Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the sun

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011

• Options

i said to my mrs that it'll be an affair of some sort or gambling debts or maybe gay , something has pushed him into a horrible place

sad sad news

did justin fashanu commit suicide ?

Was only reading about Justin Fashanu the other day. Allegedly commited suicide soon after returning from America where he was arrested for an alleged sexual assault. Case was dropped by the police but who knows if this was the last straw for someone living life as the only openly gay footballer?
  • Options
    its a terrible terrible shame ,if the "gossip " is true its not the public pain he may have had to come to terms with but the reactions of his family ..they would have mattered most to him i am sure

the world is a much poorer place today

RIP Gary Speed and thoughts are with your family
  • Options
    If this is true (about the Sun) then with Leeson Inquirey (sic) going on they should ask the question.

There are enough free papers and E news out there --straight to your phone cant see why people would buy papers these days.
  • Options
    Let's not sink into believing unfounded gossip which might turn out to be completely inaccurate.

One thing in sure of though is that some piece of news on Saturday triggered this. Those he was with on Saturday say he was in good spirits, came across fine on football focus , spoke about the dinner he was going out to on Saturday night and the golf event he was participating in a couple of days time. Im no expert, but that doesn't appear to be the mindset of someone about to top himself.
  • Options
    Trouble is, most online news is as shit as the gutter press. Its even less reliable, even more celebrity-gossip weighted and even more likely to be written by journalists with the integrity of a hedge fund manager and intelligence of pasta. Witness the current Twitter rumour, which as far as I'm aware has not one shred of evidence to back it up, yet has been retweeted thousands of times, and whose very existence besmirches the name of Gary Speed. Its all just desperately sad.
  • Options

Scousers probably spreading The Sun rumours.

I agree with AFKA though, seems so strange that literally everyone around him said what good spirits he was in. But you never know what's going on deep down

• Options
    edited November 2011
    It appears that at least two papers were running with a story, but who really cares whether it was true as its nothing criminal - the whole thing shows what a desperate situation he found himself in - so very, very sad. He will be missed in and out of football.
  • Options
    It appears that at least two papers were running with a story, but who really cares whether it was true or not as its nothing criminal - the whole thing shows what a desperate situation he found himself in - so very, very sad. He will be missed in and out of football.
    Does it? Where does that 'appear'?
  • Options
    Not related to the current news but sums up todays press..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leroy, it doesn't 'appear' anywhere today and should now be left alone.
  • Options
    The people i feel sorry for out from all of this silly gossip, is his two boys, wife and parents, the guy has been dead just over 24 hours and the rumour mill is already into overdrive. Lets just let the guy rest in peace.

Speaking as someone who has lost someone very close to them over the last fortnight the fact that people want to know what this is worth and that they would like this makes me cold and wants to lash out but somehow you have to keep calm.

RIP Gary Speed, my thoughts are with your wife your two sons and parents.
  • Options

That may have been true pre-Leveson but there has been some major management changes at NI and plenty of lines in the sand drawn - for now at least.

if you believe that, then you'll believe anything you read in the Sun. You may have noticed that James Murdoch remains firmly in his job. Until WE change, and stop buying papers who peddle this crap, they will just lie low for a few months and then carry on as before. Did anything change with the paparazzi after Diana's death? On Radio 4 they interviewed some black-cab drivers about Leveson and what was coming out, and half of them said "couldn't give a monkey's". Somebody above is having a go at "Scousers" but they are the only community to stand up to the Sun, and its a pity more don't follow their lead.
  • Options

Its common practice for the tabs to phone their victim at the 11th hour and offer them a chance to “comment” on the story, often in the hope that they’ll play ball and be co-operative – although they will run the story anyway even if they don’t play ball.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I just cannot for the life of me believe that The Sun, in the middle of the worst scandal in News International’s history would be so stupid as to get involved in a story like this.

The senior people there would have been warned by The Murdoch Crime Family that they are walking on egg shells and that they need to be squeaky clean until the storm passes – which it is a long way from doing.

