Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lest We Forget

2»

Comments

•  Wilma  i agree ,it "says those that dont give a arts arse"   not "those who dont wear poppies and dont give a rats arse"   
  • to paraphrase

....1 poppy........poppies.....poppies.....poppy culture.....rats arse

We all observed, few poppies on show.

• Very nice service in Lloyds today.

People getting on the balcony for a view from 10.15

• We get November 11th off here in Alberta, there were a significant number of lives lost in both wars even in this small town, thousands of miles from the various battlefields. The Canadians sure as hell played their part in those conflicts ...
  • We get November 11th off here in Alberta, there were a significant number of lives lost in both wars even in this small town, thousands of miles from the various battlefields. The Canadians sure as hell played their part in those conflicts ...
    Good shout Oakster, The Winnipeg Rifles(?) were decimated on D-Day, I think one small town (cant remember) lost half its men.

Brave brave men and womrn.
  • Impeccably observed here...

Though I see the EDL observed it in their own manner by kicking off in Whitehall.

With regards to Wilfred Owen there was a programme on R4 on a small musuem that has recently opened in Ors in France. This was were he spent his last night before going into battle the next day and getting killed in action. Sadly that was just a week before Armistice day and his mother received the telegram detailing his death on the 11th of November.

http://gofrance.about.com/b/2011/10/02/wilfred-owen-memorial-opens.htm

• Charlton wearing poppies on their shirts.

I love our club.
  • Bent double, like old beggars under sacks, Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge, Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs And towards our distant rest began to trudge. Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind; Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!---An ecstasy of fumbling, Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time; But someone still was yelling out and stumbling, And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime... Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light, As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight, He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace Behind the wagon that we flung him in, And watch the white eyes writhing in his face, His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin; If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs, Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--- My friend, you would not tell with such high zest To children ardent for some desperate glory, The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

As moving today as when I first heard this at school.

I read this once over Wilfred Owen's grave at Ors Communal Cemetary with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Owen was killed in action on 4 November 1918 during the crossing of the Sambre - Oise Canal, exactly one week (almost to the hour) before the signing of the Armistace. He was promoted to Lieutenant the day after his death and his mother received the telegram informing her of his death on 11/11/18

• Sponsored links:

• Impeccably observed here...

Though I see the EDL observed it in their own manner by kicking off in Whitehall.

Don't want the thread to change direction so this is my only comment on the subject.

Not everyone was EDL, 99% of the people there were paying their respects and not interested in kicking off. No actual crimes were commited. The arrests were 'to prevent a breach of peace' after rumours. The MET were a disgrace.

And take that from someone who was there.

• I live in France, where today is a Bank Holiday. We were up the village memorial at 10:55, then in the village hall for aperitifs, followed by a 5 course meal! The only people from the village who weren't there was the baker and his wife who were open...
  • .....I was up Whitehall the other year when the self same thing happened SE10, I'm not EDL either!
  • I was so impressed with the students in my secondary school who were respectful and clearly moved by the silence on Friday'. Many are attending remembrance events on Sunday with their Guides, Scouts or other youth groups. Clearly there is a passionate desire not 'to forget' amongst many of the younger genereation. Nearly all wore poppies. 'We shall remember them'.
  • Not everyone was EDL, 99% of the people there were paying their respects and not interested in kicking off. No actual crimes were commited. The arrests were 'to prevent a breach of peace' after rumours. The MET were a disgrace.

So the correspondence on Twitter and FB that they were off to have a ruck with those Occupying St Paul's churchyard must have been made up.

That's ok then.

EDL are attention seeking thugs who's only schtick is continually play the put upon victim. You'd think they would have a little bit more respect for the veterans the ceremony at the Cenotaph.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!