Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magic Moments

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Hi all, first post: For the older supporters - I started following Charlton in the early 60's and I have vivid memories of Stuart Leary doing handstands around about the centre circle during games. Does any other supporter remember seeing that? For the younger supporters - what's the wakiest thing you've seen an individual player do? Can you match the Leary magic?

Comments

• Options

Hello young offender   :-)

Can't think of any wacky things, but didn't want you to think you've been ignored. Welcome.

Best I can come up with is Hales & Flanagan punch up against Maidstone.

Danny Mills getting himself sent off on purpose, so he'd miss the Xmas games & be at home with his family.

• Options
    Charlie Wright fumbling the ball between his legs.

(Er, did I really just say that?)
  • Options

I rmember Myhre conducting the covered end choir a few times.

But it does make me think it's been a while since we had anyone like that at the valley. I just don't think footballers are the same these days - more serious (not a bad thing) I mean we don't even have any names read out in a funny style these days. I used to really enjoy the ooh Scotty Parkers and Mark Fiiiiish. We need to bring that back.

• Options
    Rufus scoring his first ever CAFC goal at Wembley and not having a clue how to celebrate !!
  • Options
    I remember the elephant being taken round  

Dan Druf  huge blow up doll
  • Options
    Charlie Wright fumbling the ball between his legs.

(Er, did I really just say that?)
    My dad keeps on telling me about that, did it happen more than once?
  • Options

Thanks all, the like the idea of the elephant. I should have added Leary had the ball and a defender in front of him - he was supposed to be attacking.

I thought the Columbian goalie was good as well.

• Options
    edited November 2011

Remember Stuart doing the hand stands as if it was yesterday.

Also he used to put the ball up the back of his shirt at free kicks whilst the refs back was turned...he would bunch his shirt up at the front which held the ball in place up the back of his shirt....the ref was looking everywhere for the ball and the crowd used to fall about laughing....the ref would look away to find the ball....Stuart would let go of his shirt and the ball would fall at his feet the ref would look back in complete bewilderment. The look on the refs faces was a picture....he was the crown prince of entertainment.....and without doubt the greatest player and showman I've ever seen in an Addicks shirt.

He used to do reverse passes...(one leg curled round the back of the other) not that remarkable you may say but somehow he used to do them running at top speed.....just for something to do....and they were deadly acurate passes into the bargain.

Jeeezuz.........he really was a genius, pure and simple.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Charlie Wright ........

It happened about 3 times in all of his time at Charlton, taking his eye off the ball as he was looking to see who to throw it out to. Among the softest goals you would ever see conceded.

But he wasn't "Sir Charlie Wright" for nothing. On his day he was unbeatable, performing heroics verging on the miraculous to keep a clean sheet. A very good keeper indeed.

He was also a real character and loved to clown about when play was at the other end - and developed a real rapport with the crowd. Honk Kong international too, like all good Scotsmen.

• Options
    Yes....Charlie was a great favourite....made some real blunders but everyone loved him so much they always forgave him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved watching Paddy Powell 'roasting' the full back, when roasting meant something else.

A 'Magic Moment' for me was the 5th goal on Saturday, I have no idea why, it was one of those slow motion moments!!
  • Options
    How about Jason Euell having his gigantic shorts around his ankles just before kick off?
  • Options
    I remember Charlie Wright running from his area to head a ball clear and removing his cap mid flight, only to place it back on his imediately on landing.
  • Options
    The late, great, Bob Curtis running out of the tunnel one Saturday in the late sixties with his normally dark hair bleached completely blonde!

Naturally, he received a lot of good natured abuse from the crowd.

• Options
    Di Canio  after being subbed and seeing  Brad Fredel get a 90th min  leveler( Blackburn)  only for Class Jensen to smash the winner 1 min later runs on thepitch round the centre circle and jumps on a coppers back  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Kinsella always cheating while taking corners :)
  • Options

Harry Gregory jumping up on the little fence next to the running track once he'd scored.

Keith Peacock doing his keepie uppies and smashing it in the covered end goal.

• Options
    The guy in the mankini 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really enjoyed that, Rizzo.

Ah, those were the days!
  • Options
    20K+ people singing "sha la la la ----" after Jon Fourtune scored.  Revenge is a dish best served cold---------------it truely was.

10K singing "things can only get better"  at Old Trafford ----------stunned their supporters---but it didnt as they were far to good for us.
  • Options
    Meteorite (or was it a UFO?) over the Valley during midweek friendly against Chelsea in 1970. I think it crashed in the Welsh mountains.
  • Options
    Oliver i think your getting confused with Charlotte Church.

• Options
    Goalie Willie Duff punching the Everton CF in the face and flooring him, then taking off his green jersey and walking off before the ref sent him off. It was an FA Cup replay, we lost.

Yes Stuart Leary was one of the best and his partnership with Jonny Summers was awesome.
  • Options
    Hi Feltham - do u drive a white car / van with a couple of CAFC stickers on the back ? (don't get many round here) Where are u watching the game Sunday ?
  • Options
    Charlie Wright was some player, he may have made a few errors, and his handilng and distribution were 'normal', but the athleticism and agility he had was something special. In the days before segregation, and when a little knot of away supporters gathered on the terrace at the open end, it was commonplace to see them leaping anticipating a certain goal, which Charlie would save with his fantastic shot stopping ability.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Goalie Willie Duff punching the Everton CF in the face and flooring him, then taking off his green jersey and walking off before the ref sent him off. It was an FA Cup replay, we lost. Yes Stuart Leary was one of the best and his partnership with Jonny Summers was awesome.
    Was stood but 20 feet or so from Willie right behind the goal. It was Dave Hickson that he clumped..........knocked him clean out.
  • Options

i went to charlton away at nottingham forest a long time ago with me dad. (probably mid 90's)

and it was early in the match, when the ball went out of play in my direction. (my dad and i were sitting in a completely emply stand at the highest aisle available (nosebleeds)) . Steve Jones noticed me before he took the Charlton throw, and he looked directily at me, made "hand eyeglasses" upon his face, pointed right at me, and pumped his fist! That was a magic moment for me and my dad.

• Options

Hi Sunbury - no silver Ford fiesta (1997) great little car.

I remember Charlie Wright - great character, loved by the home fans in what is now the away end. Couple of other moments:

Watching the first team training on the cinder patch behind the old wooded main stand on a very cold day - Mike Bailey in goal turns to me, smiles and asks to lend my gloves. Being about 8 I thought wow!

And - that crazy moment when Steve Brown was being stretchered off and the ref red-carded him.