Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£40k for talking utter nonsense

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    There's people in the world who earn a hell of a lot more for doing a hell of a lot less.  Good luck to him, if I could be paid that for doing what he does I'd be there in a flash and also be delighted that my work was around a subject I love.

Think he's one of the better pundits around anyway, some of the dirge on ITV can get quite painfull

Also, if I spent my life feeling insulted about what people earn compared to me then every day would be depressing.  I find it more constructive and rewarding to focus on my life rather than lusting after the material wealth of others.
  • Options
    I doubt there would be many people who would turn down that kind of money for talking about a subject they enjoy and know enough about to be genuinely informative rather than 'read it on wikipedia once.' I think he's actually pretty good compared to some of the drek you get out there, 1.5mil good? Maybe not, but if that's the offer, why wouldn't he take it?
  • Options
    I don't think the question is about why anyone would take £1.5m. It is surely why would the BBC offer such an amount when they are cutting jobs, production, salaries etc?
  • Options
    And to think Chirpy... you do it for free!

• Options
    Lol!
  • Options
    I think it is wrong to claim Hansen doesn't know what he is talking about but maybe more valid to say the formula is a bit tired. He is clearly paid his salary because he does know what he is talking about but I must admit I do enjoy hearing Gary Neville more because he is just easier to listen too whether you agree with what he says or not. Some people are more interesting by nature than others and maybe that has to be taken into account, as well as knowledge, when pundits are employed. Brian Clough was the best pundit ever - he was often more interesting than the match.
  • Options
    I don't think the question is about why anyone would take £1.5m. It is surely why would the BBC offer such an amount when they are cutting jobs, production, salaries etc?

His salary is ridiculous, but I guess (don't know), that it was agreed before the cut backs. However, it is still crazy whether it was or wasn't.

I'm confident you could get an ex player doing just as good if not better for £100k pa.

• Options
    I can only assume it's the going rate. Sure, you could probably find someone who'll do it for less but do you really want 'expert analysis' from some ex Wigan squad player, or a guy who's actually won stuff?
  • Options

How many times can one pundit get "gritt and determination" into his post match analysis, do you think he gets paid a bonus everytime he does. Say something different!!

I think Stigs point about managers and becoming stale is spot on, I think MOTD has become stale and needs new pundits to liven it up, I know Shearer is relatively new but not what you would call lively. I think they should have Brad's dad on at least he is enthusiastic and sounds like he cares about what he is commenting on.

• Options
    Football= big money, and not just on the pitch I would say. Match Of The Day is the most watched football analysis show (at least non-Sky) and I'm no expert but I expect it still gets very high viewing rates. It's BBC flagship program, look at the crap ITV came up with when they tried something similar. There's going to be a lot of money thrown at the likes of MOTD, Dr Who and (formerly) Spooks compared to most BBC departments/shows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011

I must admit- I do enjoy listening to Ian Wright. He has a passion but it may grate on others I suppose. MOTD can be a bit boring though if the matches are not the best. It needs pundits who can lift it when this happens.

The BBC have an excellent opportunity to try out some new approaches/ideas on the football league show first but don't seem to want to grasp it.

• Options
    I can't believe BBC news readers earn 500k a year , no wonder the BBC is broke!
  • Options

Must admit, haven't watched MOTD for about 3 years.

As Chirpy says, with the amount of cutbacks needed everywhere, the Beeb spending that on effectively a time-filler is scandalous

• Options
    edited November 2011

Maybe they should refresh the pundits every few years, so that they always have someone who has played the game recently and can give an insight into the game as it is played today? Look at clips of Hansen in his playing days and just by the tightness of the shorts you can tell it was years ago.

Keeping Hansen & Lawrenson on the payroll for years is stopping the next generation coming through.

• Options
    Praps it sheds a bit of light on why Curbs might be happy doing his media bits instead of managing, for example, Leicester.
  • Options

Don't think he spouts rubbish....he knows his stuff and besides whoever The Beeb got/get there will be some who don't like them. I do however question the amount they are 'reputed' to be paid particularly in these cost cutting times.......are the sums quoted public knowledge?

Personally, I think our very own Scott Minto is currently the best football pundit on TV(along with Andy Townsend) and would make a great MOTD presenter......... as in The Boy Lineker. 

• Options

I don't think what he says is necessarily rubbish just repetitive, him and Lawrenson have been on there for so long they have nothing fresh to say.

I agree about Scott Minto, also like Matt Holland on the radio (slight ex Charlton bias). They have played more recently and have a greater understanding of modern day footballers and modern day football, maybe it needs a pundit who had less success in his playing career to understand the likes of Wigan and Wolves rather than players who spent virtually their whole career winning things surrounded by the best players that era had to offer.

• Options

maybe it needs a pundit who had less success in his playing career to understand the likes of Wigan and Wolves rather than players who spent virtually their whole career winning things surrounded by the best players that era had to offer.

They've got Shearer for that.
  • Options

MOTD is watched by many, many people who either have never been , or don't go any more, to actual games and often that seems to be the level the punditry is aimed at. It now appears as a comfy gentleman's club with their little in-jokes and comments and I swear I've seen 'Lawro' in a cardy like Henry's! Oh, for someone to say '......and the 'keeper was rubbish', instead of '...he'll be disappointed with that'.  Just some proper argument and discussion but it's not likely with these 'lads'.

I notice that their cabs get a mention above. The Beeb don't use 'Bert's Comfy Cabs' to transport our heroes about, they have a professional chauffer service usually using Merc 'S' or 'E' class saloons to bring them down from the wild North. Presumably, what with the prog moving to Manchester, they'll be able to catch the bus.

• Options
    I rarely watch match of the day anymore, as goals on.Sunday with chris kamara, Ben shepherd and two random football people talk about the games as well as discussing other football issues...

Many people moan about sky, but the football programmes (as well as normal programmes) are just so much better...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's insane. Especially while someone with the contagious enthusiasm for the sport like Mark Lawro must not be anywhere near that.

End joke.