Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scapegoats & Charlton Life

Having been reading and contributing just a little over the last couple of seasons it seems that this forum is constantly tying to find a scapegoat. The latest being Jason Euell. Having read that thread I'm dismayed by many of the comments.

For what purpose ?

So when some start booing him when he next appears what do you hope to achieve ? And if you get your wish and you run him out of the club then who is the next victim ?

I've been following Charlton for over 35 years and have witnessed many bad performances and bad players. Jason's performances this year for the job he is here to do are far in excess of this.

We are top of the league and won 4-0 away from home in the FA Cup in a disciplined performance.

What do people want ? 10-0 every game, every player 10 out of 10 ? 

Get real.

This is the start of hopefully another good beginning for the club and we now have a great squad at this level with everybody contributing to achieve the aim of promotion and as far as possible in the FA Cup.

Support your team, all of them.

Comments

• Options
    Good post. I'm betting the players read forums like this. Doesn't help anyone.
  • Options
    Well said.
    Good post.
  • Options
    Jason is giving his best. The problem is that at his age it's no good playing the odd few minutes in games here and there as he has done for most of this season. He needs constant action to keep the joints and juices flowing. For my part I have never and will never boo a Charlton player. However I can see that some poor miserable folk need a whipping boy/scapegoat upon whom to vent their woes and frustrations.  I suppose that it's better to boo well paid professionals than to beat up the wife and saucepan lids however disruptive such booing and abuse might be to the team these boofolkpeople purport to support
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Has always been something that annoys me - but it is more understandable when things are not going well  -it's human nature I suppose- but when you look how this season is going it is pretty amazing -and when you try to make the point, having your opinion accused of being a bit strange is the icing on the cake for me.
  • Options
    Think the word 'scapegoat' is becoming overused here. Nobody wanted Euell to play poorly yesterday, am sure we all would've loved him to bring that ball down when through on goal and break the net, but he was bad against a team 3 leagues below us. Don't think it's surprising that his performance has been highlighted to be honest despite the win.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the original poster.

I don't beleive Jason Euell has become a scapgoat & I certainly wont be booing him if & when he next plays.... BUT........anyone who saw his performance yesterday must surely be thinking that his days are numbered. He contributed very little to the teams overal performance and looked highley unlikely to get anywhere near scoring a goal. 

This was not a "oneoff" as his cameo appearance this season have also shown that he brings very little to the team. His touch has never really been that good & now he has lost any pace that he once had he is looking a shadow of his past self. Don't forget that we were playing a team 3 divisons below us yesterday and so he really should have shone more than he did.

• Options

Think the word 'scapegoat' is becoming overused here. Nobody wanted Euell to play poorly yesterday, am sure we all would've loved him to bring that ball down when through on goal and break the net, but he was bad against a team 3 leagues below us. Don't think it's surprising that his performance has been highlighted to be honest despite the win.

i was thinking the same. I love Euell as a player and can understand the frustration of others that a player whom played in the premiership a couple of times last year couldnt control a ball against amature players. I realise control was never his strongest attribute but when you have the time and space halifax gave us at times yesterday then I'd expect better. I wont call him a scapegoat but he certainly left me with the thought that its probably best he hung up his boots.

• Options
    Scapegoat.
    noun
    a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place.

What is he being blamed for? We won 4-0. I think you've misunderstood the thread.
  • Options

Think some of you are being far too sensitive. Some of the crticism could have been phrased a little more diplomatically maybe and i can understand why CP signed Jason Euell. No problem with either of them but i think we'd all agree that scoring or creating a goal does a lot more to settle a team down than a few experienced words on the pitch or in the changing room. (particularly when we have a manager and umpteen coaches to do that ). I'm sure i could detect the frustration building up in JJ and the likes of Hollands and putting the game to bed rather than clinging on was what they needed but as has been said before, Rome wasn't built in a day. That's all and i'm sure another striker will be added in the window. No problem although having been so fair I do now feel the the urge to get home and bash the missus to re assert my manliness coz i'm starting to feel a bit of a poof house. You want some?  aaarrrrgghhh! 

• Options
    I don't believe Euell is a scape goat either ( not yet anyway) but we do pick plenty over the years . Francis , mcormack , Lisbie and Mooney are just a few and no matter what these players did in a Charlton shirt ( good or bad) a certain section of the crowd couldn't wait to jump on their backs. The sooner some people realise that booing or berating a player is counter productive the better but sadly some people do not have the intelligence to grasp that .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I heard Euell's name being sung at one point as well which suggests he still has support.
  • Options

Scapegoat.
    noun
    a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place.

What is he being blamed for? We won 4-0. I think you've misunderstood the thread.
    Yes, the original post is about the tendency for posters on CL to look for someone to "get on the back of".  

I've not seen anyone in a Charlton shirt do anything other than their best for the club for a long time.  As has been said, everyone is entitled to a bad game, please don't turn players into outcasts for having them.
  • Options
    so now we are not allowed to say a player had a poor game and actually offered nothing to the team on the day. Being a scapegoat would mean that isn't true. However it was. He was awful. We could have played with ten men and you wouldn't have noticed the difference. Sorry if that offends anyone.
  • Options
    I think I heard Euell's name being sung at one point as well which suggests he still has support.
    He's still a popular guy, but seemingly more popular when he's off the pitch! At the Preston game he was getting a rousing chorus of singing from the Covered End Choir whilst warming up and was responding to the "What's the score?" chant, which always goes down well with the fans.
  • Options
    It doesn't offend me, Large.  But I thought Jason's performance was being discussed on another thread.  
  • Options

This is the thread for the posters who like to find poster scapegoats - the other thread is for the posters who like player scapegoats - get it right Large.