In addition, ‘outing’ people (outside of the political arena) is now seen as completely out of order by most people, especially when there are families involved, and I can’t remember the last time The Sun exposed a big name as being gay in the last couple of years – although I could be wrong on that.

To really get a handle on this you would need to know – via medical records if possible – if Speed had a history of depression although there is the chance he had problems but never had them treated.

Having said all of that, there is something worryingly sudden and impulsive about his suicide that leaves me wondering if there was something about to come out publicly.

• Options
    Is that real?
  • Options

Having said all of that, there is something worryingly sudden and impulsive about his suicide that leaves me wondering if there was something about to come out publicly.

Thing is we just don't know if it was sudden or impulsive.  It might well have been and a particular trauma caused him to take his own life.

But it could have been something he had planned and/or thought about for some time.  He may even have already made his decision before going on football focus or talking to his friends over the weekend which is why he appeared so calm.

We just don't know and perhaps we never will.
  • Options

That may have been true pre-Leveson but there has been some major management changes at NI and plenty of lines in the sand drawn - for now at least.

if you believe that, then you'll believe anything you read in the Sun. You may have noticed that James Murdoch remains firmly in his job. Until WE change, and stop buying papers who peddle this crap, they will just lie low for a few months and then carry on as before. Did anything change with the paparazzi after Diana's death? On Radio 4 they interviewed some black-cab drivers about Leveson and what was coming out, and half of them said "couldn't give a monkey's". Somebody above is having a go at "Scousers" but they are the only community to stand up to the Sun, and its a pity more don't follow their lead.

Sorry Prague, but will have to respectfully disagree with you there.

NI – albeit kicking and screaming – has been forced to make some massive management changes since the NOTW scandal and The Dirty Digger has even sacked the head of News Limited in Australia and appointed a new broom there.

James Murdoch is there for now at NI but has been forced off the board at The Sun and the NOTW and most people in the know reckon it is only a matter of time before Rupert is pressured by the big institutional investors in the US to make James take a break from NI.

Does this mean that The Sun will suddenly become The New York Times? No, but for the time being they are playing a straight bat, how many sensitive stories have they broken since the NOTW thing blew up? None, nada, zilch. Its celeb bullshit all the way.

The Dirty Digger DID clearly take his eye well off the ball of his UK papers and James Murdoch completely lost control of the joint but – and I am not saying that Murdoch Senior is not a complete arsehole – but he is not stupid.

He knows that The Sun is one false move from being forced to go the same way as the NOTW and he is not going to let that happen, if he loses The Sun then he uses his main UK political power base and that ain’t gonna happen.

He has quite clearly ordered The Sun management to pull back since Levenson and if someone did pursue Speed about the story in question then they are going to face serious consequences from The Dirty Digger, because this would be the last thing he needs right now.

For my part, I at least have the consolation on knowing that a business friend of mine has shagged the current Mrs Rupert Murdoch. Not much but it is something.

• Options

I am with Prague on this one , The stuff about Millie and her voice mail really peed me off i had un ashamedly been a daily buyer of the Sun (even after Hillsboro)

But as i now have children of my own things mean more to me now and i am more considered in what i find offensive

The Sun over stepped the mark and i no longer buy it and more should feel that same

• Options
    Let's not sink into believing unfounded gossip which might turn out to be completely inaccurate. One thing in sure of though is that some piece of news on Saturday triggered this. Those he was with on Saturday say he was in good spirits, came across fine on football focus , spoke about the dinner he was going out to on Saturday night and the golf event he was participating in a couple of days time. Im no expert, but that doesn't appear to be the mindset of someone about to top himself.
    Dan, you'd be surprised how well people with mental illness can hide things. It doesn't surprise me at all that he could appear normal and yet his head was probably in turmoil.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

