Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can you help with a bit of research, please? Holiday related

2»

Comments

• Options
    How far in advance do you decide where to go on your main holiday of the year? eg Have you already decided for next summer?

Yes, but only as we have been invited by a large group of friends to holiday with them - never normally decide that early.

How far in advance do you actually book? - Normally 2-3 months.

Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer?  Why/ Why not? Doesnt appeal to waste time in a car.  Would rather holiday in this country.

It would be useful if you could briefly describe your household eg single/ married/ kids/ age of kids.  Married, a 13 year old step child.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options

Not been on holiday since 2006 other than 4 days in Switzerland with one of my daughters when she worked there a few years back.

However:

How far in advance do you decide where to go on your main holiday of the year? eg Have you already decided for next summer?

I've always been tied to school holidays so have always tended to look for late deals.

How far in advance do you actually book?

See previous answer. In the past I've booked at lunchtime and we've gone that evening.

Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer?  Why/ Why not?

No I don't think so. Firstly I did it years ago and secondly France has become a car unfriendly country in my opinion particularly if you are foreign. Legalised extortion (sometimes called on the spot fines) for non-compliance with petty technical offences is not my idea of a relaxing holiday I'm afraid so I stay away.

It would be useful if you could briefly describe your household eg single/ married/ kids/ age of kids

Married. Children all adults and away from home much of the time.

I daresay I am not typical and have skewed your sample!

• Options
    Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer?  Why/ Why not?
    It would be useful if you could briefly describe your household eg single/ married/ kids/ age of kids
    1. We have already decided on Italy for next year but that can change at any time.
    2. Being self employed we wait a couple of weeks before we go to make sure that I have been working.
    3. Went be car to France last year and had a great time. Will be going to France by car again at some point next year
    4. Me and my partner. both under 30. I am self employed, partner is employed full time.
  • Options

I have had three days in blimmin Cromer as my only going away break in the last ten years.

The above was sorted about two days in advance.

No decision about next Summer at all, often contemplate building one around pre-season friendlies, but recently they have been very boring prospects...unlike the little jolly up in Scotland many years ago, a mini pre-season  tour of Ireland would be nice, but must be in school holidays.

Been to France by car previously, lovely and all that, but eating-wise absolutely diabolical so won't do it again, quite fancy a drive to Italy tho'.

Married one teenage son at home.

• Options

1 approx 4-6 months,yes already decided

2 approx 4-6 months

3 no doesn't interest me

4 single, 12 year old  

• Options
    Decide about now
    Book after christmas
    Driven to Eurodisney twice for weekend breaks, wouldn't consider a holiday in France though, until Euro 2016
    Married with 6 year old
  • Options
    1, Like to try and sort it out destination well in advance.
    2, Normally end up booking a month ahead of leaving.
    3, Wife works in a school so we avoid Europe during school holidays and go Long haul, and france is way down the list of places to visit if we finish the rest of the world Europe will be next .
    Why? Done day trips and it doesnt appeal.
    And by car.................Never!
    4, Married, all the children gone. Just us and the dog.
  • Options
    1 anything from 3 to 10 months
    2 usually 4-6 weeks before we go, but for major trips up to 10 months
    3 No, If I went to France I would probably go by train but I wouldn't choose France over a beach or diving holiday
    4 Married, kids grown up and gone (Although we all went on holiday together earlier this year)
  • Options

Yes, but only as we have been invited by a large group of friends to holiday with them - never normally decide that early.

How far in advance do you actually book? - Normally 2-3 months.

Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer?  Why/ Why not? Doesnt appeal to waste time in a car.  Would rather holiday in this country.

It would be useful if you could briefly describe your household eg single/ married/ kids/ age of kids.  Married, a 13 year old step child.

Thanks in advance!

1 Now go to Tenerife in October ( Timeshare ) and April ( rent a Timeshare apt)  for 1 week at a time so book again after each trip. However have managed another 1 week break in June/July for the past couple of years ( one in New Forest & this year in Sorrento) .

2 Tenerife weeks as above, if summer week taken , sort after Xmas

3 Possibly. Have taken the car for a day trip to Le Touquet via the Tunnel on a couple of occasions & like the place so  have looked at places to rent in that location for a week next summer.

4 Married, retired, hubby working P/T , children married but have holidayed at times with them & grandkids over past few years ( usually summer or Easter)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    How far in advance do you decide where to go on your main holiday of the year? eg Have you already decided for next summer?  9-12 months, yes , probably South Africa safari
    How far in advance do you actually book? 6-9 months
    Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer?  Why/ Why not? Yes, have driven in France for holidays and driven to Switzerland. Not long back from holiday in south of France where we hired a car. Very easy to drive in France - toll roads expensive but good. Have not used tunnell, take ferry as cheaper
    It would be useful if you could briefly describe your household eg single/ married/ kids/ age of kids. Married no kids, 2 cats (dont come on holiday) + Henry the Charlton Gnome
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1. Own holiday home in Italy so I go there every year summer and winter ski.

2. As soon as the cheap flight deals or eurotunnel offers are up.(8 months in advance).

3. I drive through France but rarely stop.

4. Family with 4 kids(teenagers). Main reason we have holiday place is difficult to book reasonably priced mainstream holidays in families over 4. My house in Italy cost the equivalent of 4 family holidays.

Do you rent out your holiday home?
  • Options
    I've had one holiday (a week in Lanzarote) since 1996.
    Next holiday currently scheduled for 2027 (when I finally stop paying child maintenance).

So....

1) N/A - we decided to go away and went 2 weeks later
    2) N/A - booked it 5 mins after we decided to go
    3) Would love to but dont have a car. Will be able to afford to buy one again in 2027 hopefully.
    4) Divorced, 5 yo daughter, living on my own.
  • Options

1)  depends ive had two holidays. both planned 6 months ahead.

2) one booked five months ahead, one booked 5 days ahead. both to get the best prices. summer holiday and autumn sun.

3) drove to south of france from sheffield two years running. kids hated the long journey, but it was a great way to see the whole country albeit through a car window.

4) two kids 15 and 10, from ex-wife, one on way from second. holidays are officially a pain to plan. firstly my children's schools, then my annual leave , then my partner's annual leave, then my ex wife and her partner's annual leave, and finally my partner's family and their plans, if we're staying in their house abroad.

• Options

1) recently decided about 1 month ahead as never convinced I will still be in employment in 6 months so can't plan that far.

2) Anywhere from 1 month to 2 weeks before hand.

3) not likley as prefer more exotic holidays

4) me & wife - mid 30's

• Options

6 months usually. Think I may not have a holiday for a while now though

How far in advance do you actually book? Usually 5-6 months

Nope not allowed to drive abroad yet.

Lodging with fiancée and her dad. No kids.
  • Options

Wife is not happy unless the holiday for the following year is booked before Christmas

7 months

Drove to France this year.Ferry was Portsmoth to St Malo - book a cabin it is worth the extra cash. Driving in France is easy but the cost of living is London priced madness.

Married with a 12 year old daughter

• Options
    DRFDRF
    edited November 2011

8 months

6 months - I like to have the holiday after already booked before I go on the  next one

Would you consider going by car to France on holiday next summer? Why/ Why not?

No. Only one driver in the family so too much driving for something that can be done by train / plane

Plus (not sure if this is relevant or nit-picking) I rarely go away in the summer - Spring and Autum for me one long distance one short hop

Two people not married. Occasionally holiday with other friends / parents.