Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

£40k for talking utter nonsense

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
That's what Alan Hansen is paid for each and every appearance on MOTD:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/880167-alan-hansen-takes-home-40-000-per-match-of-the-day-appearance

World's gone mad.

Comments

• That's what Alan Hansen is paid for each and every appearance on MOTD:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/880167-alan-hansen-takes-home-40-000-per-match-of-the-day-appearance

World's gone mad.
    It sure has. Yet another hidden subsidy to the omnipresent and know all Jock/Ulster community
  • It sure has. Yet another hidden subsidy to the omnipresent and know all Jock/Ulster community
    *walks away shaking head*
  • It sure has. Yet another hidden subsidy to the omnipresent and know all Jock/Ulster community
    *walks away shaking head*
    keep walking  ..  the end of the pier is nigh
  • Maybe some people on here should apply for the job. They're well qualified.

;o)

* Not aimed at anyone in particular - but if the cap fits.

• 40k is a silly amount of money but when i watch Hansens analysis of defending and team shape i find him quite informative. Sometimes i disagree with him overall views on teams and players but i dont think he talks 'utter nonsense'
  • edited October 2011

World's gone mad.
    It sure has. Yet another hidden subsidy to the omnipresent and know all Jock/Ulster community

Proper weirdo you are
  • 40k is a silly amount of money but when i watch Hansens analysis of defending and team shape i find him quite informative. Sometimes i disagree with him overall views on teams and players but i dont think he talks 'utter nonsense'
    Fair enough, but does that justify 40 grand for just one appearance?!

Personally i think all the bbc pundits are terrible. I think its a crying shame that Linekar presents it and isn't a pundit - I think he would be brilliant at it.
    This
  • And he gets a cab to the studio and back thus not paying train fares, I bet he's your hero!
  • I wouldn't blame him specifically, it's the market. He's getting paid what everybody else in similar roles are. And i agree with ValleyGary, think he talks a fair amount of sense although obviously his Liverpool fetish is annoying.
  • Sponsored links:

•  

World's gone mad.
    I wouldn't blame him specifically, it's the market. He's getting paid what everybody else in similar roles are. And i agree with ValleyGary, think he talks a fair amount of sense although obviously his Liverpool fetish is annoying.
    I agree that anyone would take 1.5 million for doing not a lot .. the point is what other over bloated organisation would offer to pay Hansen that amount in the first place ? .. and then of course there are Shearer, Lawrenson, Lineker, Claridge, Murray, Dixon etc etc etc to pay and a BBC job is a job for life. My great grandchildren will still be listening to Hansen and co pontificating well into the second half of the century
  • edited November 2011
    I suspect that the answer is Sky TV and ITV. That is the going rate for 'expert' analysis. Let us not forget that this chap did win a few trophies in his time. He's hardly Iain Dowie. I, also, think he is one of the best at it. He points out things that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, and I think it is amusing how he always looks to criticise teams for their defending even if they are scoring a hat full of goals.
  • £1.5m is a hell of a lot and I'm not saying he's worth that much but that is not necessarily £40k per MOTD.

We don't know what else he does both on and off screen for the BBC that is covered by the same contract.

And as KHA says what do Sky pay?

• Crazy money, but I have found his analyses absorbing and highly informative. He really has made me look at games in a much more careful way. Mind you Oggy and Scoham also educated me and they got zilch. So Oggy and Scoham for MOTD please.
  • Crazy money, but I have found his analyses absorbing and highly informative. He really has made me look at games in a much more careful way. Mind you Oggy and Scoham also educated me and they got zilch. So Oggy and Scoham for MOTD please.
    Not sure about Oggy but Scoham yes.
  • Gray was on about 1.7mill a year but he did the commentary on a Sunday and then that Last Word programme.

• I think MOTD needs a complete freshen up, Hansen I can just about stand but Lawrenson makes me want to scream. Surely there are enought players who have retired in the last 10 years to choose from.

