Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life stories - gazza

2»

Comments

• Options
    It's not an illness... it's a condition :o)
  • Options
    Saw and spoke to Gazza in Wagamamas down in Bournemouth a couple of months ago and he was a top top man. Was lucky enough to sit practically opposite him and he did not stop talking. Was so interested in the lives of those around him, such a genuine bloke.
  • Options
    It's not an illness... it's a condition :o)

Explain the difference.
  • Options
    Some previous views in the link below.  My personal opinion (formed by close family experiences, turmoil, tragedy and advice), has changed very little:

• Options
    Back to Gazza. Beating up your wife is unforgiveable in my book and that greatly taints his character - and not withstanding the fact that he clearly shouldn't be drinking, due to his condition - he would be in my top five "celebrities" over the last 20 years or so to go for a beer down the pub with. I imagine it would be a great night out.
  • Options
    I may be wrong but I don't see it as an illness just an addiction, much like smoking and drug taking. To me an illness is something you couldn't avoid getting, alcoholism is brought upon by the individual.
  • Options
    Beds - I don't see the difference myself, hence the smiley.

I wouldn't suggest someone is ignorant if they don't see alcoholism as an illness personally (strikes me as just wanting to start an argument with Leroy). But illness / condition... tomato / tomato... same in my mind.
  • Options
    Take it you do then? It's not an 'illness' or a 'disease'. No doctor would tell you that it is. It's a mental condition.

And I'm not your 'mate' - as far as I'm aware, we've never met.

I think a lot of doctors refer to addiction as a disease, a lifelong one. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately doctors can do sweet FA with regards to alcoholism other than refer you somewhere, and then it's up to the 'patient' to WANT to go to meetings or stop drinking.
  • Options
    Beds - I don't see the difference myself, hence the smiley.

I wouldn't suggest someone is ignorant if they don't see alcoholism as an illness personally (strikes me as just wanting to start an argument with Leroy). But illness / condition... tomato / tomato... same in my mind.

Fair enough. As for wanting to start an argument with Leroy it never crossed my mind :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I may be wrong but I don't see it as an illness just an addiction, much like smoking and drug taking. To me an illness is something you couldn't avoid getting, alcoholism is brought upon by the individual.
    But I believe it can be in your genes and in cases is passed down from your parent/s. Therefore it can be argued that it's unavoidable.
  • Options

But I believe it can be in your genes and in cases is passed down from your parent/s. Therefore it can be argued that it's unavoidable.
    If that is the case then I'd agree but I don't think it has been altogether proven that it can be genetic.
  • Options
    So so sad absolutely class footballer who just wanted to be loved. My son asked me how good he was? My reply pure class. Remember him playing for geordies against us at sell out park, he was brilliant. Before anybody judges him read his autobiography.
  • Options
    Take it you do then? It's not an 'illness' or a 'disease'. No doctor would tell you that it is. It's a mental condition.

And I'm not your 'mate' - as far as I'm aware, we've never met.

I think a lot of doctors refer to addiction as a disease, a lifelong one. 
    Then they aren't doctors. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any 'illnesses' you can cure by just not doing something. As I have said on a previous thread (referenced above) I have dealt first-hand with the effects of alcoholism. I'm not going to be 'one of those blokes' who says their own individual experience trumps what anyone else who has seen the effects first-hand has gone through is somehow more relevant. What I will say is that telling people thyey have an 'illness' does absolutely fuck-all to help them with it. It gives them an excuse to continue f***ing up the lives of themselves and everyone else close to them.
  • Options

he's a football legend, one of my footballing hero's and the greatest english player of my generation.

as NSS said above, read his book

• Options
    Gazza clearly takes all of his mistakes very personally and blames no one but himself. Piers Morgan (awful choice for an interviewer) even told him he needs to let go of the past.

Great show and he's the best player I've seen play for England (and Rangers).
  • Options

He's not only an alcoholic. I heard that he's also been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder. Probably linked. 

Wouldn't wish either of those 2 things on anyone.

• Options
    Don't care whether it is an illness, an addiction, a condition, whatever. It's just a terrible sadness when it grips someone and they can't beat it, not just for them, but loved ones around them.

I know of one who died a few days ago, in his thirties. Such a waste.
  • Options
    So so sad absolutely class footballer who just wanted to be loved. My son asked me how good he was? My reply pure class. Remember him playing for geordies against us at sell out park, he was brilliant. Before anybody judges him read his autobiography.

I remember that game very well, it was in March 1988 and Gazza had had a row with the manager (Willie McFaul) the previous week so started on the bench.

Charlton were 2-0 within 30 minutes (Crooks got both, I think) and McFaul had to bring on Gazza (either before or at half time), the teenage Gazza proceeded to run the entire game and we barely got out of our half for the rest of the match!

He always seemed to play well against us, he had a stormer against us for Spurs in our relegation season too, they beat us 3-1 and he scored a beauty.

• Options
    It's a shame that on two occasions that he played a major part in his teams success in the build up to the climax of a competition that he blew it both times.
    Spurs '91 FA Cup run he virtually got them there single handedly and we all know what happened in the final.
    England’s qualification for France '98 he was awesome but let himself go in the period between qualifying and the finals. Hoddle was right not to pick him in those circumstances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has stayed clear of alcohol for 11 months so he's doing well. The ppl around him and himself finally look like they can beat his problems.