• Options
    edited November 2011

@alanscoachdriver

Two Points:

1. I don't think the behaviour you see on here will be any different from any other football forum in terms of how posters praise and criticise players. A couple of years ago i would have quite confidently have argued that the standard here was consistently above that of other similar forums, nowadays, despite best efforts, i would not feel confident arguing that fact.

2. I agree that the use of scapegoat is both overused and incorrectly used. I sat watching that game yesterday thinking 'blimey, Jason is not just well of the pace here, he even looks out of his depth'. If i am sitting there thinking it, no doubt thousands of others are sitting there thinking the same. A lot of us give comments on here, so it is understanding that the same point is repeated in slightly different ways. That isn't a scapegoat, that's just many people posting a comment that others would read as a negative point / criticism. You can't just post blind positive stuff, it has to be true of what you see, and that for me was the standout point of the game yesterday. I don't expect him to have blistering pace amy more, but i do expect a player with his background to have the experience and guille to make himself stand out against a team of part timers well down the footballing food chain. The fact he actually looked below that standard is not just sad to see because he has always been a popular, likeable player, but raises big concerns of whether going forward, there are others in the squad that should be getting more prominence going forward than what he currently is.

That's all. Everyone is overjoyed with the way things are going this season, and that is reflected in the vast bulk of comments on here. That doesn't mean that anything negative can't be debated though. Just my opinion

• Options

well put

• Options

"The fact he actually looked below that standard is not just sad to see because he has always been a popular, likeable player, but raises big concerns of whether going forward, there are others in the squad that should be getting more prominence going forward than what he currently is. " AKFA

I agree and when Smith came on I thought he showed something different, leaving me wondering why he didnt start.

• Options
    Who booed him?

Find the holier than thou attitude towards any criticism levelled at players pretty annoying to be honest.

People have said on an internet forum that he had a stinker yesterday. He did. No one abused him at the game. I heard his name being sung so quite the opposite.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I think it a question of degree - he had a slightly below average game at worst- certainly not as bad as some of the comments have suggested - if he had controlled that ball and dispatched it- he would have got a 7 or 8. He put in a shift and helped the midfield doing stuff that often goes unoticed. I'm not saying he should be in the first team but he can still do a job for us and deserves a little respect for that.

I would also say that it is somewhat easier looking good against a team of knackered and beaten part timers when you come on with minutes to go than have to stand up to their enthusiasm and committment previously in the game.

• Options
    Francis has left so we have to have a new scapegoat.

His performance yesterday was awful but some of the comments are a little OTT
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I think Barts comment re many people saying he had a poor game is very valid....it then appears as if he's being singled out in some ongoing fashion.........it's not the case it was merely a fact on the day...he played very very badly and we are all aware of it and are surely perfectly entitled to say so.

He's certainly not being made a scapecoat.............he doesn't play often enough to be that.

For some strange reason it would seem that Hamer has been singled out and if anyone deserves the title of 'scapecoat of the moment' it's him.....though there aren't that many on his case to be fair and personaly I thoroughly disagree with their comments.

I also think that outrageous comments calling Euell a donkey are way OTT and have no place on an Addicks message board or anywhere else......that's the kind of abuse you sling at a lino/ref or oppo player.

• Options

I think it a question of degree - he had a slightly below average game at worst- certainly not as bad as some of the comments have suggested - if he had controlled that ball and dispatched it- he would have got a 7 or 8. He put in a shift and helped the midfield doing stuff that often goes unoticed. I'm not saying he should be in the first team but he can still do a job for us and deserves a little respect for that.

I would also say that it is somewhat easier looking good against a team of knackered and beaten part timers when you come on with minutes to go than have to stand up to their enthusiasm and committment previously in the game.

'A slightly below average game'.......Oh Jeeez Mutley....come on!
  • Options
    To think Euell is a scapegoat is hilarious. He's arguable the second or third most popular person at the club after Powell and he's always believe in your soul is chanted when he's warming up! He's highly respected and hopefully being groomed in to a coaching role. However, I believe younger players will other more on the bench, which is a brilliant position to be in.
  • Options

"I would also say that it is somewhat easier looking good against a team of knackered and beaten part timers when you come on with minutes to go than have to stand up to their enthusiasm and committment previously in the game." Mutley

I understand what your saying but would rather have seen Smith have a go at it from the beginning than Euell getting game time just because of his experience. We have experienced players in wagstaff, hughes, hayes and jj. Just my opinion but I prefer young blood to old hats.   

• Options

He's hardly getting a lot of abuse from anyone except one or two numpties who need not be named, the most common view is that he is a former legend who sadly is no longer up to the job, sad but true. No-one is going to boo him, the common consensus is simply that the likes of Pritchard are the way forward. Thanks for the memories Jase, but your time is been and gone.

• Options
    We should be wary of making scapegoats of those that rate Euell - they have a different view of Euell's game yesterday and therefore sees criticism of him in a different light.  I think many of the same posters saw certain qualities in Francis that many didn't and the list goes on. We must take these different perspectives into the equation when a scapegoat is accusing a scapegoat of making a scapegoat out of somebody. 
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I sense people are fishing about for one- so it's good that those that suspect this might be happening try to make a big deal of it to nip it in the bud. We are having a great season and don't need any scapegoats thank you very much. I seriously think he did a job - not a good striking performance but he harried the ball  - anybody who recorded the game- if you have a second look you will see he was very involved and covered a lot of ground supporting the midfield. Not a great performance but OK - which is fine by me. 
  • Options
    Great post AFKA...............said it all really.