Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lest We Forget

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Rest in peace everyone who died serving this country.

"For our tomorrow, They gave their today

Comments

• Options
    They deserve our upmost respect, forever remembered.
  • Options
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.
  • Options
    Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?
    Selling poppies in town today.
    The poppies, child, are flowers of love.
    For the men who marched away.
    But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?
    Why not a beautiful rose?
    Because my child, men fought and died
    In the fields where the poppies grow.
    But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
    Why are the poppies so red?
    Red is the colour of blood, my child.
    The blood that our soldiers shed.
    The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.
    Why does it have to be black?
    Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.
    For the men who never came back.
    But why, Mummy are you crying so?
    Your tears are giving you pain.
    My tears are my fears for you my child.
    For the world is forgetting
  • Options
    Never forget
  • Options
    Half Nelson, thanks for a lovely poem. My Dad was a Dunkirk Veteran, at his funeral I was surprised to be approached by two Vets who had attended without me knowing. We had a spirit in those days which we have since lost, and replaced with looting etc from a minority. We bow to a bunch of foreigners about displaying the poppy, and allow Brussels to tell us what we can do, very sad days.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
    Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
    Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
    And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
    Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
    But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
    Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
    Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!---An ecstasy of fumbling,
    Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
    But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
    And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime...
    Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
    As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
    He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
    Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
    And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
    His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
    If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
    Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,---
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

• Options
    edited November 2011

RIP The fallen and Sittingbournes own Soldier Carl Davies who passed away last night aged 31 RIP pal.

My minutes silence today is for you and all the other unsung Heroes

• Options
    edited November 2011
    This says it all for me:-

Why do you still march old man,with medals on your chest?

Why do you still grieve old man,for those friends you laid to rest?

Why do your eyes gleam old man,when you hear those bugles blow?

Tell me why you cry old man, about those days so long ago.

I'll tell you why I march young man, with medals on my
    chest

I'll tell you why I grieve young man, for those I laid to rest,

Through misty fields of gossamer silk come visions of distant times,

When boys of tender age lost lives, and all their mothers pined;

We buried them in a blanket shroud, their young flesh scorched and blackened,

A communal grave newly gouged in blood stained gorse and bracken,

And you ask me why I march young man, I march to remind you all,

That but for those apple-blossom youths, you'd never have known freedom
    at all.

-Never Forget-
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks, Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge, Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs And towards our distant rest began to trudge. Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind; Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!---An ecstasy of fumbling, Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time; But someone still was yelling out and stumbling, And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime... Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light, As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight, He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace Behind the wagon that we flung him in, And watch the white eyes writhing in his face, His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin; If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs, Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--- My friend, you would not tell with such high zest To children ardent for some desperate glory, The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

As moving today as when I first heard this at school.
  • Options

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks, Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge, Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs And towards our distant rest began to trudge. Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind; Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!---An ecstasy of fumbling, Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time; But someone still was yelling out and stumbling, And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime... Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light, As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight, He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace Behind the wagon that we flung him in, And watch the white eyes writhing in his face, His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin; If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs, Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--- My friend, you would not tell with such high zest To children ardent for some desperate glory, The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

As moving today as when I first heard this at school.

Just the quote I am reading out at a school church rememberance service this morning.

I hope it has the same lasting effect as it did for you Mr OneL.

• Options

When I just saw this thread it was at 11 comments 11 new. I wanted to share this but I had to wait until someone else had posted, silly I know but out of respect I couldn't post until it had gone. I just sat updating in silence.

R.I.P.   

• Options

R.I.P.

Lest we forget.

• Options

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Brings a tear to the eye.

R.I.P

• Options
    We will remember them.

RIP
  • Options
    Lest we forget.

R.I.P.
  • Options

CAFCofficial
    Charlton Athletic FC

Two-minute's silence impeccably observed at The Valley. Chris Powell also halted training over at Sparrows Lane (MW) #cafc

• Options
    Did 2 minutes here at work. Nobody had spoken for about 10 minutes before that anyway though so it was hard to tell!

Dead quiet here.
  • Options
    2 Mins was observed by all in my office except one twat who carried on typing his very important email and then started texting.

Makes you so proud!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011

I'm not a member of the silence / poppies are compulsory school as the Wars were allegedly for freedom.

That said one hopes that people will respect it, particularly government departments, hence my annoyance with HMRC telephoning at 10:59 am.

I didn't take the call.

• Options
    Just did my silence in the street. Amazed how many people on mobile phones and generally chatting away. 2 minutes of your day isn't a lot to ask is it.
  • Options

I'm not a member of the silence / poppies are compulsory school as the Wars were allegedly for freedom.

That said one hopes that people will respect it, particularly government departments, hence my annoyance with HMRC telephoning at 10:59 am.

I didn't take the call.

Does that count as tax evasion?
  • Options

I didn't take the call.

Does that count as tax evasion?
    avoidance hopefully rather than evasion :-)
  • Options
    No announcement in my office, and everyone (bar me) just carrying on as normal. P*ssed me right off.
  • Options
  • Options
    only person chatting away in our office was the MD
  • Options
    Poppys

Walked through the masses going to Kidbrooke school------------------- 1 poppy
    On the train and tube less than about 10% wearing poppies
    Was at UCL, the hour i was there no poppies---none.
    Charring X  did the 2 mins silence----except the cleaners.

so much for the "poppy culture"

Those of us that wanted to remember did and those of us who dont give a rats arse have the freedom to do so  because of the fallen.

• Options
    Our office fell silent apart from a bastard husband & wife team who acknowledged the 2 minutes by whispering to each other FFS 2 minutes out of your so important lives ....MAKES ME SICK wanted to say something but would only lead to more aggravation 
  • Options
    Poppys

Walked through the masses going to Kidbrooke school------------------- 1 poppy

On the train and tube less than about 10% wearing poppies

Was at UCL, the hour i was there no poppies---none.

Charring X  did the 2 mins silence----except the cleaners.

so much for the "poppy culture"

Those of us that wanted to remember did and those of us who dont give a rats arse have the freedom to do so  because of the fallen.

Just because someone is not wearing a poppy does not mean that they don't give a rats arse.

Bloke in my office wearing a poppy but happy to chat and joke on the phone during the two minutes silence.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!