Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can you help with a bit of research, please? Holiday related

Working on a project and would be very useful to get some input from the cross-section of people on Charlton Life. 

Could you take a minute or two to answer the following:

How far in advance do you decide where to go on your main holiday of the year? eg Have you already decided for next summer?
How far in advance do you actually book?
Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer?  Why/ Why not?
It would be useful if you could briefly describe your household eg single/ married/ kids/ age of kids

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    1. Approx 4-6 months
    2. Approx 3-5 months
    3. No. I find that France is full of the French. Say no more.
    4. Happy, envigorated, friendly, drunk. All under 40 - apart from the missus.
  • Options
    Thank you - esp for sensible answers until no 4 (though certain people on here might take issue with no 3!)
  • Options
    Oi - no.4 WAS my sensible answer!
  • Options
    1 - Approx 6-8 months
    2 - Approx 5-7 months
    3 - Yes, however it would be last resort as the Eurostar is just so easy and convenient.
    4 - In a relationship, no kids.
  • Options
    1) 4-5 month, roughly
    2) 3 months
    3) No, did it once with my parents - never again
    4) In a relationship, no children

• Options
    1.  2-3 Months
    2.  1 Month.
    3.  Yes.  Not done that before, sounds like fun.
    4.  2 Adults, 2 Teenagers (eldest probably wouldn't come), 1 OAP, Not much money.
  • Options
    1. Approx 3 months
    2. About 1 month
    3. No like to relax and sit back not have the hassle of driving for hours
    4. Married with a 10 yr old girl and 6 yr old boy
  • Options
    1. usually 6 /7 months as wife has to book leave
    2. Usually same so 6/7 months
    3. Yes, have done so before and will most likely do again if economy allows.  Like having the car and the drive is part of the holiday.
    4. Husband, wife, 13 yr child
  • Options
    1. usually 6 /7 months as wife has to book leave

2. Usually same so 6/7 months
    3. Yes, have done so before and will most likely do again if economy allows.  Like having the car and the drive is part of the holiday.

Henry can I be the first to say that sounds like a very modern relationship.
  • Options

Henry can I be the first to say that sounds like a very modern relationship.
    Certainly not.  I hate the modern world  : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1/2 Main holiday gets booked 10 months in advance. We go in a big group - about 25-30 of us so it's necessary

3. Yes, went to France this year and will be doing it again next. We go by car and camp for a few days on the way, have a week at a big house then camp for a few days on the way back. Driving in France is a pleasure

4. Married, one 9 yr old boy

• Options
    edited November 2011

1, 5/6 months in the past but changed circumstances have made things more flexible.

2. 3 months (wait to see what offers are available)

3 . No, unfortunately. Licence withdrawn for health reasons, but continental train travel is being considered. We have driven to/through France in the past and enjoyed it,except for large towns/cities. Motorays are superb, with very light traffic. Did tend to have problems with roundabouts if I wasn't concentrating though!

4. Myself (retired) and Mrs.M (still slaving). My daughter and son-in-law are trying to get us to go camping in France but we like our comforts. It would also tie us down to the school holiday periods as she is a teacher.

• Options
    1.  6-12 months
    2.  6-12 months (normally book within a couple of weeks of deciding where to go)
    3.  No.  Would normally travel further and hire or not drive for 2 weeks
    4.  Me, Mrs Cat and CatJnr (10yrs - developing the attitude of a 14 y.o.)
  • Options
    1. 2-4 months
    2. 1-2 months
    3. No. We usually take holidays in Asia
    4. Married, kids grown up
  • Options
    1. 10-12 months
    2. Normally book within weeks of deciding where to go
    3. Only ever been to France for a booze cruise, and although I've suggested driving to our holiday (Spain, Portugal etc) we've never considered France
    4. Married with 2 kids aged 10 & 7 and now have to be careful when booking hols as schools are now fining parents for unauthorised absence!
  • Options

1) I usually start thinking of the next main holiday the minute I get back from the last one.

2) About 9 Months. Already booked for next summer.

3) Would consider it and have done it in the past.

4) Married with one teenage daughter.

• Options
    Have had a couple of 3 day UK breaks but haven't had a holiday for three years :-(

1. Used to always be 2-3 months beforehand. Decide and book within days of each other. Kids dictate booking well in advance, and have booked for next summer already, only time have ever done that.

2. Have never drove to France and not something I've considered though I know many do. If a holiday was to involve driving then I would stay in England. Would happily be a guinea pig on a freebie and provide a review though :-)

3. Married, two one year olds.
  • Options
    Have had a couple of 3 day UK breaks but haven't had a holiday for three years :-(

1. Used to always be 2-3 months beforehand. Decide and book within days of each other. Kids dictate booking well in advance, and have booked for next summer already, only time have ever done that.

