Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scapegoats & Charlton Life

13»

Comments

• Options

@alanscoachdriver

Two Points:

1. I don't think the behaviour you see on here will be any different from any other football forum in terms of how posters praise and criticise players. A couple of years ago i would have quite confidently have argued that the standard here was consistently above that of other similar forums, nowadays, despite best efforts, i would not feel confident arguing that fact.

2. I agree that the use of scapegoat is both overused and incorrectly used. I sat watching that game yesterday thinking 'blimey, Jason is not just well of the pace here, he even looks out of his depth'. If i am sitting there thinking it, no doubt thousands of others are sitting there thinking the same. A lot of us give comments on here, so it is understanding that the same point is repeated in slightly different ways. That isn't a scapegoat, that's just many people posting a comment that others would read as a negative point / criticism. You can't just post blind positive stuff, it has to be true of what you see, and that for me was the standout point of the game yesterday. I don't expect him to have blistering pace amy more, but i do expect a player with his background to have the experience and guille to make himself stand out against a team of part timers well down the footballing food chain. The fact he actually looked below that standard is not just sad to see because he has always been a popular, likeable player, but raises big concerns of whether going forward, there are others in the squad that should be getting more prominence going forward than what he currently is.

That's all. Everyone is overjoyed with the way things are going this season, and that is reflected in the vast bulk of comments on here. That doesn't mean that anything negative can't be debated though. Just my opinion

Top post.
  • Options
    you can only have a scapegoat if there is someone to blame

the club or the team have done nothing wrong this year ..we are blameless

however re Jason ,SCP is doing exactly what Curbs did when he brought him back ,he is bringing back a good senior pro not just for his ability but for his influence off the pitch too

No Jason isnt the player he used to be but he ll never give up trying for the team and earning his money ,hes a good pro and a good example

• Options
    Ah, how fickle we football supporters are :-0
  • Options
    Euell never be the same . ;) but a true charlton Ledgend ! No need for the booing, how demoralizing for Euell ! .
  • Options
    Euell never be the same . ;) but a true charlton Ledgend ! No need for the booing, how demoralizing for Euell ! .

There was no booing. Jeez. Euell has had nothing but total support from the attending fans. He's had more support & songs than possibly everyone apart from Jackson.
  • Options

I don't think there is a problem commenting on an individual's performance in a particular game. What I have a problem with is people extrapolating that performance as a critique for attacking his very reason to be at the club, especially when I suspect that the criticism is based on their own pre-existing view about the player and whether it was right to sign him.

I also wonder about reading too much into a "one off" start for a player who needs match sharpness. Look at Hughes who was the subject of major criticism for a cup performance who now is part of the current team who have won 4 out of 4 in the League.

Many on here thought that Jason was past it before he kicked a ball for us when he re-joined and said so. For some, because they had fond memories of his earlier time and feared for him, others voiced worries it but hoped he still brought something positive to the squad. So when he doesn't play well its open season to bemoan the decision to have signed and played him. 

Some on here bemoaned the signing of CP as a manager because of his lack of managerial expertise (and because they feared an idol may become fallen).  Many who thought he might be too inexperienced raised a concern but hoped for the best. When the team failed to sparkle last season, those who were concerned then put flesh on the bones of their concerns, and there were calls for him to be removed. Not many are doing that now. 

I look at this differently. It was important for some players around the edge of the team to get in 90 minutes for match fitness apart from anything else and its extra important for a player of Jason's age. His touch won't be sharp without playing. The only real way to do this is to get him some time on the pitch. He got that yesterday against an opposition which we took seriously enough but with a strong enough team to allow Jason the run out he needed.

Job done on both counts.

I was one who was against bringing JE back to have any part of our 1st team squad. I was also against appointing CP due to the lack of experience & last season convinced me that I was probably not wrong in my assessment. I was wary of the hughes signing thru what I had heard plus his age but was willing to give him a chance but feared the worst after his cup display.

CP despite a few dodgy substitutions has far far exceeded any expectation I had for this season. Hughes has come into the team & has to me become a very important player mopping things up & playing simple balls to better placed colleagues.

