    I think exeter v yeovil is new years eve but dont quote me.  This stupid fixture was pointed out when they first came out.  I emailed the Football League but didnt get a reply.

Was it something to do with Wycombe not wanting the hassle of us on Boxing Day?
  • Options
    Was sorting out some old programmes (to sell in the auction's honest) and found a Carlisle v Charlton prog from 1 January.

And this was about 1970.  So stupid trips on bank holidays is not a new thing.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Was sorting out some old programmes (to sell in the auction's honest) and found a Carlisle v Charlton prog from 1 January.

And this was about 1970.  So stupid trips on bank holidays is not a new thing.

Jan 1 not a bank holiday in 1970.  It seems extraordinary that it was a normal working day until introduced in 1971 (according to Wiki).  So in 1970 Jan 1 was either a Saturday or some joker thought it good to give us a midweek away game there. 

I remember playing Jan 1 at home to Colchester in our 74-75 promo year.  We got a big crowd, helped in part by good form/results, but also because - even though 1/1 was now a bank holiday there wasn't a full programme of matches that day - we had switched ours from another day (a rare bit of astute club management for that decade)

--

Back to Boxing Day 2011.  Yeovil v Exeter presumably considered too 'local' for Boxing Day by today's standards (& Bournemouth too), but they could have sent Wycombe or Brentford down there, surely. 

• Options
    I remember going to Old Trafford on new years day before.
  • Options
    I suspect you remember going to Carlisle v Charlton on January 1st as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's Boxing Day FFS!

What is wrong with people? Pub lunchtime. Back home for cold meat, bubble and squeak and pickles. Fall asleep watching Great Escape/Sound of Music/Oliver!

Who wants to go to bloody football?

Proper fans LOVE Boxing Day football.
  • Options

And proper fans are weird!  ;-)

1st Jan 1970 was a Thursday btw.....

• Options

I suspect you remember going to Carlisle v Charlton on January 1st as well.

feck off you ugg boot wearing glee lover.

• Options
    And New Years Day was not a BH in England until 1974, I thought '71 sounded a bit early.
  • Options
    1st January 1974 Charlton drew 1-1 with league leaders Bristol R at The Valley. Rovers were top we were mid table & the crowd was 11,000 odd, double the usual attendance. That's what I recall. Anyone remember ?
  • Options
    edited November 2011

What I remember about that Bristol Rovers game was that it was in the middle of one of the power strikes that were taking place during this time which generally meant no football was played under floodlights. But for some reason this game went ahead under lights and Charlton produced a "special" programme (which was actually smaller than normal) that was headed on the front cover "to mark a unique demonstration of the wonder of the age of electricity the following match will be played by floodlight".

If electric bills get any more expensive, I expect floodlight football might become a rarity once again!

• Options
    1st January 1974 Charlton drew 1-1 with league leaders Bristol R at The Valley. Rovers were top we were mid table & the crowd was 11,000 odd, double the usual attendance. That's what I recall. Anyone remember ?
    That was a Tuesday.
  • Options

having spent all Christmas Day with 3 screaming kids, and having to put up with visiting parents/grandparents/uncles etc 

I'll remember that as my Mastercard takes a bashing !!

Would like to go but means leaving home about 8am to drive up to South London, might still be over the limit.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Ok, dug out the programme and it was Saturday  1 January 1966.

Very Good condition programme with a press cutting saluting our "50 young valiants"  who left Woolwich on Friday at 10.00 pm Friday and arrived back 3 am Sunday.

One of the fans climbed Carlisle castle and planted a red and white scarf on the flagpole.

Lost 1 - 3

First one to offer £5 and postage can have it

• Options

is the scarf still wearable ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    £6 and see You Saturday.
  • Options
    Utter madness , wonder if any of the 50 'Young Valiants' are on here?
  • Options

Now that I've managed to switch Christmas with the in-laws and family to home, not London, getting to Yeovil is a piece of p***, unlike my usual trips to the Valley. Have a feeling my daughters and I could be lonely though!

Still madness, though not as bad as Carlisle. 

• Options
    £6 and see You Saturday.
    Sold to the MogMeister

See you in the Lib
  • Options
    Boxing day not the same without live football.

Was assuming atleast 750 will go seeing as the team will most probably be riding high!
  • Options
    Not even sure that I can make this one with family Xmas stuff and a pretty long journey for a Boxing Day
  • Options
    As far as I can see there are no trains to Yeovil on boxing day.

Anyone else had any luck with this?
  • Options
    hello... There are no trains anywhere in the country full stop!
  • Options
    Bollocks isn't it!

Guess it will be a long old journey down in the car then.

Tickets pretty cheap compared to most away games. Should be a good one!
  • Options
    Bit hard on the players too - they'll have to travel up on Christmas day I suppose!