Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield - A Terriers eye view

edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Morning Addicks,

So, the top two in our division go head to head next week. What's the honest and realistic views of your lot then on the outcome of the game?? Unbeaten runs aside, the two best teams in the league bar none, will something give?? Your fans have always been good for banter for years and I look forward to another trip to London Town next week. I seem to remember a cold and icy night at our ground about 15 years ago when Lee Bowyer scored his second to come from 2-0 down, he went to celebrate in front of your fans and one tit came running towards him and slipped on his arse and nearly took Bowyer out with him. A great moment and I've liked you lot ever since as we always seem to have good battles. Anyway, hopefully see you all next week. Here's to a good game, and good luck for the rest of the season. UTT!!

Comments

• Options
    Think you will find it was Mark Robson and not Lee Bowyer
  • Options
    Thats right we are  pure comedy. That bloke does it every game. He's such a laugh! ;o)

Thanks for the message, I think its the most anticipated game of the season, shame its on Sky because like it or not it will affect the attendance and atmosphere.

As far as results go, if we play like we did on Saturday, having read the reports, you will win, but if we play as we have most of the season then a good hiding is coming your way!

Have a great day out and the glowing stuff you will see are called electric lights! ;o)
  • Options

yes that tit is a good friend of mine who ended up in the nick with us picking him up after the game.This will be a good test for us as we haven't had any enforced changes, but in the last couple of weeks 2 players are now out with injuries, it will show if we do have a squad good enough to cope.

I was just wondering after watching the football league programme whether all your energy's have been put into beating Forest's record, and whether there will be a anti-climax in the next match.

Shames its been moved to Monday on the box because we are shite live on sky

• Options
    The whole day was a comical day NSS.............
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    there are echoes of Christmas 1999 in this game, Huddersfield on a long unbeaten run, game on Sky, and a result that proved to be season-defining for the victors.
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/charlton/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/99/12/28/SOCCER_Huddersfield_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=charlton&DIV=prem&TEAM=CHARLTON--ATHLETIC&RH=Charlton--Athletic&PREV_SEASON=1998&BID=
  • Options
    The whole day was a comical day NSS.............
    One of our very best mate, singing with the male voice choir in the boozer on the moors coming home QUALITY
  • Options
    Remember that game well for some reason. Our coach up there was well early so we got routed to a cracking pub about 20 miles outside Huddersfield.

League was sponsored by Endsleigh at the time and we came up in the pub with a rework to Wonderwall that finished 'and maybe, we're going on up from Endsleigh, and after all, who the f**k's Millwall'.

Also remember the bloke running on the pitch and slipping. Sure it was one of NSS's minibus lot. Think Mark Robson scored as well.

Cracking midweek away.
  • Options
    NSS wonder if that bloke has come out of the toilet yet from the first pub
  • Options

Well I'm glad you all had a good time on that night!

That bit on the football league show didn't do us too many favours cos it made out we were desperate for that record and thats all we were interested in. I also didn't like the celebrations at the end, a bit too promotion like if you ask me. Records are good but they mean nowt if we don't go up.

We won't play for a point which i think a lot of you will be thinking. We play better against the good sides and there will be more pressure on you than us, with you being at home and 5 points clear. I'm going for a 2-2 draw and a good battle. Am I right in thinking your captain has pulled his hammy? Can only be good for us

• Options
    I think the pressure will be on you guys more. If we lose we still have a nice 2 point gap. You lose and we are really starting to pull away. We can kinda afford to lose, can you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the pressure will be on you guys more. If we lose we still have a nice 2 point gap. You lose and we are really starting to pull away. We can kinda afford to lose, can you?
    I like it Stu, messing with their heads already, mind games at its best :-)
  • Options

Is there really more pressure on us ? Of course there is additional pressure playing at home, but if we lose and we're still clear at the top. You lose and eight points is a long way back, plus you lose your unbeaten record.

As much as I hate to say it, I think both teams would probably settle for a point whether we like it or not.

• Options
    Welcome to the site btw Townterrier.

We welcome all decent away fans on here and appreciate them inputting different views. The Town fans we get on here have always come accross well.
  • Options

Is there really more pressure on us ? Of course there is additional pressure playing at home, but if we lose and we're still clear at the top. You lose and eight points is a long way back, plus you lose your unbeaten record.

As much as I hate to say it, I think both teams would probably settle for a point whether we like it or not.

If Wednesday drop points on Saturday against Orient (which I doubt) a draw will be good for both sides. If Wednesday win on Saturday Hudds come to us on Monday in 3rd place.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    going much further back i saw us win at the Leeds Rd ground 3  v  1  when we ended up carrying 3 people to the ground who had fell "asleep" in the boozer in manchester ! I think the home end in those days was called The Cow Shed.
  • Options

Morning Addicks,

So, the top two in our division go head to head next week. What's the honest and realistic views of your lot then on the outcome of the game?? Unbeaten runs aside, the two best teams in the league bar none, will something give?? Your fans have always been good for banter for years and I look forward to another trip to London Town next week. I seem to remember a cold and icy night at our ground about 15 years ago when Lee Bowyer scored his second to come from 2-0 down, he went to celebrate in front of your fans and one tit came running towards him and slipped on his arse and nearly took Bowyer out with him. A great moment and I've liked you lot ever since as we always seem to have good battles. Anyway, hopefully see you all next week. Here's to a good game, and good luck for the rest of the season. UTT!!

