Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton on Football Focus...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Here's a question kap

When will the interviews stop containing the bloody obvious , I can see he is black so can you isn't that enough to provide the positive black role model .

It is getting beyond a joke that it keeps getting mentioned that he is black

I am sure he knows he is black as do most people just from looking at him

In my humble opinion the sooner that his colour stops becoming as important as his record is the moment scp wins

And so does every other black coach and footballer,
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Here's a question kap

When will the interviews stop containing the bloody obvious , 
    When journalists become more creative or there are more managers that happen to be black.

the sooner that his colour stops becoming as important as his record is the moment scp wins

And so does every other black coach and footballer,
    Agreed
  • Options
    They could have said that he was the only black English manager. As the other Chris isn't.
  • Options

OMG Chris Powell is black?!?!?!

Thank you media for pointing this out

• Options
    dammit just deleted the darn show
  • Options
    No, but I can download the English TV programs using Torrents onto my laptop. Got it from there.
    you couldn't message me a link could you please?
  • Options
    No, but I can download the English TV programs using Torrents onto my laptop. Got it from there.
    you couldn't message me a link could you please?
    Ditto.
  • Options
    I just find it incredibly odd that when CP was playing, everyone just knew him as a great full back and a terrific guy. Never once did I hear his colour mentioned.
  • Options
    I just find it incredibly odd that when CP was playing, everyone just knew him as a great full back and a terrific guy. Never once did I hear his colour mentioned.
    He was one of many, now he;s one of two.
  • Options
    I find it annoying that a thread about our coverage in the media has descended into a debate about race.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

it was one question at the end that was then followed up in the studio.  For us fans his achievements are the interesting point, for the BBC journos who rarely even think about us another angle was needed.  Any difference will be highlighted.  

I was much more interested in the rest of what he said which hardly anyone has mentioned.

His colour shouldn't matter, it matters less now that it did 20 or 30 years ago but it still matters.

• Options

summary pls henners

:D

• Options
    And that's the whole point henners , he said some real positive stuff, he mentioned learning from top mgrs and his philosophy on the game , his point about Monday nights game was spot on

Yet ud we are talking about his colour you can bet your arse others are
  • Options
    jeez this is  CL just ignore the stuff you don't like :)
  • Options
    It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white.  What matters is if it can catch mice....

Deng Xiaoping
  • Options
    Never thought of the man as black, just 'Red and White through and through.

• Options
    Back to what else was said for those who didn't see it (from memory):

You must be pleased with BWP? Don't like talking about individual players, but 14 from 17 is something.  Always important to have goalscorers.
    Will Mon game define the season?  No - of course not, it's only the 19th out of 46
    I love this club
    Alex says I'm turning into Curbs
    Learnt a lot from all the managers I worked under - especially Curbs and also Nigel Pearson - did what we have to do - won League 1 at Leicester

He seemed very relaxed with Brighty - in fact they both seemed a bit embarrased re the colour question at the end.

• Options
    It's an important discussion, of course it is but he is never going to change his answer whether he gets asked once or 100 times.

All that matters is that he is Chris Powell, Charlton Manager.

Once they said the same thing about black players who played professionally, now it isn't an issue.

Then they said the same thing about black players who played for England, now it isn't an issue.

If there were more black managers then it wouldn't be an issue, until then I'm happy that it continues to be highlighted.

• Options
    CP came across very well, adding to the comments about Curbs he also said curbs would laugh that he (CP) was becoming like Curbs.

Most relaxed I have seen CP since he took over.
  • Options

Chris Powell is one of the first Black Managers in the UK and one of the few successful ones (in professional footy anyway).  Hardly surprising that outside of Charlton that is one of the main reasons for the focus on him.  I am just happy that :

a) Charlton get some media coverage

B) we gave him his chance (irrespective of colour - purely because he is a legend) and

c) he has become successful and will be an excellent role model

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white.  What matters is if it can catch mice....

Deng Xiaoping
    “Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war and until there are no longer first-class and second-class citizens of any nation, until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes. And until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race, there is war. And until that day, the dream of lasting peace, world citizenship, rule of international morality, will remain but a fleeting illusion to be pursued, but never attained... now everywhere is war."
    Haile Selassie I 

Jah No Dead
  • Options
    Still not on iPlayer.....they're not going to bother putting it on are they?

Tossers!
  • Options
    Still not on iPlayer.....they're not going to bother putting it on are they?

Tossers!
    Given that it is Gary Speeds last appearance they may not put it on there, or may hold back as a mark of respect.