Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IPAD

2»

Comments

• Options
    Question - If you have an iPhone, can you use the Apps you've already bought on an iPad if they are synced to the same Mac?
  • Options
    Yeah you can BDL. If they are not iPad specific of course.

My apps are shared across 2 iPhones and an iPad.
  • Options
    Yeah you can BDL. If they are not iPad specific of course.

My apps are shared across 2 iPhones and an iPad.
    Excellent ;-)
  • Options
    I think I read somewhere that five devices is the limit. With the advent of iCloud you can sync different calenders to each device too. You might have been able to do that before I'm not sure but you certainly can now.
  • Options
    One thing to mention with iCloud is to turn off the calendar/contact syncing with a mail account that doesn't use those features (like my sky account). It is set to default to sync, so turn it off otherwise your battery takes a massive hammering as your device is constantly searching for stuff that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    One thing to mention with iCloud is to turn off the calendar/contact syncing with a mail account that doesn't use those features (like my sky account). It is set to default to sync, so turn it off otherwise your battery takes a massive hammering as your device is constantly searching for stuff that doesn't exist.
    I'm not sure I understand that, but as I don't have a Sky account I'm not sure it really matters.
  • Options
    I think it's only an issue with some mail accounts.. Since iOS 5 I was noticing that my battery would die in about 10 hours even on standby and no notifications. A bit of digging alerted me to iCloud syncing.
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance, see other thread about wanting a cheap laptop, but what are the pros and cons of an ipad compared to a laptop? Particularly for someone that has a "normal" life, uses a computer at work every day so just wants to have something to occasionally surf the internet, send emails and wind people up on Charlton Life with? 

iPads seem a bit OTT pricey to me, simply for something that "looks good" or is "tactile". (FFS, do some people REALLY treat it like a fashion accessory? Sad.)

Cheers
    I'm not being convinced here. Seems as though "experience" and the "cool" factor is the main reason for buying. Say what you want about apple, b ut they know how to market to their target punters.
  • Options
    iPad never freezes. Super fast and so much more convenient than using a mouse and laptop. No comparison for general browsing and media. If you want to do serious stuff then don't get an iPad but it was never meant for serious work.
  • Options
    It's a useful gadget, no more no less. I really don't see the problem with using a mouse, but this slidy screen thing is quick. No way would I pay the kind of money they are asking though. Luckily the one I am writing this on was a present...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the idea of the iPad, but £400 is just crazy. You can get a decent laptop, or a very very decent desktop PC for similar money. I was tempted by the Asus EeePad Transformer. After looking at all the different pads in the shops it was the one I liked the most (more so than the iPad), but the cheapest price I could find of around £320 is still more than I'd be willing to pay for this sort of gadget.

In the end I got a HP Touchpad for £175 (still loads of brand new ones on ebay around that sort of price). Missed out on the £89 fire-sale, but pretty happy. Certainly feel the price/functionality is a better match. Now the touchpad runs WebOS, which is officially an orphan, so not a huge number of apps (though more than I expected) and obviously ongoing support is going to be problematic. However, with the Android 4 source-code released just a couple of weeks ago, I expect to see a full android port early in the new year, at which time I'll probably install that.

For now, it's fantastic for web browsing, email, facebook, kindle and iplayer (no iplayer app, but it supports flash, and works great for watching TV). Only thing I wish it had that it currently doesn't is sky go. The web version of that needs Silverlight (that's gotta change soon, Microsoft are ditching silverlight for web) and there's no app available for WebOS.
  • Options

Slightly off topic but iPad/Tablet related question - is there hardware available to record from tv (Sky/Virgin) onto a hard drive and easily convert it to watch on iPad or a tablet?

I don't wanna pay to download things from Itunes store/android market so wondered if there is a way to get free content that doesnt take ages to download, convert to MP4 and then upload onto the ipad/tab to watch 'offline'.

Also is it possible to download the highlights on Player to watch later 'offline'?

I'm getting the Asus Transformer Prime when it comes out and it has a USB slot so I'm hoping to be able to load content on it pretty easily

• Options
    The USB socket on the sky box doesn't do anything, it's marked "for future use" by Sky.

So there's only 1 way to get content off your sky box, via a video/tv cable. Now your options there are to a output that to a DVD recorder, and then use some free software to rip the DVD into a video format suitable for a tablet. The other option is to get a video capture card for your pc, plus the sky box directly into the pc and then capture the video in a suitable format.

Either way, you'll have to play the content on the sky box at normal speed, so going to be a fairly slow, manual process.
  • Options
    has anyone bought a blackberry playbook?

seems they are likely to be the next one to be massively reduced , being knocked down to $200 in the states
  • Options
    The 16gb iPad 2 is down today £368, as. Apple have a 1 day sale.
  • Options
    Personally think the Asus Transformer at £299 from comet is a better deal
  • Options
    just got one today. when i plug it in itunes recognises its connected on the left hand side. i click continue to register ipad but it gets stuck loading on the iTunes store? Any urgent help would be great!
  • Options
    My iTunes on pc at work has been similarly knackered for weeks now, works fine on a fresh build machine though
  • Options
    has anyone bought a blackberry playbook?

seems they are likely to be the next one to be massively reduced , being knocked down to $200 in the states

I have one, I got it as a freebie from RIM on a work junket, nothing special I have to say.

The iPad shits all over it.

• Options
    The iPad is very very nice. Any Apps suggestions please?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011