That was a certain chap of cartoon character nickname of 3 letters

• Options
    It was the highlight of the 'season highlights' video.
  • Options

Welcome TT.

Agree with your 2-2; neither team playing for a draw but the best opposition both will have faced this season. Thought we'd be the top two before a ball was kicked, with you top if I'm honest, having done all your prep last season. Didn't see any of the relegated three posing a big threat, but can we both see off Weds?

With the club funding travel (where did they get that idea?!) how many are you bringing? You've always had a vg away following relative to the size of the club, and always sing, so should be a great atmosphere, even with Sky. If Jacko is out with his hamstring it'll mean a slightly different pattern to our play, maybe with a more orthodox left winger. Other than Rhodes, who should we look out for most at the moment?

Enjoy. Here's to the table staying as it is right now!

• Options
    Sadly going to miss it, got some market research in London paying nearly £100 for 2 hours work, so cant turn it down.
  • Options
    TownTerrier

Can you get the guy who does these to do one for the big match?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huddersfield don't need to worry about Wendys as they'll miss the boat this week by slipping up against the O's on sat. You heard it here first.
  • Options

I still say this was the best game between the sides from a Charlton fans blog

Huddersfield will now face us in as important a fixture as the one on 4th April 1981 when they temporarily halted our promotion push at the Valley with a 2-1 win. We took ultimate revenge that season by going up and pipping them to the third place spot. We lost the next three games after that before steadying the ship and securing the five points (two for a win) we needed from the last three games. Know your place Huddersfield!

the Valley was the only ground I remember going to, before all the new grounds and redevelopments, that could match the side terrace at Leeds Road for size, though it had no roof. And it was unusual in such a big ground to have a main stand that didnt span the length of the touchline, in a third/fourth division type of way

• Options
    edited November 2011

I suspect there will be slightly more pressure on Huddersfield as if we win a real gap will develop - could also mean them falling out of the top two depending on how Wednesday get on at home to Orient. I also think both sets of players will be relishing this game - confidence is so high with ours after 5 consecutive victories that you can imagine they will be itching to beat the Terriers and they will know they are good enough to.

Of course we shouldn't forget that whatever the outcome-promotion won't be decided by this game but I know I'm tempting fate but our next six fixtures after this are on paper very winnable! Win them and beat Huddersfield and it is going to take a disaster of biblical proportions to stop us.

• Options
    TownTerrier

Can you get the guy who does these to do one for the big match?
    He has done about 3 already this season after not doing any for a while, so its possible
  • Options
    Well, I reckon we can both quite easily see off Wednesday. Megson has come out and said they are clinging to the coat tails of the big spenders in the division Charlton and Hudds. So he's already getting his excuses ready for the inevitable failure. Their home form is good yes, but that will surely peeter out over christmas. I'd be very suprised if it wasn't still us in the top 2 come May. And as for the club funding travel, I think we got to that one first!! They announced it about a fortnight before the FA Cup first round draw. Whoever was first, its a good gesture from both clubs as these TV games at stupid times just kill off any decent away support. You bought about 350-400 to Halifax am I right?? I admire that cos halifax is a dump. And thats with the free travel, you could halve that if they didnt do that gesture. We'll bring about 500 on monday i reckon and I thing that will be fairly respectable for the day and time.
  • Options
    We'll bring about 500 on monday i reckon and I thing that will be fairly respectable for the day and time.
    Is that all you take awaaaay, is that all you take away :-)
  • Options

Town Terrier, we will be fine Wednesday have just got Llera in on loan.

We'll both be 10 points clear of 3rd place by Christmas.

I was at that midweek game in the mid 90's, cracking night, found a nice pub on the road from the M1, actually had a decent sized noisy support up there in the days when we were getting 8000.

Jacko will be a big miss for us, second only to BWP but I fancy us for a narrow 2-1 win on Monday.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Well, I reckon we can both quite easily see off Wednesday. Megson has come out and said they are clinging to the coat tails of the big spenders in the division Charlton and Hudds. So he's already getting his excuses ready for the inevitable failure. Their home form is good yes, but that will surely peeter out over christmas. I'd be very suprised if it wasn't still us in the top 2 come May. And as for the club funding travel, I think we got to that one first!! They announced it about a fortnight before the FA Cup first round draw. Whoever was first, its a good gesture from both clubs as these TV games at stupid times just kill off any decent away support. You bought about 350-400 to Halifax am I right?? I admire that cos halifax is a dump. And thats with the free travel, you could halve that if they didnt do that gesture. We'll bring about 500 on monday i reckon and I thing that will be fairly respectable for the day and time.
    Its a pity you won't bring more than 500. Not a criticism, but 1,000 or more would have made for the atmosphere this fixture deserves. Well Sky shafted me too, had it pencilled in several weeks ago for a weekend over until they intervened, so its a Prague pub for me.
    I'm looking forward to comparing the two best strikers in the division, both on top form. 
    I'll take a draw because that'll keep us 5 ahead of you, and I think we are both too strong for the Sheffield mobs.
    But it's got all the makings of a massive game at this level, gutted to miss it.
    Is Alan Lee a big absence? JJ is for us, no doubt about it, but we have decent options, even if I think its a bit early for the new QPR loanee to start.
    Will you, can you, hang onto Jordan Rhodes in the transfer window? You might ask us the same about BWP, but BWP has a dodgier injury record. If I was a prem or top Champ side, I'd be going for Rhodes first, for that reason.
  • Options
    edited November 2011