2. Have never drove to France and not something I've considered though I know many do. If a holiday was to involve driving then I would stay in England. Would happily be a guinea pig on a freebie and provide a review though :-)

3. Married, two one year olds.
    Eurocamp and Keycamp caravan sites are great for little kids.  Pools, kids club, bar, self contained and lots of other kids and parents.  Worth looking into especially before the go to school and you can get the cheap rates.

And typical AFKA after a freebie.  I hate people like that : - )
  • Options

1. Main holiday tends to be in winter these days. Decide on destination 3 or 4 months in advance.

2. Book around 2 months in advance, sometimes less.

3. Got nothing against France, and nothing against driving that distance, but would be more likely to fly there for a long weekend.

4. Living in sin, no kids.

• Options

1. Usually Jan/ Feb for June or Sept (Try and avoid shool hols now)

2. As above.

3.No,  Have done it in the past to Disney Paris, But since the kids have grown up have no further desire to vist France again.  (I worked in a french bank for 12 years and they are not my favourites)

4. Married with 2 adult offspring.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't usually have a main big holiday prefer to have lots of little ones (exception being honeymoon last xmas) would normally plan a break just as we get home from one so we have something to look forward to although have nothing booked for 2012. This has reminded me to get something sorted!

2 months ish for a long weekend away in Europe, longer for a longer holiday - but don't have many of them

I'd like to go on holiday in France but not by car. I have a husband that doesn't drive and I wouldn't want to do all the driving there/back and day trips. wouldn't mind going to a place that didn't definately need a car, would fly there and then maybe hire one when there for day trips but wouldn't ever drive to France as think its too much for 1 person and not enjoyable. That said I'd do a UK trip and drive around and it wouldn't be a problem as love driving but would have to concentrate more overseas. I drove in Australia and it was the same side of the road, but it took me a while before I worked out the traffic light system in melbourne city centre and ages before we could put some music on and relax! (once Dec navigated us onto the Great Ocean Road and we couldn't go the wrong way!)

Married, no sprogs.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    1. about 4 to 6 weeks. 
    2. As soon as I know the dates.
    3. Do each year, in the summer best to avoid the very South East of France as traffic is madness. (I don't drive how ever)
    4. In a relationship,  9 year old Girl.   
  • Options
    1. 6 months'ish
    2. As soon as I know the dates
    3. No don't like the idea of driving on the other side with UK car
    4. Retired with working wife no kids but 1 dog, 11 hens and 2 pigs, we go on holiday about once every 5 years so it is something we plan well in advance.
  • Options

Retired and have a touring all year caravan so we are currently at our winter residence (Crystal Palace)

1) Tend to do things on impulse or buy if a bargain crops up. But vaguely planning to tour abroad next year as soon as season ends.

2) Have booked a year in advance or just gone the next week. Retirement = freedom plus sharply reduced income, so very variable

3) Love France, will take tin can with us if the exchange rates and fuel prices don't worsen.

4) Married, knackered old gits, no pets or dependants but we have a huge collection of worms if that counts!

• Options

1. Own holiday home in Italy so I go there every year summer and winter ski.

2. As soon as the cheap flight deals or eurotunnel offers are up.(8 months in advance).

3. I drive through France but rarely stop.

4. Family with 4 kids(teenagers). Main reason we have holiday place is difficult to book reasonably priced mainstream holidays in families over 4. My house in Italy cost the equivalent of 4 family holidays.

• Options
    Has anyone had the confidence to book a holiday on the play off dates because they know we will be safely promoted long before then?
  • Options
    Has anyone had the confidence to book a holiday on the play off dates because they know we will be safely promoted long before then?
    I missed out on a blokes' long weekend in Tenerife last May in order to keep the play-off dates free last season. Took me far to long to come to terms with the fact that we were sh!te. Conversely, this season I am flying of on hols on 7 Jan, which is FA Cup 3rd round day - I therefore think it's guaranteed that we'll have a quality tie like Arsenal away for me to miss!
  • Options
    Great stuff everyone -thanks for the answers, and some interesting additional insights into your households!!

Anymore welcome...
  • Options

1. Normally about nine months

2. Normally about six months

3. No, try and avoid anywhere in the Eurozone as it seems outrageously expensive

4. Live with partner, no kids

• Options
    1.Roughly 6 months

2. Roughly 6 months

3. Never in a million years as hate driving

4. Married with a 7 year old