Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Suicide

Comments

• Options
    I have nothing to say except that I wonder what all these revelations say about modern day society.

Would so many people have stories like these if we were discussing it a hundred years ago?
    Was thinking exactly the same thing myself. Modern living brings a lot of expectation and pressure. Some of us don't seem to be able to cope with it.
  • Options
    I was already feeling quite emotional when I heard the news about Garry speed on Sunday morning RIP.

My girlfriend gave birth to our daughter on Saturday morning at 02:48, but unfortunately she died. It's a tough time for us now, but i can't imagine wanting to end my life, because I value it so much , and that of the people I love. In a professional capacity I am involved in assessing the mental health of suicidal people, often when they are picked ip by police. The key thing that most people contemplating suicide dong realise is how big an impact suicide has on those left behind. I never judge anyone for wanting to end their life. sometimes people of sound mind want to end their lives, it's just that they don't see things ever getting better.
  • Options
    Heart goes out to you and your girlfriend, Prince -e- Paul - so sad to hear that and some of the other stories on this thread.  Stay as strong as you can, everyone. 
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    So, so sorry to hear that PEP.

Absolutely terrible news. Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

• Options
    I was already feeling quite emotional when I heard the news about Garry speed on Sunday morning RIP. My girlfriend gave birth to our daughter on Saturday morning at 02:48, but unfortunately she died. It's a tough time for us now, but i can't imagine wanting to end my life, because I value it so much , and that of the people I love. In a professional capacity I am involved in assessing the mental health of suicidal people, often when they are picked ip by police. The key thing that most people contemplating suicide dong realise is how big an impact suicide has on those left behind. I never judge anyone for wanting to end their life. sometimes people of sound mind want to end their lives, it's just that they don't see things ever getting better.
    god bless you, your girlfiend and your daughter.
  • Options
    I am truly sorry to here that tragic news PEP. My condolences and best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    I was already feeling quite emotional when I heard the news about Garry speed on Sunday morning RIP.

My girlfriend gave birth to our daughter on Saturday morning at 02:48, but unfortunately she died.
    Oh shit. I'm so, so sorry. I can't think of anything to say that won't sound horribly trite, but has anyone pointed you towards SANDS? http://www.uk-sands.org/Support/Overview.html
  • Options
    PEP sorry to hear about your loss.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that PEP. I know it may sound trite, but if there is anything any of us can do, please just ask
  • Options

My girlfriend gave birth to our daughter on Saturday morning at 02:48, but unfortunately she died. It's a tough time for us now, but i can't imagine wanting to end my life, because I value it so much , and that of the people I love. In a professional capacity I am involved in assessing the mental health of suicidal people, often when they are picked ip by police. The key thing that most people contemplating suicide dong realise is how big an impact suicide has on those left behind. I never judge anyone for wanting to end their life. sometimes people of sound mind want to end their lives, it's just that they don't see things ever getting better.

I'm so sorry to hear this. my thoughts are with you both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Sorry to hear your news PEP

• Options
    All the best PEP.
  • Options

So sorry, couldn't even start to imagine what you, your girlfriend and your families are going through right now. sincere condolences. God bless you all and your beautiful sleeping angel.
  • Options
    Thoughts are with you PEP
  • Options
    My thoughts are with you and your family PEP

• Options

This thread just gets more sad and upsetting by the day :(

Sorry to hear that PEP. I cant imagine what you are going through right now, stay strong.

• Options
    My condolences PEP.
  • Options
    I feel for you PEP and your partner.  So sad.
  • Options
    I have nothing to say except that I wonder what all these revelations say about modern day society.

Would so many people have stories like these if we were discussing it a hundred years ago?
    Was thinking exactly the same thing myself. Modern living brings a lot of expectation and pressure. Some of us don't seem to be able to cope with it.
    There were pressures 100 years ago and people committed suicide.  There were also mental institutions.

I don't think 21st century life is uniquely stressful, just different.  Just look at the "shell shock" cases from World War One.

Mental illness has existed for many, many years but now we know a bit more about it (we no longer bleed people, blame it on demons or give them electric shock treatment) and so people are more willing to be honest and open about it.  100 years ago people were more likely to suffer in silence or use drink rather then turn to counselling.
  • Options

I have been very affected by this thread after all we all have our own demons to some extent or another I suffer from a form of OCD which at times gives me no peace thankfully it has never driven me to such an extreme action. I hate this idea that people who commit suicide are cowards it is so judgemental. Certainly they leave people behind who are bereft and confused but I cannot imagine how desperate you have to be to take such an action.

Quite often severely depressed people hide it very well and the first time anyone realises it is when they take their own life and then we all sit around and say "Why?" I am fortunate is so far that I have never been close to anyone who has done this although years ago a guy I knew a little jumped under a train at Kidbrooke Station, so I cannot understand what effect it can have on those left behind.

