Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halifax vs. Charlton | FA Cup First Round, 12th November | Preview, Predictions, News and Views

WSSWSS
edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Those making the arduous trip up to Halifax early Sunday afternoon need to be commended for their commitment (or sectioned for their insanity) yet the feel good factor around Charlton at the moment should ensure a healthy gathering of Addicks up at The Shay

In what we all hope is our last adventure in the First Round of the FA Cup, two wins has the potential to deliver a day out like we experienced at White Hart Lane last season.  A defeat of course will reignite the feelings of two years ago when we slumped out to Northwich Victoria.  On TV. On a Sunday.

Charlton Lifers have been debating the team selection for a few days now but it is difficult to know what Chris Powell will be thinking (even without saying it, there will be a glancing eye on the upcoming games against Brentford and Huddersfield – One Aim and all that).  Whether new loan signing Hulk Hogan will be in line or even allowed to play is up for discussion whilst I’m sure the like of Rhoys Wiggins, Danny Hollands and BWP will all be allowed to watch the game from the comfort of their sofas.

Preview Towers can’t see an embarrassing capitualtion like the class of 2009, in fact the total opposite.  A decent pitch, a good attitude and another professional and impressive 1-4 result.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Options
    3-0 to the addicks. pritchard brace and super Hulk Hogan for me. well played to anyone making the trip. 

COYR  
  • Options
    Another good litmus test for the infamous 'depth of squad' arguments. 

Hailifax 1 - 3 Charlton Reserves
  • Options
    0-3 to the londoners Coyr
  • Options
    0-0 and a replay infront of about 2500.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Think Halifax will play up a couple of levels.

A draw, with newcomers and those rusty young players struggling to find someone to play in the reserves up against tough determination, a team used to slogging through wet afternoons in the grim pennines and occasional free-flowing "what have we got to lose?" football from the northern kick and rush glory boys.
  • Options
    WSS your getting carried away we all know Charlton when we are flying they can always produce a reminder 1-0 Halifax
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    3-0 to the addicks. pritchard brace and super Hulk Hogan for me. well played to anyone making the trip. 

COYR  
    Hulk Hogan, loving it !

I guess if he does sign ,and play we can sing...

One Hogan Ephram, 
    There's only One Hogan Ephram....

2-0 to Charlton by the way...
  • Options
    Charlton win 7-2. Does anyone know if I can watch in Singapore?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    You should be able to watch it online on ITV player.   
    go to 

and put it in your favourites
  • Options
    Halifax will up their game but each member of our squad will want to impress either to become a first team first choice or keep their place. Agree with WSS 1-4. COYR's
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    We aren't the same side that got dumped out of the F.A cup by Northwtch Victoria so i'm not expecting the same performance BUT we are woeful in cup competitions and i expect quite a few changes.

If we keep the roughly the same side as we play in the league then i predict a 4 or 5 nil win. If we make several changes i think it will be a narrow 2-1 win after going one down .
  • Options
    After a hairy opening I can see them getting a goal early on, giving them all hope, only for us to step it up and spoil the party. 4-1 to us by the end.

Not sure about putting out an entire second XI but I definitely think it's a chance for some of the fringe players to show what they're made of and give BWP, Hollands etc a day off.

Sullivan, Evina, Alonso, Hayes and Waggy should all get a run out, with a couple of the kids on the bench as a reward for the 9-0 on Monday.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I would like to see (signings pending)

Sullivan

Hughes, Doherty, Taylor, Evina (Morrison on a yellow, so protect him).

Wagstaff, Pritchard, Alonso, Ephraim

Euell, Hayes

(If Parrett signs, put Waggy up front and him in the middle).

• Options
    edited November 2011

The problem is, a) I don't know how strong Halifax are b) how they play and c) who will be playing for us, so impossible to predict. If Halifax are a fair (not dirty time wasting team like Stevenage) I predict a win, but if they stretch the rules and set out to stop us I can see a defeat if we are playing a much weakened team as I expect we will. I'll go staright down the middle and go for a 1-1 draw though, with us getting a reasonably late equalizer. 

If Chrissy is going to play a second string eleven - an extra competetive game when we are not in a reserve league will probably be a good thing. Very difficult to get excited about this one though. I expect the ref to be poor and ultra lenient, as they always are in these sort of games - hope to be proved wrong for a change. 

• Options
    3-0 to Halifax's opponents Hulk with the first,Harriott the second and Parrett the third.
  • Options
    Win the game.

Defence stays the same with maybe Evina instead of Wiggins
    midfield Green Wagstaff Huges Jackson
    Hayes and Kegamont up front

win the game make subs after we have won it.

Alonso in this game ? no way. Happy to have Pritchard ,Alonso, BWP on the subs bench.

I hope we win but Halifax get a goal and some good money out of it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I hope Chrissy takes this seriously. A little cup run can make a decent amount of  cash - Spurs away last season was worth several hundred thousand to us.
  • Options
    Pritchard has JUST resumed training. He won't be starting
  • Options
    Halifax Bobcats 1-2 Charlton City Chiefs
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Halifax are on a good run of form like us, so although we have better players it will depend who plays and whether our half team is good enough....score early and win the match very easy so maybe start with some stronger players with a view to bringing them off and grinding out a nice 3-0 win in front of the cameras.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0 to the addicks, A dodgey pen in the 92nd minute to break Halifaxs accounts hearts
  • Options
    Halifax 1-4 Charlton after going 1-0 down...
  • Options
    3 - 0 to us after getting lucky in the first after they miss some sitters. Powell gives them a bollocking at half time and we come out a rejuvenated side with Pritchard, Waggy and Kermit bagging the goals.  
  • Options
    Halifax will up their game but each member of our squad will want to impress either to become a first team first choice or keep their place. Agree with WSS 1-4. COYR's
    You say that but they didnt really make much of a case in the JPT? Should win comfortably though 3v0 and hopefully an easy hourney to and from!
  • Options
    draw and a replay - down to attitude....never mind the "we'll approach it professionally" line, most will still be thinking "it's only a non-league team and look us" so potential banana skin...the magic of the cup!!  Having watched Halifax with my mate Steve a season ticket holder (shaymanaddickt) over the years I reckon we're in for a tough one......I'm hoping for a draw then a replay cos we've been promised free tickets and a meal in Legends by the Unc (eaststandmike)..COYR/B!!
  • Options

certainly wont be a thrashing..............we may just keep it down to 1 or 2 and may even score ourselves !!   lol

2-1 to the shaymen.

• Options
    cud definatley do with an early goal r rekon. settle the nerves, make sure halifax remember who theyre playing
  • Options
    Never confident with these games. The smaller teams always up there games.

2-1 Halifax
  • Options
    really not sure.  Hard to say with no idea of what the team will be.

team selection has been pretty straightforward for CP in recent months but in the cups with been very good (Reading) or very poor (Preston & Brentford) so it's a risk to make 11 changes, especially in a much more important cup.

going for 3 - 1 Charlton and two debuts
  • Options
    Cant seeing any team even resembling the one put out in the past month losing.
    The score will be determined by how many regulars get a run out.
    MUST rest BWP.
    CP wont allow the lapses of the past few decades seasons. 1-3 and more feelgood factor in the bank of promotion