If Jason Euell had been introduced as a sub & shown some value to the team I would have said fair enough but where as I have had to hold my hands up re the other two unfortunately JE has done nothing to make me change my mind. I would have been happy to be proved wrong but my eyes tell me I'm not. Perhaps some of you should take off your rose tinted glasses & open yours.

• Options
    Did anyone actually boo him though??
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Did anyone actually boo him though??

Yes this was confusing......there was definately some booing as he came off, though judging by the volume and clarity due to the proximity of the sound mikes, I'm 99% certain it came from Halifax fans.

Did they feel he was instrumental in the sending off of their player a few minutes earlier....I can only think it was that?

The Charlton fans were 'definately' singing a chant for him....it wasn't overly enthusiastic it has to be said  but it was certainly pro Jason Euell and I'm as certain as I can be (from someone who wasn't there that is)  that no Addicks booed his substitution..

• Options

"I don't think the behaviour you see on here will be any different from any other football forum in terms of how posters praise and criticise players. A couple of years ago i would have quite confidently have argued that the standard here was consistently above that of other similar forums, nowadays, despite best efforts, i would not feel confident arguing that fact"

Notice anything that's not the same today as it was a few years ago which might affect how much fans complain?

• Options
    On Facebook (I know, very sad) Euell confirmed that it was the Halifax fans who booed him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've only been posting on here for 18 months so it can't be me. Can it? 
  • Options
    99% (including me) on here think Jason Euell is a terrific bloke, great attitude and we have no problem with him but expect him to gradually slip out of the first team picture this year, as i should think so does he and CP. Nobody is going to boo him because everybody is delighted with what is happening this year. There is no scapegoat campaign but there is always room for improvement in all squads and there is no doubt that a fourth striker who can offer something different will be an improvement and that, i believe, is it in a nutshell.
  • Options

Notice anything that's not the same today as it was a few years ago which might affect how much fans complain?

Good question @DRF

I could think of probably half a dozen small reasons, but not one main one that stands out. Am I missing something obvious ?
  • Options
    are doctors handing out less anti depressants?
  • Options
    On Facebook (I know, very sad) Euell confirmed that it was the Halifax fans who booed him.
    Was it due to a South Yorkshire / West Yorkshire rivalry - harking back to Jason playing for Donny Rovers last season?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Was it due to a South Yorkshire / West Yorkshire rivalry - harking back to Jason playing for Donny Rovers last season?

Good shout Curb_it...hadn't thought of that.

I know one or two players surrounded their player that was sent off .....thought maybe Jason was right in there digging the guy out and maybe they thought he might have been trying to influence the ref...not sure about that though......I think you're observation is the more likely.

• Options

Good question @DRF

I could think of probably half a dozen small reasons, but not one main one that stands out. Am I missing something obvious ?

Mid table premiership to mid table league one (at the end of last season)?

Year on year fans have predicted a higher finish than the team achieved. In the recent months the club is finally beginning to live up to (and perhaps exceed some) expectations, and if the season ends this well I suspect the complaining will ease off.

Surely under performing against expectation is always going to generate more complaining than achieving or exceeding expectations.?

• Options

Good question @DRF

Mid table premiership to mid table league one (at the end of last season)?

Year on year fans have predicted a higher finish than the team achieved. In the recent months the club is finally beginning to live up to (and perhaps exceed some) expectations, and if the season ends this well I suspect the complaining will ease off.

Surely under performing against expectation is always going to generate more complaining than achieving or exceeding expectations.?

And during that time there were plenty of posters who could complain if you were 100% positive on what was occurring!
  • Options
    So is Plaaayer our scapegoat when it comes to Charlton supporters' fashion?!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    simon francis of the fashion industry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who booed him?

Find the holier than thou attitude towards any criticism levelled at players pretty annoying to be honest.

People have said on an internet forum that he had a stinker yesterday. He did. No one abused him at the game. I heard his name being sung so quite the opposite.

On the 'respect' thread someone said the 'you're shit and you know you are' chant was not aimed at Halifax but at Jason. I wasn't there, only heard it on the telly, but someone who was there may have asked the question as to who it was aimed at before joining in/not joining in, and would be able to put us all right.
  • Options
    who would they have asked, the composer?