Like all posters it has taken a tragedy of this scale to allow people to open up and if that is a small piece of good to come out of this very sad situation then Gary Speeds untimely death is not totally in vain.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was already feeling quite emotional when I heard the news about Garry speed on Sunday morning RIP. My girlfriend gave birth to our daughter on Saturday morning at 02:48, but unfortunately she died. It's a tough time for us now, but i can't imagine wanting to end my life, because I value it so much , and that of the people I love. In a professional capacity I am involved in assessing the mental health of suicidal people, often when they are picked ip by police. The key thing that most people contemplating suicide dong realise is how big an impact suicide has on those left behind. I never judge anyone for wanting to end their life. sometimes people of sound mind want to end their lives, it's just that they don't see things ever getting better.

I feel for you.

I don't know what else to say.

• Options

There were pressures 100 years ago and people committed suicide.  There were also mental institutions.

I don't think 21st century life is uniquely stressful, just different.  Just look at the "shell shock" cases from World War One.

Mental illness has existed for many, many years but now we know a bit more about it (we no longer bleed people, blame it on demons or give them electric shock treatment) and so people are more willing to be honest and open about it.  100 years ago people were more likely to suffer in silence or use drink rather then turn to counselling.
    I disagree. Modern life provides added pressures which have been manufactured by society. Mental illness is one thing but lifestyle is a contributary factor to further pressures which can and has lead more people to the brink. Life 100 years ago wasn't easy but options in life were limited and you focused on what you had and not what you could have.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    So 100 years ago the pressures included no social security, no job security, no free health care, disease far more likely to kill or maim you, high infant death rates, no toleration of illegitimacy or homosexuality, the work house, limited old age pensions, poverty or the need to keep up appearances, divorce unavailable to nearly all.

What are the equivalent pressures from today?
  • Options

100 years ago life expectancy was about 45. No time to get depressed and too busy staying alive and going forth and multiplying before the flu, syphilis, cholera, hard work or blood poisoning gotcha.

Suicide is a selfish act if regarded from the view of surviving dependants and loved ones. However, one's life is one's own and if one decides enough is enough .....

• Options

No doubt you'll be suprised then when I tell you that I know of two or three London-based Academics in the field of Adult Psychiatry that still believe in electric shock treatments for some mental health issues.

PEP - thinking of you. 

• Options
    So 100 years ago the pressures included no social security, no job security, no free health care, disease far more likely to kill or maim you, high infant death rates, no toleration of illegitimacy or homosexuality, the work house, limited old age pensions, poverty or the need to keep up appearances, divorce unavailable to nearly all.

100 years ago our upbringing and values were totally different. You knew what you had and got on with it. TV, Radio and now the internet has provided the added pressure to some of what life could be. There may have been little financial support years ago but communities looked after each other much more than they do now which helped to deal with life.
  • Options

100 years ago our upbringing and values were totally different. You knew what you had and got on with it. TV, Radio and now the internet has provided the added pressure to some of what life could be. There may have been little financial support years ago but communities looked after each other much more than they do now which helped to deal with life.
    Did they?  Why did we have workhouses then?

Communities didn't look after single mothers (who were sometimes locked up as "mad"), if you were gay you didn't tell anyone and it was a criminal offence and the mentally ill were hidden away.

Still not sure how TV and the internet have caused equivalent pressures.  There was pressure then to "keep up appearances especially for the middle class. There was fashion and trends too.   Close communities also force people to fit in whether they like it or not.

• Options

Did they?  Why did we have workhouses then?

Communities didn't look after single mothers (who were sometimes locked up as "mad"), if you were gay you didn't tell anyone and it was a criminal offence and the mentally ill were hidden away.

Still not sure how TV and the internet have caused equivalent pressures.  There was pressure then to "keep up appearances especially for the middle class. There was fashion and trends too.   Close communities also force people to fit in whether they like it or not.

Never heard of the coalmining communties then? the most close knit communties i have ever encountered who risked their lives every single day just to survive and when somebody was ill or widowed had help from their neighbours immediately.  
  • Options
    Problems existed 100 years ago without a shadow of a doubt our lifestyle now and quality of life is substantially better.  However the pressures and anxieties people go through nowadays are not better or worse only different. People battled with mental illness 100 years ago just as much as they do now, however now we live in a more tolerant society where you can voice your views and opinions without being ostracised for it. We have the Samaritins and other helplines now, support groups and wonderful little threads like this giving people the option to express theirselves so more people are aware of problems. 

Unfortunately for some reason many do not open up or confide in others and things get too much for them to cope on their own. these are the people we need to look out for as we may never know.
  • Options
    100 years ago people beleived they wouldnt go to heaven if they took their own lives---The Church wouldnt even bury you. Mind you  even today we had to get special permission before there was a mass for my work mate.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!