You miss quoted me there Prague. That's Ormy's view, not mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that real?
    If only.
  • Options
    Let's not sink into believing unfounded gossip which might turn out to be completely inaccurate. One thing in sure of though is that some piece of news on Saturday triggered this. Those he was with on Saturday say he was in good spirits, came across fine on football focus , spoke about the dinner he was going out to on Saturday night and the golf event he was participating in a couple of days time. Im no expert, but that doesn't appear to be the mindset of someone about to top himself.
    Dan, you'd be surprised how well people with mental illness can hide things. It doesn't surprise me at all that he could appear normal and yet his head was probably in turmoil.
    agree
  • Options
    Ormiston

I hope you are right. You clearly have a better view of the detail than I. But you'll forgive me if I remain sceptical. The man has no morals whatsoever, and as long as he thinks the Brits want disgusting crap disguised as journalism. he'll give it to them. Did he care about the Hillsborough coverage? Not a jot.Why, because it wasnt a big enough boycott to worry him. If the Sun's national circulation falls significantly, then he might think again. But only in a positive way if he saw that the beneficiaries were not the Star, the Express and the Mail, who are all as bad in their subtly different way.

Loved your last line though. How did he rate her, and was it good enough for a repeat? Or was his wallet not sufficiently well endowed?

Blimey, I've gone all tabloid...
  • Options
    Ormiston

I hope you are right. You clearly have a better view of the detail than I. But you'll forgive me if I remain sceptical. The man has no morals whatsoever, and as long as he thinks the Brits want disgusting crap disguised as journalism. he'll give it to them. Did he care about the Hillsborough coverage? Not a jot.Why, because it wasnt a big enough boycott to worry him. If the Sun's national circulation falls significantly, then he might think again. But only in a positive way if he saw that the beneficiaries were not the Star, the Express and the Mail, who are all as bad in their subtly different way.

Loved your last line though. How did he rate her, and was it good enough for a repeat? Or was his wallet not sufficiently well endowed?

Blimey, I've gone all tabloid...

Ha! I had actually known the bloke in question for about 10 years and he had never mentioned it to me, not a single time.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

One night I was reading the brilliant “The Man Who Owns The News” by Michael Wolff when there in black and white it unambiguously named my friend as an ex-flame of the former Miss Deng.

I emailed him immediately and berated him for not telling me earlier and he replied, quite rightly, “Dude (he’s American), she left me for a 67 year old guy, why would I want to boast about that?”

I was actually at a conference in HK last month where one of Murdoch’s former key lieutenants told an off-the-record story about how Ms. Deng secured her man. Let’s just say he was carefully targeted.
  • Options
    Funny thing is the plebs touting this rumour on Twitter are simply doing what they are berating the Sun for doing, nice one people their Dad has killed himself and now the internet is full of losers saying it was because he was about to be outed
  • Options
    We were unfortunate in having a Sun 'journalist' as a neighbour for some years and she made our lives a misery,on occasions reducing Mrs M. to tears. She eventually moved away but I was reminded of her as I burned some confidential waste over the weekend which inluded a bundle of letters received from her solicitors over a long period of time.I won't go into detail but firmly believe that with people like that at the Sun they are capable of anything.
  • Options
    cooooooooooooooooooool anymore dirt ?  maybe  Little Murdock is gay ? how about telling us all about it ?
  • Options
    Funny thing is the plebs touting this rumour on Twitter are simply doing what they are berating the Sun for doing, nice one people their Dad has killed himself and now the internet is full of losers saying it was because he was about to be outed
    Exactly
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Someone said: I am with Prague on this one , The stuff about Millie and her voice mail really peed me off i had un ashamedly been a daily buyer of the Sun (even after Hillsboro)

But as i now have children of my own things mean more to me now and i am more considered in what i find offensive

The Sun over stepped the mark and i no longer buy it and more should feel that same

Wasn't it notw? - I appreciate the Sun is closely linked though

• Options

One night I was reading the brilliant “The Man Who Owns The News” by Michael Wolff when there in black and white it unambiguously named my friend as an ex-flame of the former Miss Deng.

I emailed him immediately and berated him for not telling me earlier and he replied, quite rightly, “Dude (he’s American), she left me for a 67 year old guy, why would I want to boast about that?”

Priceless :-)