• When the Andy Gray Richard Keyes sage kicked off Gray was interviewed on his doorstep.The house was enormous and within striking distance of Sky Towers.He didn't get that from his playing days wages.I can now see why he didn't chuck his hat in the ring when he was linked with the Everton job a few years back.
  • When the Andy Gray Richard Keyes sage kicked off Gray was interviewed on his doorstep.The house was enormous and within striking distance of Sky Towers.He didn't get that from his playing days wages.I can now see why he didn't chuck his hat in the ring when he was linked with the Everton job a few years back.
    Not only that, but there is absolutely nowhere near as much stress on the TV as there is in football management. Also you can be sacked at the drop of a hat in football management. Gray was stupid, but if the clip with the young presenter hadn't surficed he probably would have got away with the comments about the woman linesman - or should that be lineswoman. I refuse to call them referee's assistants!
  • Also, Lawrenson has had the same sh*t haircut for about 20 years. It was sh*t then & it's sh*t now. Sort it out !
  • Sponsored links:

• Not bad money if you can get it, but the difference between listening to him talk nonsense and say any of us is that he was a top class player and his nonsense is more likely to be right than ours! 
  • That's what Alan Hansen is paid for each and every appearance on MOTD:

World's gone mad.
    Wow. You have serious issues.
  • A lot of you people seem to think that he just walks in, sits down, and starts talking. Good pundits have to spend a lot of time in preparation and gaining knowledge, for instance when a Club such as Newcastle suddenly appear at the top of the Division with a load of players you have never heard of, there is a lot of information to be gained.

I am not commenting on whether he is overpaid or not, but it needs to be given more thought before we start pontificating.

• A lot of you people seem to think that he just walks in, sits down, and starts talking. Good pundits have to spend a lot of time in preparation and gaining knowledge, for instance when a Club such as Newcastle suddenly appear at the top of the Division with a load of players you have never heard of, there is a lot of information to be gained.

That's why Alan Green only does Man Utd , Chelsea and Liverpool games.

• I seem to remember plenty of people on here crying over the fact Hansen et al struggled to remember the names of the players we had and what positions they played in when we had our time in the Premiership.  In fact plenty to do still complain about the punditry that we get on The Football League Show (I shudder at what Claridge must be getting paid)

Hansen writes a blog and then gets taxied to and from the studio, that's about it.  He'll sit there and say such cutting edge analysis like; 'Liverpool lack the cutting edge' or 'Manchester United were breathtaking'.  F**k me, that was worth it.  Yeah I expected him to be paid well to do all this, but I expected figures of around a quarter of what they supposedly are.  It's a joke.  For the BBC to sit there and claim cutbacks across the board which are affecting thousands of people but then has the temerity to piss it up the wall on so called 'talent' is ridiculous.

As a viewer these days if I can be bothered to watch MOTD I record it so I can fast forward through all of the punditry and this is not necessarily because of a lack of interest but also because I find the regurgitated tripe that these 'experts' spout so God damn boring.
  • For the first year or so he seemed very good.  Whereas most other pundits talked only about strikers and about the goals or glaring misses in a game, here was a guy that talked specifically about the defence.  Also, he didn't focus on just the big game incidents but on the ways players performed throughout the match.  What he said made sense and often was something that was completely new (at least to the tv arena).  The years have moved on, and it seems to me that there's nothing new for him to say any more.  I remember someone saying that one of the reasons the management merry-go-round moves so fast is because managers have to keep moving on.  After 2 or 3 years they've said 99% of everything they'll say to a team.  If they're still talking to the same players it's going to be stale.  I think the same is true of pundits.  For me Hanson, once fresh, has become stale.  Time for a replacement please.

As for the money, should he be paid well? No doubt about it. He's a professional, who I'm sure as Granpa says, puts in a lot of work in that we don't see one screen.  Should it be £40k per week?  No way; it shouldn't be anything like this.  To pay this guy this amount of money is an insult to everyone else who works hard but wouldn't earn that in a year.
  • I don't find the idea that someone earns more than me "an insult"
  • I honestly can't believe AH is paid 40k a week for a bit of panel work.

I heard about three years ago George Burley was getting about 3k for a Sat afternoon panel appearance on Stellings show
  • I honestly can't believe AH is paid 40k a week for a bit of panel work.
    He's not. He's getting £1.5m PA.
  • Let us not forget that this chap did win a few trophies in his time. He's hardly Iain Dowie. I, also, think he is one of the best at it. He points out things that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, and I think it is amusing how he always looks to criticise teams for their defending even if they are scoring a hat full of goals.
    I remember many years ago when Skinner and Baddiel first started doing the Fantasy Football thing, Hansen was one of the guests on the show and Skinner said something along the lines of that he was thinking about arguing with him over something foootball-related but got worried that Hansen would just get out his European Champions medals and say "Oh yeah?". Let's not forget that he was part of one of the most successful teams we've ever seen in this country and he does know what he's talking about. The problem is that, as mentioned earlier, there's only so many times you can say it before you come across as a bit boring.

He's still overpaid though. Mind you, if I was a player of his ability and saw what the players earn today compared to what I was paid in my career, I'd milk it for all it's worth too!