Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe/Burnley

Looking at the Championship table Burnley now sit 4th from bottom following another defeat last night, seems Eddie Howe is not the messiah a lot of us thought he was.

Will he still be in the job come the new year??

Comments

• I was pleased we did not get him at the time, although i did want Gary Johnson.
  • I bet he is wishing he made other decisions. He took over a Burnley squad that came down from Prem, a bit like us, players on high wages etc and not much room to change things around due to budget implications. I cant see him lasting especially when all the money runs out!!! 

• Might still work for him IF he's given time - not common these days. All that good work at Bournemouth can't have been a fluke. I too thought Gary Johnson might've been a good choice for us but look what's happened to him. Curbs is out of work (albeit partly of his own volition) while the smug git who played a large part in our downfall before screwing us for his extra million is touted as a possible England boss. You never can tell. 
  • I would have thought that they would have a relatively small wage bill with just one season in the Premier League. Also with the new parachute payments they should be able to compete at he top of the division.

Maybe Howe will find his feet but maybe he is more suited to bringing players though than buying in success.

As he messed us around I am more than happy for him to fail at Burnley, but I'm not really all that bothered either way. I am glad he didn't join us though now.
  • Unless theyre bottom 2 i dont see him getting sacked and Unless Laws resigned theyre still paying him off
  • edited November 2011
    Eddie Howe may have done the same job as Chris Powell if he'd been appointed instead , with the squad we now have (we'll never know) , but i'm really pleased we didn't get him, and got Chris Powell instead.

He has a genuine love for the club which Howe wouldn't have , and wants us to do well , and get back to the top table ,  a high risk appointment by the board initially, given his lack of managerial experience , but Chris has been in the game a long time and worked with some top Managers  , i haven't been this happy in years as a charlton fan , i'm pleased the board didn't pull the trigger when we went on our dodgy run , at the back end of last season , they knew what was going to happen with the playing squad in the Summer , & it will be interesting to see if they continue to invest in January, with next season in mind, its all about bringing in the right players , players with ability and the right mentality, which is what i think we have lacked in recent years up to now.
  • Totally agree with that..............I did have my doubts at times during the dodgy run, but I havent been this happy in years...probably since the Champions run around 2000.
  • Had my doubts too over CP's appointment but it just shows what a little patience can provide. Having chosen him, it would've been absolute madness to panic and pull the trigger. Results alone didn't reveal the thinking going on behind the scenes and the plans for the summer. The spell towards the end of last season enabled him to see exactly who was worth keeping before the essential summer clear out.

We're now blessed with a manager who's intelligence is matched by his pasion for our club. His astute signings so far merit further backing when he feels he needs it and an encouraging bond appears to be forming between him and the owners. His comments re. Ephraim potentially being around for longer than the initial loan period also bode well in terms of forward planning, should the stated one aim be achieved.

• Never doubted scp I bought into what he wanted to do u could see he wanted to play football acnd that the squad couldn't that we had

• Sponsored links:

• Never doubted scp I bought into what he wanted to do u could see he wanted to play football acnd that the squad couldn't that we had

Well i for one could never see that he wanted his side to play football & in spite of how fantastically well we have done so far this year & the exciting football we mainly play I still can't get my head around how often Hamer aimlessly hoofs the ball forward to no-one in particular. Why doesn't he throw it to a defender .......or is it that the defenders don't move into space ? I bit of both I think.

Being top of the league 7 points clear of play offs maybe I'm scratching the barrel of complaints here ? ;-)

• Really suprised Howe didn't swoop for Hollands and Wiggins in the summer.
    Both wanted to come back to London i believe.
  • edited November 2011
    Got to be honest Charltonbob I have not noticed Hamer's distribution to be any worse than past Charlton keepers and that includes Deano! I stated earlier on this season that he is a footballing goalkeeper and by that I mean he is a frustrated outfield player! He can trap a ball dribble it and bring it down with his feet comfortably; how many other keepers at league one level have you seen do that? Whether he finds one of our players with a clearance every time is another matter but maybe he is playing to instructions at certain times in certain games to launch it. You certainly are scratching the barrel of complaints here but hey its your opinion. COYR
    Both wanted to come back to London i believe.
    bloody hell, we are a bigger Club than Burnley and have you ever been to Burnley ?
    As Large says, asking a southern-based player to choose between London and Burnley is a tough challenge to say the least.
    As Large says, asking a southern-based player to choose between London and Burnley is a tough challenge to say the least.
    I think it would be a tough choice for a Kandahar based player. Kandahar or Burnley, one a place with no hope for the future, riven by factional infighting the other in Afghanistan.
  •  I still can't get my head around how often Hamer aimlessly hoofs the ball forward to no-one in particular. Why doesn't he throw it to a defender .......or is it that the defenders don't move into space ? I bit of both I think.
    Hamer's distribution is fantastic, by far the best part of his game. He rarely misses his man and if it doesn't end up with one of our's it's more likely the receiving player's fault than Hamer's. Not quite sure where you're getting that he randomly hoofs it
    I think it would be a tough choice for a Kandahar based player. Kandahar or Burnley, one a place with no hope for the future, riven by factional infighting the other in Afghanistan.
    lol. nice. hope burnley get the snub from farshad deinfidel.
  • edited November 2011
    Hamer's distribution is fantastic, by far the best part of his game. He rarely misses his man and if it doesn't end up with one of our's it's more likely the receiving player's fault than Hamer's. Not quite sure where you're getting that he randomly hoofs it

Erm I open my eyes ? Rarely are one of our front players free in acres of space so every punt forward is a gamble. Far better to throw it out & build from the back, We have the players to do it why play a 50/50 ball when we can keep possession ?

I really can't believe that you're saying his distribution is more impressive than his shot stopping ? Do you go to games ?

• Sponsored links:

• Going back to Bournemouth so i've been told.
  • Why would he do that? Even if Burnley allowed it which I'm not sure they would why would he want to?
  • Why would he do that? Even if Burnley allowed it which I'm not sure they would why would he want to?

Wealthy Russian Owners I believe.
  • Eddie Mitchell's charisma works wonders?

Been rumoured for a few days down here but not sure it's the best idea. Never go back and all that...
  • Another rumour is that Burnley are going to sack him anyway.
  • Coyle back to Burnley if the above happens? Would be quite funny if it did.
  • Strange decision although Howe appears to be the only person that can get on with Mitchell.
  • Strange one but as much as I wanted him here he has looked out of his comfort zone/depth at Burnley. Would Burnley have Coyle back? Over their dead whippets they despise him now.
  • Be a bit like Parker or Murphy coming back to us?
  • Yes... if Parker wasn't actually any good